“Refused boarding pass and held for hours until paid cash to Etihad.”
Review of Etihad Airways

Reviewed 4 March 2024

Myself and my wife are two Irish residents, we were returning to Ireland from a holiday in Philippines on the 28th jan.
We arrived in the manilla airport early to collect our boarding passes , which we had paid over 3000 euro . After queueing for over an hour at approx 14:45 we reached the Etihad agent desk to collect our boarding pass and check our bags. Our flight was a 18:45. The Etihad agent asked us to move from the desk after he had check our bags in for our flight, but he did not hand over our boarding passes at this moment. He refused to give us our boarding passes and did not tell us why ,even after I asked for a reason many times. He sent us to another male waiting beside the airport rest rooms, at a little make shift desk. they refused us our boarding passed and the second male was demanding cash from us, I explained we were irish and didn't understand why we had to pay cash for our tickets. We were held against our will (arrested - kidnapping) for over 3 hours , untill we paid the cash for our boarding pass that these males were demanding.we were let go through the boarding gate eventually after a long detainment because we paid cash to the Etihad agent. We were extremely worried that we would miss the flight as the males kept telling us we were running out of time to make flight and it would be our fault and we would have to pay more cash. We were travelling all day and did not get a chance to eat food and drink or even given a chance to use the rest rooms as they were denying our boarding pass and had detained us until they receive some cash. I argued for hours over the right an Etihad agent had to extort cash from us and hold us and our boarding passes against our will.
After all the damage , humiliation , stress and anxiety caused by Etihad . Myself and my wife went through the boarding gate and rushed to board the aircraft as fast as we could, we had no time to get food or use rest rooms ,both of us needed to use the toilet.
As we were boarding the aircraft and we had been seated. I noticed My chair was broken and would not recline. I had the chair in front reclined into my face for over 10 hours and it was extremely uncomfortable. It was impossible for me to sleep or sit with any comfort ,which was causing me great back pain and headaches.
My wife's entertainment screen was broken and we had asked two separate flight attendants to address the issue with her entertainment screen. They had fixed the picture but there was no sound on her entertainment system for over 10 hours. with no sound on the entertainment system and no support from attendings , this had caused my wife to be agitated and upset.again cause us great distress and making us uncomfortable and was not what we had paid for.
I have never been so upset or stressed in all my life, this incident has ruined our holiday and even left me a phobia of flying , back pain and headaches , stress migraine and my wife has been upset with me for choosing Etihad.
Myself and my wife are both traumatized by the entire incident and wanted Etihad to report this incident to the police, Etihad are not supporting us with our request , they are stalling and extending the investigation.
we had reported the incident to Etihad and they are investigating the incident, for over a month now.
Etihad stated that we should not have been held (kidnapped) for hours against our will and we should not have had any
Cash extorted from us. They stated this was criminal behaviour by the Etihad agent.
The broken chair and broken entertainment system for over 10 hours will be looked into as this is also unacceptable and not what we had paid for, which has caused us ,back pain , migraines and stress and anxiety.
This incident has been reported to Etihad in January and Etihad have not resolved the incident which has completely humiliated and upset myself and my wife . This incident caused ,stress and anxiety in our marriage and life and ruined a once in a life time trip, leaving us with phobias of flying.it has caused us great damage , stress and anxiety,back pain and migraine and left us out of pocket for cost by the detainment and extortion.

Date of travel: January 2024
1  Thank Shane M
Etihadairways, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2024

Hello there, we're sorry to hear about your experience. If you have already escalated this via our feedback form: http://bit.ly/EYFeedback, do reach out to us via our social media channels (Twitter, Instagram or Facebook) with your case reference number and we'll look into this further for you. Thanks. *Zia

Reviewed 4 March 2024

Worst service ever. Please dont book try other airlines. They dont know when they will cancel your flight , moreover rude customer service .

Date of travel: March 2024
Etihadairways, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2024

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We strive for better service and will address your concerns seriously. If you have any specific issues you'd like to discuss further, please reach out to us directly via our social media channels. *Ikra

Reviewed 3 March 2024

This airline had the potential to be one of the leading carriers, but they missed every opportunity to take a lead. I have tried multiple times claiming the miles through their app but didn’t work. Again contacted the guest email, and they denied my request!

Date of travel: May 2023
    • Check-in and boarding

We apologize for the issue you've experienced regarding your mileage claim. We'd like to assist you further with this matter. Could you please send us a private message with your booking details and the specifics of your miles claim? Our team will promptly address your concerns and work towards a resolution. *Ikra

Reviewed 3 March 2024

READ THE FINE PRINT! I managed to book a “non-refundable” and “non-changeable” flight and Etihad Airways refused to consider a partial refund or even offer a change of flight due to circumstances beyond my control. I contacted them 2 months before the flight is scheduled because the Visa was denied and consequently, I would not be able to take the flight. Customer service was polite, but copy pasting canned answers. The fine print mentions that lack of appropriate travel documents is on the customer… that is understandable if informing close to the flight… but providing 2 months’ notice and not even offering a “flight change” (for a fee) to book to a different destination is quite unreasonable and not at all focused on customer-satisfaction. They would rather stick it to their customers and pocket the cash then offer a clear, simple solution.

Date of travel: March 2024
Reviewed 2 March 2024

"I flew from Istanbul to Melbourne on February 20th with Etihad Airways (EY460).
1) On the flight from Abu Dhabi to Melbourne, my seat was broken. When the plane was about to take off, a flight attendant came and told me to put my seat upright, but the seat wouldn't stay upright. The flight attendant left, then the cabin manager came and forcefully pushed the seat forward to make it upright. However, the seat started slowly reclining again. In my understanding, the seat should be upright during takeoff and landing. When the plane was about to land, another cabin crew member came and told me to put the seat upright, and I mentioned that the seat wasn't staying in place. the cabin crew didn't assist me in this situation, and I'm curious about who would take responsibility in case of any danger.
2) I had enough of eating chicken and pasta on the plane.. Ok This is Economy Class . But after all, we still pay for it, but I still think we deserve a good service
3) Also Leg room very tight

Date of travel: February 2024
    • Check-in and boarding
Etihadairways, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2024

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. We are sorry that the issue with your seat was not promptly resolved by our cabin crew.

Regarding the meal options, we understand the importance of providing diverse and satisfactory meal choices to our passengers. We will review our menu offerings to ensure a better selection in the future.

As for the legroom, we acknowledge your feedback and will take it into consideration as we strive to enhance. *Ikra

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.