“Worst airline company ever”
Review of Spirit Airlines

Reviewed 23 March 2024

Worst company charging extra fees for carry on bags that are legit. Both flights were late, the people back at Pittsburgh almost cancelled our flight seats because they had overbooking issues. Staff was rude and not understanding. Staff was acting like everything was fine not taking our flight delays seriously. A big no for Orlando team

Reviewed 23 March 2024

Worst airline ever and my first time with them. My flight got cancelled from Reno back to Las Vegas on Friday March 15th. No reason at all! I had to pay for an extra night at The Eldorado Casino in the amount of $173.50 plus food because they cancelled my flight! It was a total nightmare texting back and forth with with this person with the airline! Almost 2 hours and I hate texting!! I have filed a complaint with DOT so I can get my room money back and my food I had to purchase due to them cancelling my flight and having to pay for an extra night!! I'll never fly with them again!! Done with them!!

Reviewed 22 March 2024

Just my daughter and I flying and not only $300 additional ($700 total) for bag’s because we didn’t do it online. The counter was completely empty and the lady standing there said she would charge $25 per person if we didn’t go to the kiosk. Criminal airline, she wouldn’t even help with the sticker for the luggage. I guess they thought it was funny

Reviewed 22 March 2024

Great service, quick luggage handling, and excellent customer service support. Spirit fees can add up, so pack light!

Reviewed 22 March 2024

Nightmare experience never flying a commercial airline again. I have flown Spirit for school and work roundtrip once a week for many years. I used to purchase my weekly tickets 4 months in advance. I never had a problem until today.

I typically request a disability seat as I am disabled as well as a senior but due to limited ticket counter staffing hours and inability to reach a live person on the phone I was unable to book the disability seat manually on my own when i booked today’s and last weeks flight.

I sat in the same seat today as last week, in the front row in seat 1F. I never have luggage. I had a small purse with me that has two straps that I typically hold or place under my seat. I have never been asked to place my purse which is like 10 x 6 inches in an overhead bin and i told the flight attendant that. As i am disabled and have no use of my right dominant hand and arm, it would be difficult in light of disability to retrieve my back. I have had 2 surgeries and have my medication in my bag. They do not provide water at no cost on spirit. So i brought water to take my medication once on board the flight. Anyway, when i told the attendant I have never been asked to do that , she told me i could place it under the seat. I complied with her directive and placed it under the seat. There were no other bags under the seat and the small purse was not encroaching on the leg space of passengers behind me.

As i am disabled and have no use of my right dominant had and arm, i was trying to use my left hand to push the purse under the seat. As i am doing it a male flight attendant, attempt to grab my purse out of my hand. I was shocked.

He said as he is trying to snatch my purse, “this needs to go up here (referring to a bin). I said she pointing to his coworker told me to put it under the seat. He snapped at me in front of everyone and said” No, she didn’t.” I said yes, she did. Then the attendants proceeded to call to have me removed from the flight. They were incompetent, ignorant and unprofessional.

I should not behave had to explain in front of the entire plane that due to disability and medical necessity why i needed to have my purse.

The supervisors who showed up were just as incompetent and unprofessional. Spirit staff refused to provide their names or id numbers. They asked me which flight attendant told me i could leave the bag under the seat, I didn’t know what nationality the attendant was. I said the obese one. I didn’t know how else to distinguish her from the other staff on the plane. They all had dark hair etc. They were offended by that factual statement. If they provided their names and their name tags were prominently visible I could have identified her by name. Since they refused to provide basic identifying information, I was limited in terms of how to identify the attendant.

Then, the captain stated he did not want me on the plane for no reason. I had to disembark. Upon exiting the plane passengers were clapping. I don’t know what they were clapping. If they could abuse their power and do this to me, it could happen to anyone. The way i was treated was wrong. I was publicly humiliated and to make matters worse ignorant people clapped while I was being subject to disability discrimination on a plane. What is the world coming to?

They refunded my fare but were unable to even give me a receipt.

I booked a flight on JSX, private charter service, to get to Burbank by a deadline. It was a game changer. Elegant lounge with outlets at every seat. No crowd. Lightening fast boarding. No invasive security. Top notch customer service. Free water, tea and espresso crafted drinks. Free beverages, snacks and alcohol in flight. Plenty of legroom and free WiFi in flight. No obnoxious low class passengers and flight staff to deal with. A private terminal with a private airport. I will gladly pay more for superior service and fly JSX to SoCal every week now than Southwest or Spirit.

Only saving grace from this traumatic experience today was flying JSX and kissing commercial flights goodbye forever,

Date of travel: March 2024
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.