“Comfortable short flight”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 7 June 2018

Living near Christchurch, Southampton airport was closer and what a lovely smaller airport it was. Train commute was easy and station is very close to airport. Flight was on time and seating was comfortable. Staff were polite and friendly and we were given a small snack FOC. Flight was very quick. Return flight was same and therefore would be happy to use this airline again.

Date of travel: May 2018
Write a reviewReviews (31,154)

Check out extra fees!
International baggage costs are 50 Euros per flight (100 in total) and applied retroactively, even before they were in place in my case and I could opt for them online (70 Euros)! Spend 3 hours on the phone to get information, no KLM customer service to speak of. Inedible food and no leg room, chairs uncomfortably hard without back support, Flying blue membership doesn't seem to work. More expensive than Delta or any other airline. Prices didn't drop after new no luggage fares were added!!

Date of travel: June 2018
Reviewed 7 June 2018

Flying home from New York to Cape Town via Amsterdam became a pleasure with KLM. The boarding in New ~York (JFK) was somewhat chaotic when the ground staff were adamant that all those boarding had to stand in a single file before entering the boarding area; as seems normal now, we boarded late. The boarding personnel were certainly unorganised and even rude at times. Once on the aircraft things improved. Everyone was friendly, courteous and helpful. After our flight out of Cape Town was delayed by 25 hours we were somewhat concerned when the captain announced that he was contacting Amsterdam because the in flight computers would not boot-up. Eventually everything was fixed and we could take-off about one hour late. The in-flight entertainment system (flight tracking) never seemed to work and it was difficult to determine the actual time in Amsterdam. The captain did however find Amsterdam and after we landed we made our way to the indicated gate only to stop short in order for ground staff to remove items in the way. The skywalk would not work and the captain called for stairs; on arrival of the stairs the skywalk started working and we could disembark (we thought). Whilst still in the skywalk the security doors closed and could not be opened; we were stuck. Once again every staff member tried their best and eventually the doors were opened. We managed two catch our connecting flight with a little time to spare. Thank you to the flight crew who made this saga a pleasant experience.

Date of travel: June 2018
Reviewed 7 June 2018

We were supposed to travel from Cape Town to Vancouver via Amsterdam on the 14 May 18. After check-in and just before boarding we were informed that the weather radar had developed an operational deficiency and parts would have to be flown in from Amsterdam. This would apparently take 25 hours. We decided to return home !,5 hrs drive) and by the time we got home we had received emails informing us of our delayed flight and the arrangements for the next evening and for our next flight out of Amsterdam. We departed Cape Town the next night and manned to catch our next flight out of Amsterdam. The flight was smooth and fairly comfortable (economy) but had we known of "economy comfort" we would have appreciated the extra legroom. The staff were super-friendly and kind and the drinks/snacks plentiful and tasty. The onboard entertainment system was varied, modern, up-to-date and easy to operate (earplugs supplied below standard). We also found the transit system at Schiphzl Airport easy to follow. Apart from losing 24 hours of our holiday the experience could be considered very good.

2  Thank 366bernhardt
Reviewed 6 June 2018

Last March I bought two R/T tickets from KLM's Web site for Amsterdam-Athens for use in May. Later that day I received an email from KLM telling me there was a problem with my credit card payment and to telephone them. I did so and the KLM agent said that he had to write a new ticket and took my credit card information. A few days later I discovered that my credit card company was charging me for four tickets, all with extra charges for different reserved seats. I called KLM in the US and after a lot of waiting they agreed to refund the charges for the second ticket purchase which they did. In checking my flight status on KLM's web site about a month later I could not find my reservation. I called KLM and they told me that KLM had cancelled my remaining reservation for some unknown reason. They issued me new tickets against the original booking number. The day before our departure no notice to check-in had been received and I could not find my reservation on the KLM Web site. My wife and I then went to the KLM desk at the Amsterdam airport where we learned that our tickets had been cancelled for the third time! We did not get the reserved aisle seats that I had paid extra for. During all these fiascos caused by KLM I probably wasted three hours of my time together with a lot of stress. Our return flight to Amsterdam was delayed by more than an hour. I will NEVER do business with KLM again.

• Check-in and boarding
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.