“Premium space. Not much more.”
Review of Singapore Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I flew Singapore Airline’s Premium Economy between Melbourne-Paris, Rome-Melbourne a few weeks ago and had the pleasure of experiencing the new Airbus 350 on three of the four legs and the larger A380 from Singapore to Paris.

Punctuality, technical standards and new aircraft were all in line with Singapore’s excellent reputation as was the fabulous Changi Airport. But was Premium Economy worth the premium? I’m not so sure...for these reasons.

I opted for the extra legroom after an incident in the Economy cabin of a Qantas A380 the previous year when an inconsiderate passenger in front abruptly rammed their seat backwards into my crossed legs. The injury was painful at the time and lasted for several days.

So with another waking holiday planned, Premium Economy seemed like a good precaution. I even paid a little more for a bulkhead seat and despite a tiny baby with an amazingly patient and unflappable dad opposite, the extra space was fabulous. But that was it.. the full extent of the offering apart from a better headset for the AV system.

Meals were ordinary to the point where I fondly recalled the quality of Qantas Economy meals last year. Wine was served in a plastic cup and seemed to be rationed. PA announcements were barely audible.

But the biggest change I noted since flying with SIA to Paris and Istanbul in 2015 was the level of care and interaction from flight attendants. Robotic and perfunctory may seem harsh descriptions but in the absence of even the slightest interaction, on any of the four legs, I can only conclude that this is the new normal on SIA. Is it generational, cultural, budget driven, are they simply too busy and does it even matter? Well I think it does, to a point, given the iconic status of the Singapore Girl and her depiction in decades of ad campaigns as a caring, empathising communicator across continents. The reality is somewhat different but how hard is it really to train staff in these subtle skills?

So Singapore’s Premium Economy is great for leg room. It’s just a pity about the cold shoulder.

2  Thank 99IslandMail552

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A perfect flight always starts at the booking stage & this was so easy with Singapore airlines. I downloaded the Singapore airline app & chose our flights with a 2 hour layover between flights but as there are quite a few flights from Bangkok it's up to you. I also reserved our seats at this stage.
All 4 of our flights were ahead of schedule.
Our transit at Changi airport was very smooth in both directions using both the bus & Skytrain to change terminal. Food on each flight was of a good standard & the cabin crew were very polite.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great way to travel, wider seats that recline with a foot rest, better boarding and food and beverages.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It was night time service. On time departure and arrival as per standard protocol. Food quality and service was excellent. Provides paste and tooth brush. Overall nice and must fly opinion.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our fifth trip with Singapore Airlines, flying Business Class to the UK, so we basically knew what to expect. I do however think the flight between Perth and Singapore (Business Class) is a waste of money. The plane we were on looked very "tired". I also object to having to pay for Wifi access after paying Business Class rates. A rip off in my opinion. However, would probably fly with Singapore again.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)