“Horrendous Flight”

Australia
5 helpful votes
“Horrendous Flight”
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Recently had a horrible flight on Qantas fron Sydney to Santiago, Chile.
The entertainment system on the plane failed shortly after the very late take off on the ageing Qantas plane allocated to the flight. This made for a flight full of agitated customers. The flight was at full capacity due to the cancellation of another flight.
The whole flight experience was an absolute nightmare with the cabin crew struggling to maintain basic passenger expectations.

Consider using an airline with a modern fleet that deliver on services for the paying customer. Never again on those very old Qantas planes that seemed to have commenced flying service way back in the 80s.

• Travelled January 2017

Sydney, Australia
4 helpful votes
“Quic check in”
Reviewed 1 week ago

Check in was easy over the internet. Service on the flight was good. However they have very limited gluten free options. I was offered an apple. Healthy but I would have preferred nuts or rice crackers. Baggage collection was quick.

• Travelled May 2017
Frankston, Australia
7 helpful votes
“Other Airlines will be strongly looked at in the future”
Reviewed 1 week ago

After boarding the plane for my departure flight, I found that my seat would spontaneously just tilt back and would not stay in the upright position for the entire flight. I informed the flight staff before take off and they said they would inform maintenance. During the flight, I noticed that another gentleman had the same issue a few rows in front of me. The headset for the inflight entertainment would cut out repeatedly and made it impossible to watch a movie because you would not be able to hear the dialogue.

I was travelling with my wife and the flight attendant came to deliver in flight snacks (a mini hot pizza) and my wife was asleep. I asked for one snack for myself and one snack for my wife and the attendant told me she was asleep so she would not get a snack as there are not enough for everyone. My wife heard me talking and woke up and the attendant then gave my wife her snack.

Lastly and the most inappropriate thing that happened on the departing flight, around 10:30 am Melbourne time, was that I was using the bathroom facilities and a flight attendant forcefully unlocked the door, for what reason I do not know, and opened it. When she saw that I was in there she apologized and left! The seat belt signs were not on when I entered the bathroom and several minutes after the attendant forcefully opened my door, the seat belt sign went on for about 2 minutes. To me there is no excuse for this action, if the attendant felt I was in need of assistance, she could have knocked first to ask if I was ok, but she did not. There was no warning, the lock was moved to the open position and the door was opened within a matter of 2-3 seconds. I felt as if my privacy had been invaded and I became very anxious from that point forward.

On the return flight I had the exact same problem with my seat and also noticed a lady seated behind my seat and on the aisle had the exact same problem with her seat spontaneously tilting back and refusing to stay in the upright position. They moved her to a new seat for take off, then returned her to her original seat. To me this is a major safety issue that should be addressed. Again the in flight headset would cut in and out, 14 hours on a plane without entertainment does not make the flight enjoyable. During take off, I started to feel ill and informed the staff that I had nausea and diarrhoea. Because there was a gentleman seated on the aisle, I felt that he should be moved as I knew I would be getting up to use the bathroom frequently and it would have made his flight very unpleasant. The staff was very helpful, but stated that the flight was full and that they had no where to put him, as he wanted to stay on an aisle seat. I was seated at the front of plane (It may have been first class or business class) while I waited for a resolution and noticed there were several seats that were empty. I felt that the gentleman could have been given an upgrade to one of those seats to make things easier. Eventually the gentleman was convinced to move (I do not know where to), but this took around 45 minutes to be resolved, when I felt it could have been resolved immediately. Once again the staff was very helpful, but I did feel that they were trying to place the man in an economy seat when a faster resolution would have been to just upgrade him to an available seat that was comfortable for him.

• Travelled May 2017
Adelaide, Australia
15 helpful votes
“always”
Reviewed 1 week ago

Had a good flight, on time and very good service. Fly a lot with qantas and never had any problems, eg seats requested, luggage etc. The aircraft are always clean, when selecting your seats especially exit (international only) the charge is $90.00 but they are the cheapest I found, you don't pay for domestic, the only other airline that charges the same is British Airways. I flew to New Zealand not long ago and the aircraft broke down and you were quickly allocated a hotel in Sydney, and out early next day.

Travel Tip: To select your seat before flying, wait till one to two weeks before your flight go into your booking, forward seats are not avail before.
See more travel tips
  • Travelled August 2016
Sydney, Australia
26 helpful votes
“Qantas - Sydney to New York Never Again”
Reviewed 1 week ago

I am not ruling out travelling with Qantas in the future, however we will never fly Qantas to New York again, the problem is that at the first entry point to the US, customs and immigration has to be completed and bags have to be collected and checked in again, I am not blaming Qantas for this, however the whole process was appallingly organized, after navigating the torturous customs, immigration, and security, we then left our bags with all the others heading onward to New York as instructed, in a group of bags on the floor, consequently only one of our bags made it onto the flight. Then when we did arrive in New York and after filling out forms, the customer service was pathetic, we had to call 6 times, every time we were told our bag was found but they did not know when we were getting it, we even offered to go out to the airport to pick it up, however no one could actually locate the bag, after complaining that I had no clothes and was wearing the same clothes I flew in, our bag was delivered to the house we were staying at 5.00 am a whole 2 days after arriving ! The first day of our holiday was spent buying clothes so I could get out of the clothes I flew in. My advice if flying form Sydney to New York, is choose any number of Asian Carriers with a direct flight to New York, it maybe longer, but certainly it will be without the hassle.

• Travelled June 2017