“Staff need re-training and forget making a complaint it's pointless”
Review of Etihad Airways

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After a bad experience out to Australia I was hoping for a better experience on the way back to Europe. The lounge at Sydney airport was impressive and I was initially very happy-it didn't last long.... I boarded the flight to Abu Dhabi and sat in my seat 14K- I had been given some news via a phone call in the business class lounge about my niece in Australia who was going through chemotherapy treatment in Sydney so was a little thoughtful as I boarded. I was Facetimed by my younger brother and his partner who wanted to say good bye. I told them the news but we tried to talk of other things and keep the conversation light hearted. The plane had not taken off and most passengers had not boarded by this time. Suddenly I had a flight steward come to me and interrupt the conversation and say a passenger had complained that I was Facetiming and that I should use headphones if I wanted to continue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was totally and utterly shocked as the plane had not even taken off- people were still boarding what possible disturbance could this be to anyone???? I know lots of people hate any public conversation but this was not while people were sleeping this was not while people were trying to watch something it was during the boarding process. I asked the steward if he was seriously asking me this as, if I was travelling with someone and we were talking, would that constitute a nuisance in the cabin??? He said -I'm sorry someone has complained and I have to let you know-I said 'you have to be joking this is madness!' My brother said OK let's talk anothe time obviously there is a problem. I was furious- I told the steward which fascist state are we living in where people can no longer speak? He left and later after take off the flight manage called Benjamin came and asked if there was anything he could do- I asked him why his staff are allowing crazy people to dictate their behaviour and that I have the right to speak to anyone I want to during boarding- he said he agreed and was sorry that his member of staff had been a part of that behaviour by my fellow passenger. I will never fly this airline again and suggest if you are planning to- think again! I complained to them on the way to Australia for their poor service and they took two months to get back to me- this airline is not worth one penny of the price you pay- the only good thing about them is the lounges- nothing else -and they are not worth travelling with them for. 0/10

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank Robsurmer
Etihadairways, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello Rob, thank you for your review. We appreciate you took your time.
If you like to lodge a formal complaint please send us a private message and we will advise on the further steps. *Isi

Write a ReviewReviews (12,858)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Fourth round trip from Manchester to Sydney with them in 12 months, solely because they’re the cheapest. This trip was the last. I’ll pay more to travel with another carrier in future.

Economy on a packed 787 and A380 going out. Seats hard. Uncomfortable. Really uncomfortable. Hate having to pay out to pick a seat and even within the 24hr check in when it’s free, you can only choose your free seat on the first leg. The second Abu Dhabi to Sydney was still chargeable as outside 24hrs. Why can’t they allow you to check in and choose a seat for free for both sectors?
Abu Dhabi security chaotic. The three hour transit turned into a mad dash from one flight to another with no chance of a shower or food and the food on board is insufficient for a 24hr trip. They charge now for crisps and snacks.
Return trip was good Sydney to Abu Dhabi simply because the A380 was empty and I got a block of four seats to myself and managed some sleep. I’d chosen an aisle seat on the next leg as am extremely claustrophobic but when I got to AUH I was in 23A at a window. Worst nightmare. Spoke to two separate gate agents who advised flight full and would have to take what I’d been given. Rammed in like sardines. The 787 doesn’t have pull down bljnds, press a button and the window dims. Great. But it stays hot with the sun beating on it the entire flight. Makes the wall warm and the plane itself was like an oven. Lack of legroom and hardness of seat cushion was unbearable for 8 hours.
Entertainment is good. Food is lousy. Three small meals and a warm bread roll in 28hrs. Crisps and snacks chargeable. I’ve made maybe a dozen trips to Oz with them in the last four or so years based solely on price and convenient departures from Manchester. No more though. Time to dig deeper and try the Far Eastern airlines.
Oh a few tips. Never ever book direct with them. Their website isn’t the cheapest and when you find a fare cheaper elsewhere they won’t refund the difference. I paid £730 this last trip and within a few days the same flights were on sale elsewhere for £100 less...
Also if thinking of business class take a look at fares from Stockholm or Oslo. You’ll find them less than half of what it costs from the Rip Off U.K., and never bid for an upgrade. The minimum bids plus my standard fare would have clocked up over £4K. Cheaper to book from scratch...

• Value for money

Hello Tom, thank you for your review. We appreciate you took your time writing about your experience with us. We value your insights and need those to improve our service. Thank you. *Isi

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Flew Etihad from hyd India to JFK on 19 th feb. The national airlines need to learn customer service from Qatar Airways and SingaporeAir. Etihad use to be good ,now feels like a cheap quality company. Etihad food quality and amenities have gone down. Very limited selection of beverages in the flight. No fresh towelettes for long haul flights. Abu Dhabi Airport waiting area in terminal 3 is horrible. None of the usb or the wire connections work in the seating area. The gate agents are rude. The 10:15 am flight from Abu Dhabi to jfk in flight service has been terrible. They serve you beverage after one hour and no breakfast, instead you are served lunch after 3 hours of flight time so that they can save money on food. Not much in the food choices either. In 14 plus horse flight you are served lunch to begin with, after another 4 hours you are given cold sandwiches which is cold and another lunch 2 hours before with a weird combination of chicken pasta and Mediterranean taboulleh and hammus salad with no bread or dessert. When asked am told that’s all they have. Plus while checking in they nickel dime you for a regular seat too.how can Etihad claim to be a National Airline of UAE? They can learn how to run a quality airline from Qatar and Singapore.

1  Thank atherk2015

Dear atherk2015.

We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed with our service. Can you please send us a private message and tell us exactly what happened so that we can assist you best?

Regards
Haithem

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Etihad recently changed there booking terms and you now have to pay for a chosen seat, or you can be allocated seats for free with a WARNING there may be a chance of separate seats. FAIR ENOUGH. what we DIDN'T expect is when we checked in, the plane was pretty much empty so we decided they could allocate our seats as we weren't fussed about where, we just wanted to be together. so of course Etihad seat us at opposite sides of the plane, FORCING us to pay for the privilege of sitting next to the person your checking in with. We thought this was disgusting and immediately our thoughts went to families, do they make a family of 4 pay an extra £200?! ( turns out reading some reviews yes they do split children from their parents) We emailed them to ask some queries and questions as to why they have done this and how their wording is totally misleading, we have received nothing but template emails not answering any of our points or questions and are now ultimately ignoring us... its criminal.

Date of travel: January 2019
    • Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank Claudia J

Hi Claudia, we are sorry to hear that you have not been seated together. You can choose to select your seats free of charge 24 hours before your flight during our Online Check-in. If you would not select seats, the seats are selected automatically and the system may split you. However if the plane is not full, you can also ask our Cabin Crew to change seats during the flight, or you can ask our Check-in staff if they can assign you seats together at the counter. *Marc

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We flew on Etihad airways from London Heathrow Airport to Phuket and return , it was a long indirect flight, the plane from London to Abu Dhabi was good not as good as it’s emirates rival BUT what I really liked is that the crew was amazingly polite hospitable and doing there best for everyone Wether you are economy class or first class unlike their national rivals , who are only interested in their first class passengers!!
Aircraft from Abu Dhabi to Phuket was a small one bit dated but again the crew was brilliant which made the long journey bearable

Date of travel: February 2019

Hi there, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the service of our Crew and your flight with us. Thank you for your feedback regarding our planes as it helps us to improve the experiences of our guests on board. We would be happy to welcome you on board again soon. *Marc