“OK if you can read rules”
Review of Spirit Airlines

Reviewed 23 March 2024

Flight tickets were cheaper than bus tickets, so this was not big brainee decision to give a try to the Spirit. Not sure why there are so many poor reviews as already at booking it was clear, that this airline is not for those with luggage but only small handbag. If you plan to bring some luggage, then this airplane is not for you - so simple, as extra costs are very steep for small bag upgrade - 2x much as plane ticket.

We downloaded Spirit app and check-in was a breeze. But make screen capture of boarding pass as app sometimes crashed and QR code did not show up. In the airport at the gate, they offered to print boarding passes for affected persons, which had the same issue. Spirit employees were polite and effective. I was surprised by the leg room - very big even in the basic seats.

Problems: Our flight was delayed both times – the first time we were informed only in airport, so we ended to wait 2 extra hours – no explanation – we could see, that airplane was in Las Vegas for more than 6 hours before and why it was delayed did not make sense. On the flight back again flight was delayed – but this time they informed already in the morning in the app and we spend extra 3 hours in city. A bit of warning – at some stage they decreased the delay by 30 minutes and that was a bit strange, but we managed to arrive on time. To give credit – Spirit airlines sent both times discount coupons for 50USD to be used on the next flight (more than we paid for tickets), but we did not have opportunity to test them. But Spirit airlines food voucher for 14USD was good and was redeemed in Las Vegas airport.

This is a cheap airline, so we did not have big expectations and we have no regrets. But I would not recommend connecting flights as we saw more Spirit airlines flights delayed, but for short direct flights this is good airline.

Date of travel: February 2024
1  Thank Gints K

Reviewed 23 March 2024

Worst company charging extra fees for carry on bags that are legit. Both flights were late, the people back at Pittsburgh almost cancelled our flight seats because they had overbooking issues. Staff was rude and not understanding. Staff was acting like everything was fine not taking our flight delays seriously. A big no for Orlando team

Reviewed 23 March 2024

Worst airline ever and my first time with them. My flight got cancelled from Reno back to Las Vegas on Friday March 15th. No reason at all! I had to pay for an extra night at The Eldorado Casino in the amount of $173.50 plus food because they cancelled my flight! It was a total nightmare texting back and forth with with this person with the airline! Almost 2 hours and I hate texting!! I have filed a complaint with DOT so I can get my room money back and my food I had to purchase due to them cancelling my flight and having to pay for an extra night!! I'll never fly with them again!! Done with them!!

Reviewed 22 March 2024

Just my daughter and I flying and not only $300 additional ($700 total) for bag’s because we didn’t do it online. The counter was completely empty and the lady standing there said she would charge $25 per person if we didn’t go to the kiosk. Criminal airline, she wouldn’t even help with the sticker for the luggage. I guess they thought it was funny

Reviewed 22 March 2024

Great service, quick luggage handling, and excellent customer service support. Spirit fees can add up, so pack light!

• Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.