“Worst Customer Service”
Review of EVA Air

Reviewed 30 April 2021

The airlines cancelled my flight due to limited flight. My original flight is May 20. Due to this changes I have to make changes also on my connecting flight. I asked to move it to June 11. I was told that I can only picked a date between May 24 to June 2 and for Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I asked to speak to manager if I can change it to June 11 since they are the one who decide to cancel the flight coming out of Manila on Tuesday and Thursday. The representative said no, that the manager will tell me the same thing because its a company policy. and told me i will have to pay the difference or cancel the flight and book it somewhere else. I travelled a lot and especially during this pandemic. Airlines are willing to make me call and change flight more than 2 weeks. I understand they're trying to consolidate their trip but if you are the one who's causing the inconvenience of customer, you should be able to be flexible. Also my flight from LAX to MNL on December 1 is bad experience too.

Date of travel: December 2020
    • Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (6,838)

Reviewed 11 April 2021

I had a great flight with EVA Airlines on my recent flight from Taiwan . The flight was uncrowded at around 60% of capacity. Check-In was smooth except that counter person did not know what my ‘known traveler’ number was when I presented my Global Entry Card for the TSA pre check number. It was a long walk to the EVA boarding gate from the Customs area. After takeoff, dinner was served 40 minutes later including tofu with three cup sauce, celery with tofu strip as the cold dish, Pear jelly and fruits(pineapple, apple, and orange) for dessert and fruit juice to drink. My oriental vegetarian breakfast was congee with aromatic bamboo strip, curry tofu with mushroom, and apple and orange slices as well. I also had some coffee that was just okay. The whole flight overall was smooth although it had a lot of turbulence, which is common for this route. The Captain spoke perfect English and Mandarin, much better than other flight experiences with EVA, so I thought I’d mention here since it was so impressive. Overall a smooth and comfortable flight !

Note: Requirements for Flying from Taiwan to US as a passport holder:

-Covid 19 negative test for airline during check in 72 hours before flight departure
-Fill out Passenger Disclosure and Attestation form for travel to the United States of America
-Fill out EVA Passenger Health Declaration
-Fill out online travel contact information before departure. The online form can be found either airline websites or USA CDC travel restrictions site. I did it one day prior departure. Of not completed, you may be subject to fine for $500 US dollars or sent back to original destination.

Date of travel: March 2021
Reviewed 13 February 2021

One of the great things about flying EVA is that they use terminal 2 at Heathrow which a lot of other Star Alliance airlines do and despite EVA directing you to the Air Canada lounge you can also use the United, Singapore or Lufthansa lounges all of which offer something a little different. I arrived early at about 3.30pm and while the EVA check in doesn’t open until about 5.30pm there was at the time I travelled in September 2019 an area where you could check in earlier which I took advantage of.

As I had plenty of time before my flight at 9.30pm I checked out all the lounges and I would think that the United and Singapore are the best ones to choose if they are open at the time you are there as both had staffed cocktail bars offering a good choice of cocktails as well as the usual offerings.
My flight departed around 9.30pm and on this flight my pre-ordered meals were served which were delicious and there was a noticeably better service flow than on my previous flight which operated during a time the airline was having some industrial action.

It isn’t a big thing but EVA offers two different amenity kits in business class and on flights from Taipei you get a lovely little Rimowa hard case which is fantastic but on flights to Taipei which this flight was as it continued on to Taipei you get a leather Salvatore Ferragamo kit which is also nice so you get a little variety if you do a return trip.

EVA offers a reverse herringbone seat on their 777-300ER which offer a good amount of privacy and storage and the window seats are ideal for solo travellers and the centre aisle seats are better for those travelling in pairs and each seat has direct aisle access.

The seats go to a full flat bed for the overnight flight and a comfortable pillow and blanket are provided as well as earplugs and an eye mask.

The food on this flight was much better than my previous flight to Paris as they offer a wide variety of choices that you can prebook on their website from a large choice that is not available on the flight for the main course for each meal and the pan seared beef with gorgonzola in port wine sauce that I had was pretty much perfect.

They have a good selection of wine and offer a great 2004 Krug as the champagne which is an expensive bottle for business class and far exceeds what may airlines offer in their first class cabin.

EVA air isn’t a very prominent carrier from Australia as the only city they serve is Brisbane which has a large Taiwanese community.

I really enjoyed my flights with EVA in September 2019 and hope to fly them again in the future.

Date of travel: September 2020
Reviewed 27 January 2021 via mobile

I’ve flown to Philippines many times over the years, and began using EVA a few years ago. They consistently deliver great service in the air and on-time flights. Recently we booked a flight which was subsequently cancelled, and they refunded 100% of the fare.

I do recommend booking directly, or through Orbitz as other travel agents (GoToGate) don’t refund.

Date of travel: January 2021
Reviewed 7 January 2021

Key Things to Remember before you fly: Fill out online quarantine declaration form within 48 hours prior to arrival time and get the screen shot confirmation needed for entry. You will need it at the check in counter. You will also need to print and sign the EVA Airways health declaration form ( fill it out before going to the airport, print it out, and bring it with you). These two steps will save some time and hassle during the check in process.
If you have both Taiwan and US passport, you need to give them both passports since they will make sure the US passport has the departure record and they will advise you to present the US passport at security check point. Also, show your TSA Pre-Check card if you have that at check in. Most importantly , Taiwan requires a negative RT-PCR test if you hold Taiwan passport to enter Taiwan(12/1/20-2/28/21). My check in process was very smooth. Different staff will walk to each one in line to make sure if you have completed the quarantine form online and health declaration form to each traveler. They also check your temperature before you are helped at the counter.

This flight was the Hello Kitty jet which is a pleasant surprise, but it’s just the painting outside. There is no Hello Kitty décor inside like they used to do. One pack of alcoholic wipes(total two wipes)was given to each passenger. Dinner was served within one hour after take-off. My vegetarian meal was good with “meat balls” made of tofu and green peas. Appetizer was cold Asian black wood ear and white wood ear salad with lotus seeds. Dessert was my favorite and that was red bean with sweet potato and lotus seeds. I was surprised that I like this combination. Restroom was a bit small compared to China Airlines. Leg room was bigger and seats were wider. Storage underneath the seat is smaller. Boarding was easy and fast since the plane was less than 50% full. The seating restrictions was very tight since flight attendants kept asking passengers do not switch seats. Breakfast was served around 2 hours before arrival. My vegetarian breakfast meal was congee with green beans, carrots, tofu skin and appetizer, which was “3 cup chicken flavor” but was oyster mushroom. Those were delicious. Coffee was okay. A very relaxing flight and smooth landing, overall.

Tips before departure :
*RT-PCR test based on result date within 3 days prior to departure date
*Since free tests around LA area and suburban areas are all back logged by at least 5 to 10 days, don’t schedule one of those right before flight . I would recommend getting the free test before booking tickets to be sure , or much later if you have an idea of your departure date. The final PCR test should be a paid test at a clinic or lab providing results within 1 day
*I used “covid-19 clinic” in Temecula for a travel use certificate at a cost $475 and knew the result in 3 hours. They have 5 other locations. I went there twice due to the timing and demand 3 days before Christmas. It was a 4 hour wait in the drive through and they did the wrong Covid test on me which not qualify for EVA requirements. I went the next day in early morning and it took only 30 minutes total to finish the proper test.
*EVA Covid test requirements: must include name, date of birth, covid -19, RT-PCR test type, result date, and Negative result . You can use your phone but much better to show the printout
*If you have Curative test center ( many locations ) nearby that’s free and it qualifies EVA requirement, you may us that , but it might be too hard to schedule and long time to get the result for the time in holiday season and before your flight.

Date of travel: December 2020
2  Thank MandC0218
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.