“Things change!”
Review of Southwest Airlines

Reviewed 21 August 2018

In my last review I mentioned that Southwest was pretty good. This trip was quite a bit different and I found out a few new things. I am disabled. I can't walk very well at all. This trip started in Tucson and here it was very good. The service I mean. The skycap at the street level took care of everything for me and my wife. We didn't have to do a thing except get screened and even that went exceptionally well. I tipped the guy double because his service was outstanding. Then we get to Midway, Chicago and things change! There was someone waiting for me with a wheel chair but, my wife had to push me around for quite a while and it was hard on her. Then on to Columbus. No wheelchair at this destination. It was pretty tough getting around with my cane. OK, now the return trip. At the Columbus airport the Skycap offered his help just as in Tucson and I asked him twice if he had my ticked and my wife's and he told me that he did. We get to the security checkpoint and there was no ticket for my wife. So, check things out for yourself before you let the guy go. We had to go back to the desk at the front and man, it took us a long time. Much longer than we had anticipated. What I learned was that tourist towns have attendants that are much more service orientated than the regular stop and go to your next destination airport. When in that type of place be especially aware of what you are doing. The same type of thing could happen to you!

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (30,579)

Reviewed 21 August 2018

This was the first flight my 14 year old Autistic son was on for pleasure. Usually he's on medical flights receiving emergency medical care. So while boarding the flight, I casually mentioned to the flight attendant that it was my son's first time on a commercial flight and was very surprised when she offered an opportunity for my son to meet and speak with the pilots before departure. With a little convincing he did and it was the highlight of his trip (he'll remember it forever)!

I'm appreciative of their kindness, patience and compassion shown to us during this flight. Southwest Rocks!!!!!

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

Always super. Reliable friendly efficient on time. Use humor where appropriate
Clean. Would prefer better snacks.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

We fly Southwest pretty regularly and overwhelmingly we have great flight experiences. The staff is professional and funny over the com system, the in-flight service is usually pretty quick. This trip there were 2 teeny-tiny issues. The first one was on the flight leaving MKE. There was a lady who got on and caused a stir and a backup in boarding because she claimed someone was sitting in "her" seat and wanted that person to get up. Anyone who flies SW knows that they they don't offer assigned seating. You get on when your group (A, B, C) is called and you choose an open seat. This lady was belligerent and had an open container of alcohol so she was escorted off the plane. After that, the flight was great!

The other issue was on the flight leaving LAS. During in-flight service I always ask for an unopened can of ginger ale and have always received it on other SW flights. For some reason, the head flight attendant on this flight refused. She said "no ma'am I can't do that". I told her I had always received it on other SW flights and she said "well I can't speak for them, this is how WE do it." She wasn't rude or anything like that, she just wasn't accommodating. I don't drink from cans or bottles that I don't open so I didn't get anything that flight. No harm, no foul...I'll just make sure to purchase my own before my flights just in case. Other than that, the flight itself was great.

It wasn't completely booked so my husband and I were able to sit comfortably without someone in the middle seat. I like the free in-flight TV (I do hope it gets a few more channels) and the option to purchase a movie for $5. In-flight Wi-fi is $8 and is useful if you want to check your email or go on Facebook, but don't expect to use Netflix or anything like that, they restrict those large bandwidth video-streaming sites.

I prefer Southwest over the other carriers because they don't "fee you" to death. I get 2 bags checked free which is worth the price of the ticket alone. You have the option to pay $15 for Early-Bird boarding which allows you to board the plane sooner. You can check in for your flight 24 hrs before. If your flight is at 8:00 am on Monday, you can check in starting at 8:00am Sunday, so for a better chance at getting in the "A" boarding group, try to check in as close to 8:00am Sunday as possible.

Although you have an option to upgrade, it really isn't worth it because there is no 1st class on the plane. All seats are the same and people who paid 1/2 the price you paid for business class can/will sit right next to you.

I'm excited that SW will be flying to Hawaii starting in December! My son is in the Navy and is stationed in Hawaii so now I can visit him, flying my favorite airline!

Reviewed 20 August 2018

When given the option, I always fly SWA. They are typically the least expensive (especially when you consider they don't charge for the first two checked bags or charge for flight changes) and have friendly staff. Their Rapid Rewards program is also very accommodating as (unlike many airlines) if they have a seat on the plane, you can use your points to claim it.