“Confidence and Kindness”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 22 October 2016

Generally the service was ok, however at each part of my combined flight both from Toronto to Amsterdam and further to Moscow on Oct,19 (696) - Oct,20 (907) there was an outstanding air hostess who did her job extremely well. At the longer flight it was a graceful dark hair lady in glasses, pity, but I didn't try to know her name. From Amsterdam to Moscow Eline was shining as a diamond with the edges of care, smiling and reliance. Thanks for the brilliance!

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (22,075)

Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

We flew KLM business class from Amsterdam to Nairobi. To be totally fair, we were on an older 747 plane. We sat upstairs in the front two side-by-side seats. We found the seats to be just OK and not overly spacious. They did go all the way vertical for sleeping, which was nice. The menu was passed out before take off. It listed both the food choices as well as beverage options. Drinks were offered first, then came a three course dinner. The food was good and the portion was generous. They also had a snack and beverage area set up for your use at your convenience. The entertainment system was easy to use and came with noise reduction headphone (which are returned at the end of the flight). The movie and assorted entertainment selection was limited in my opinion. Just a word of advice, unless you don't mind a lot of foot traffic all night long, don't select the front two seats upstairs in the 747. They are right next to the bathroom and the sleeping area for the crew. Other than that, we found KLM very enjoyable and would use them again.

Date of travel: September 2016
Reviewed 21 October 2016

KLM Business class is a solid if not spectacular option.

Amsterdam Schipol is a pleasant airport. The KLM lounge is reasonable by European standard- if clearly off the pace against top Asian Carriers like Cathay Pacific HK lounges.

The plane was a nostalgia inducing 747-400. I was on upper deck and lower deck on the nose of the place one way each. Hard product is full flat bed with again reasonable IFE selection but nowhere near as good as Emirates, Singapore, Cathay but not too bad. Food service all fine. Hence overall rating was satisfactory and the Dutch Delf houses gift is always a nice touch.

I would not hesitate to fly them again. (as long as the option is not a top Asian or Middle East carrier)

Date of travel: June 2016
Reviewed 20 October 2016

Experienced a disappointing return flight from Amsterdam to Hong Kong with KLM recently.

Check-in at Schiphol Airport was perfectly fine, flight departure was also timely.

Legroom was ok, seat comfort wasn't great, a rather snug fit for three men in a single row. It was a challenge for each of us to eat our meals as our arms were constantly bumping into each other. Seats did recline enough to allow for decent rest. Meals were of average flight affair. Meatballs and mashed potato were ok. Breakfast of scrambled eggs, tomato and soft hash brown - not great but edible.

In-flight entertainment was a disaster. The entire system failed several times during the first few hours of the flight, forcing KLM staff to restart the entire system, which took the entertainment system offline for 20-30 time each time. Eventually I gave up on trying to watch a movie and tried to sleep instead. As a consolation, KLM did provide €10 vouchers to all passengers for the in-flight entertainment problems experienced during the flight.

Sadly, more problems were to come. After arriving in Hong Kong, the plane had problems opening the luggage bay doors, which resulted in a 1.5 hour delay in luggage making it to the carousel. At no time did KLM staff come out to inform awaiting passengers why luggage wasn't arriving. We had to wait until HKG ground staff arrived an hour after we arrived at the carousel to provide an update. Another 30 minutes passed and finally bags arrived!

In the end, KLM had a very bad day with multiple major technical problems with the flight from Amsterdam to Hong Kong. One major problem is forgivable, two in one flight? That makes you reconsider using KLM again for future flights.

1  Thank BradJill
Reviewed 20 October 2016

I flew with KLM for the first time to Amsterdam to run the Amsterdam Marathon. When booking my seat online, I chose a bulkhead seat for the extra legroom. When I boarded the plane, I was asked if I wanted to change seats to accommodate a family who wanted to sit together. I agreed, and the wonderful flight attendant upgraded me to Premium Economy, where I had excellent legroom and good seat recline! The service from the crew was fabulous, and I felt like each and every one of my needs were attended to.
The plane itself was in good condition, and the crew was professional. The food and presentation of the food was excellent!
I will be flying KLM Royal Dutch Airlines again for sure!