“Worst inhuman experience ever! Warning : never use this airline”
Review of Etihad Airways

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The people travelling on this flight were my parents : dad is completely disable and grandma is 80 years old with diabetes. Here goes
At the U.S. airport : i left my parents at their gate at IAD at 9:00pm EST. The flight was supposed to take off at 10pm EST. however the ground crew was unaware of why the flight was delayed and customers weren’t informed until 12:00am about the reason for flight delay. It was only after etihad airways updated their website was the ground crew updated that the flight had to emergency landing in BWI (nearby airport -1 hour from IAD). So basically there was no communication between ground staff at IAD and BWI even though airports are only an hour away. Other passengers already knew the reason for the delay but the ground staff didnt.
At 12am my parents were informed that the flight was postponed until 3pm next day and they were supposed to collect their luggage. The reason I dropped them at the gate was because they are immobile and can’t lift bags. Now they had to do all that by themselves and through help of some kind passengers. Etihad didn’t offer any assistance. Before dropping them off I had reminded etihad of my parents situation and I was told not to be paranoid. The airline made my parents go through the worst ordeal of their lives. Moreover the airline denied to give them a hotel even though the next flight was more than 12 hours away. I am from Los Angeles and my parents from India. We are not from IAD and we were only there for travel, so obviously they had nowhere to go. Moreover my parents have dietary restrictions. Where would they find jain food at Washington DC airport. My grandma has diabetes. So after incessant begging At 2am finally they were given car vouchers and a non ADA compliant hotel. Bear in mind - I have on record that my parents need wheelchair support all the way to their flight seat and now they are sent to a hotel with no wheelchair. They waited for 30 minutes out in the cold for the cab and then walked from the cab to the hotel. My dad was in a lot of physical pain all the while he was supposed to walk. Moreover the hotel didn’t have anyone to help with the bags. With the help of kind passengers my dad and grandma got their bags and waited from 3:00am - 5:00am to get their hotel room. They started from home at 6pm and until 5:00am they were still running pillar to post in their condition because of etihad. Moreover had they been on the flight jain meal would have been served. My grandma’s diabetes shot up because of that and my dad was in physical duress because of this. There were other families with kids also struggling along with my family because of etihad’s lack of empathy towards its customers. At the hotel there was a long queue and 1 person to manage the checkins and no other staff.
I was on call with customer service all this while to make sure my parents get wheelchair the next day. All they could tell me is ‘we are sorry for your inconvenience. There is nothing we can do. We hope you can call hotel and get the wheelchair’. Can you imagine! The sheer audacity. They were rude and said everything is under the authority of airport staff and they cannot do anything about it. I asked them for an upgrade as a part of the compensation to give my parents a comfortable journey after the nightmare of a night, they said we can’t communicate with airport authority or even make any calls. Like their customer service is literally a bunch of useless human beings. One of the customer agent even lied to me that he was sending an email to the etihad airport staff and didn’t. lied on a recorded line. What BS! My parents confirmed with the airport team if they received any email from customer service agent and they confirmed they didn’t. They were given their original economy seats. So my 3 hours spent with customer service yielded nothing.
Next they reached their gate on time. The flight that was stipulated to fly at 3 was then announced to leave at 4. It finally took off at 7pm because the crew arrived late. My parents had a connecting flight at Abu dhabhi with 1.5 hours layover, which they obviously missed because of 4 hours delay at US airport- only because the etihad crew came in late). The kids were crying at the airport , the old people were getting restless. But etihad just ignored all of it. I will write a separate post on the bad in flight experience my parents had.
On landing at the Abu dhabhi airport, my parents were told that their connecting flight was gone and they will now have to wait for 7 hours for the next. Imagine with no food supplies with them, how would my old parents wait for 7 hours at the gate. They asked the airline for lounge access which obviously the airline denied. Instead they started talking about legal contract a customer signs with airlines once they purchase a ticket etc.. complete lack of empathy. My parents hadn’t slept in 2 days. They would be reaching India 24 hours after their stipulated time and there was no remorse shown by etihad. After pestering them for 1 hour , they scammed my parents by taking them to some general wait area by stating we are taking you to business lounge. There was only water in the lounge. They were given food vouchers. There is a reason we asked for jain food on board. Because of the dietary restrictions. How will they find jain food at Abu dhabhi airport? Obviously they didn’t and my grandma fell sick because of fatigue and high sugar. The treatment my parents received at Mumbai airport would require another post.
Overall : the worst corporate organization with poor communication channels and customer service. If everything is fine , you are okay, but if something goes wrong they don’t have an emergency response plan and are handicapped. The organization doesn’t care about its customer and feels what can a single customer tied to his seat do. We will be filing a legal complaint against etihad in US for breaking various counts of disability Act. I had warned the customer service team and they literally told me - we don’t care you do what you want to. My parents came via Singapore airlines and I would say they have never had a better flying experience in their entire lives.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I will never book a trip again with Etihad. They cancelled my flight two weeks before the departure without any explanation or compensation. I booked my flight 3 month before so all the hotels and excursions were paid and we lost a lot of money. Is the first time this happen to me and I fly very often.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Eithad is by far the most disrespectful company I've had to deal with
From ground staff to cabin crew
To actually physically damaging our pushchair baby chair and thinking they can give me 50usd to shout up about it

Boycott

Date of travel: March 2024
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had booked Etihad offer of 04 days Stay under Etihad Stopover at Abudhabi program. I opted Grand Hyatt and had to pay for 02 days and 02 days were free under the offer. However, my flight is tomorrow and despite repeated queries till date I have no. confirmation from Etihad or Hyatt. Etihad customer care says Booking is confirmed but the link that they send shows waiting confirmation. When I checked with Hyatt they couldn't find any reservation on my name. This is may and rooms are available on other platforms. I checked social media (I should have checked before booking) I read that Etihad Abudhabi stopover program is completely a SCAM!! On top of it customer service is incompetent as I am. experiencing myself. Stay away from Etihad frivolous offers.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We specifically chose Etihad for its unique service. However, I was very disappointed. Firstly, the flight was replaced with an Air Seychelles one. Secondly, we were charged 12 times more than normal at the counter for 6 kg. I travel long-haul dozens of times a year, and unless a goodwill gesture is made, I do not plan to fly with this airline again, nor will I recommend it to others.

• Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.