“Kick Spirit to the Curb. Fly in Comfort and Class on JSX”
Review of Spirit Airlines

Reviewed 22 March 2024

Nightmare experience never flying a commercial airline again. I have flown Spirit for school and work roundtrip once a week for many years. I used to purchase my weekly tickets 4 months in advance. I never had a problem until today.

I typically request a disability seat as I am disabled as well as a senior but due to limited ticket counter staffing hours and inability to reach a live person on the phone I was unable to book the disability seat manually on my own when i booked today’s and last weeks flight.

I sat in the same seat today as last week, in the front row in seat 1F. I never have luggage. I had a small purse with me that has two straps that I typically hold or place under my seat. I have never been asked to place my purse which is like 10 x 6 inches in an overhead bin and i told the flight attendant that. As i am disabled and have no use of my right dominant hand and arm, it would be difficult in light of disability to retrieve my back. I have had 2 surgeries and have my medication in my bag. They do not provide water at no cost on spirit. So i brought water to take my medication once on board the flight. Anyway, when i told the attendant I have never been asked to do that , she told me i could place it under the seat. I complied with her directive and placed it under the seat. There were no other bags under the seat and the small purse was not encroaching on the leg space of passengers behind me.

As i am disabled and have no use of my right dominant had and arm, i was trying to use my left hand to push the purse under the seat. As i am doing it a male flight attendant, attempt to grab my purse out of my hand. I was shocked.

He said as he is trying to snatch my purse, “this needs to go up here (referring to a bin). I said she pointing to his coworker told me to put it under the seat. He snapped at me in front of everyone and said” No, she didn’t.” I said yes, she did. Then the attendants proceeded to call to have me removed from the flight. They were incompetent, ignorant and unprofessional.

I should not behave had to explain in front of the entire plane that due to disability and medical necessity why i needed to have my purse.

The supervisors who showed up were just as incompetent and unprofessional. Spirit staff refused to provide their names or id numbers. They asked me which flight attendant told me i could leave the bag under the seat, I didn’t know what nationality the attendant was. I said the obese one. I didn’t know how else to distinguish her from the other staff on the plane. They all had dark hair etc. They were offended by that factual statement. If they provided their names and their name tags were prominently visible I could have identified her by name. Since they refused to provide basic identifying information, I was limited in terms of how to identify the attendant.

Then, the captain stated he did not want me on the plane for no reason. I had to disembark. Upon exiting the plane passengers were clapping. I don’t know what they were clapping. If they could abuse their power and do this to me, it could happen to anyone. The way i was treated was wrong. I was publicly humiliated and to make matters worse ignorant people clapped while I was being subject to disability discrimination on a plane. What is the world coming to?

They refunded my fare but were unable to even give me a receipt.

I booked a flight on JSX, private charter service, to get to Burbank by a deadline. It was a game changer. Elegant lounge with outlets at every seat. No crowd. Lightening fast boarding. No invasive security. Top notch customer service. Free water, tea and espresso crafted drinks. Free beverages, snacks and alcohol in flight. Plenty of legroom and free WiFi in flight. No obnoxious low class passengers and flight staff to deal with. A private terminal with a private airport. I will gladly pay more for superior service and fly JSX to SoCal every week now than Southwest or Spirit.

Only saving grace from this traumatic experience today was flying JSX and kissing commercial flights goodbye forever,

Reviewed 22 March 2024

They are worst service.. they need better on their consumer service and work with other spirit airlines when there is a delay for those need to catch another flight. They need help give consumer some kind of support besides give them another flight like food voucher or help them with find a place close by airport.. I will never fly spirit airlines..

• Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
Reviewed 22 March 2024

Really bad experience with this company, they charge me 100 dollars for the back pack all the time I travel with the same back pack and now they charged me , with no reason is the last time that I use this company. The workers are for give you troubles and no to help you . No more 👎

Reviewed 21 March 2024

It was terrible experience with Spirit company and I will try never use Spirit in the future again. They sent me email, that my flight departure, will be one hour later. I came to the airport on domestic flight before 1 hour, 25 min. On the airlines counter didn’t give me the boarding pass, they are motivated that is late. They rebooked my flight to 9.30pm.
I had transfer in Vegas. And my second airplane to my last destination was around 7.30pm. Of course I arrived to Vegas after that time, and also it was around 1am. After that I had to sit at the airport hall night until 9.30am. Because the Spirit agents Instead help customers, they did against them.
Also the agent suggest me to upgrade my tickets and pay $33 extra for both airplanes. I paid and she gave me sit by the emergency door at the middle of the airplane. When the boarding started, the agent was standing on a front gate and checked on a measure stand bags. I had my small luggage and it was ok with size, but the handle was 3/4 bigger, what is blocked to move luggage down. I mark with red circle how was.Instead check exactly how it fits, she doesn’t care about it, they charge me $99 for that. My arguments were in vain, because this company makes money from nothing.
But my adventurous not finished. When I sat on my upgraded seat, the stewardess said that I can’t to be there by the emergency door.
My question, why this stupid company Spirit upgraded seats, make money and after that moving people to another seats??? The agent, who charge me $99 said that the company Spirit will refund me money and he scanned my ticket, because I changed my seat.
I waited already more than two weeks and I didn't receive my money back $33. Also I ask Spirit to refund me $99 for my luggage, that they charge me wrong. I did video, how fits my luggage.
I hope I will get feedback from Spirit and refund money $33+$99. Thanks

P.S
Spirit doesn’t refund me my money and gave me only voucher for $50 and it’s already expired in January. I don’t need their voucher, because I didn’t have plans to fly between October 2023 and January 2024.
X

Date of travel: October 2023
Reviewed 21 March 2024

Spirit credit card holder so after using it exclusively for 10 months. Trip from Detroit to Houston to Pensacola back to Detroit including two segments with big front seats only $350. Love it!!travel cheaper but in comfort all because of the credit card benefits.

• Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.