“Long Haul New Zealand”
Review of Etihad Airways

Reviewed 26 January 2019

From the staff at the airport, the flight attendant's and the transfers it made long haul travelling a lot easier and comfortable. Will happily fly with them again, the flight times were excellent and did the trip to NZ in around 32 hours with flawless transfers.

Date of travel: December 2018
    • Check-in and boarding
Etihadhelp, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2019

Hi Dot C,

thank you for reaching out to us. We are happy you had a nice flight and look forward to take you with us on your next adventure. *Sky

Write a reviewReviews (16,525)

Reviewed 25 January 2019

Every year I experience issues with baggage (either missing or damaged) but this year Etihad went a step ahead and I have several expensive items missing from my Checked in Baggage. I've submitted complaint but from my past experience I know that they'll hardly do anything. I'm a gold member but my return flight will be the last time I'm flying with Etihad. I'm heart broken because those were special gifts for my brothers, school teacher and little nephews and something I had promised them to bring. I'm absolutely speechless and shattered!

3  Thank Debdatta M

Hi debdattamitra,

I am sorry to hear about this. Please continue liaising with our Baggage Claims team, so they can advise you further. *Sky

Reviewed 25 January 2019

My cabin bag 'handle' wouldn't fit in their bag gage (I travel frequently with this bag and it's accepted on BA/Emirates/Virgin) causing me to check in the bag, resulting in my baggage being 7kg over the limit.

Charged an extortionate £251.00 for 7kg over the baggage limit, which was rounded up to 10kg, as informed Etihad doesn't have a price for 7kg.

Charged an unacceptable amount of £251.00 for being 7kg over!

I then traveled for 12 hours on 2 international flights without ANY hand luggage or personal belongings, including medication.

Had to leave my cabin bag in the Maldives to avoid being charged again on my flight home.

Airline check in staff were extremely rude, I was informed I have to check in my luggage or leave it!
Ruined the start of a special holiday!

Checked their website the pricing does NOT support what I was charged. Furthermore I have complained and they won't get back to me. Absolutely shocking.

1  Thank Rebecca Lea H

Hi Rebecca Lea H,

I understand that being charged for excess baggage might not be ideal. We always advise our guests to check their baggage allowance before traveling, to avoid situations like these.
The price for excess baggage allowance at the airport might differ from the one seen on the website, since the prices on the website are inclusive of a 20% discount, valid only online up to 48 hours before your flight. *Sky

Reviewed 25 January 2019 via mobile

Etihad has done it again. I am so impressed with this airline. The planes were clean the seats comfortable the staff were plenteous enough for them to manage almost all queries. The A380 from Abu Dhabi to Sydney was a full flight and the staff did an amazing job of keeping us all happy. The price was affordable the entertainment system worked and kept my two girls entertained with a generous number of inflight options for kids to watch. The food was good (as
Far as airline food goes) and I would highly recommend Etihad to anyone. Thanks to the staff for their customer focus.

• In-flight Entertainment
Etihadhelp, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2019

Hi Shesmoodie,

Thank you so much for the nice review :) We're happy to hear everything went well and you've enjoyed your time on board. Let us know when you'll fly with us again. *Sky

Reviewed 25 January 2019 via mobile

We had very good experience with etihad before but the last one was the worst. First off, boarding gates are not connected to the aircraft anymore, therefore we have to take a bus with our 7kg hand carry baggage with us and climb the stairs of the aircraft along with it. What if we have an elderly with us? how can he/she carry her baggage??

Then here comes the food. They offered us pasta or chicken noodles. which basically are both noodles. So, I chose the chicken noodles and to my surprise, it comes with a salad which is also a cold noodle, bread and butter and a sago with I dont know what (looks like mango but tastes like nothing). I didnt finish my meal because I didnt like it. So I was starving and was finally relieved when they started giving us the snacks.

Here comes the fun part, the choices for snack was sandwich or CUP NOODLES. The 3dhs cup noodles you could buy in any convenience store! so i opt for the sandwich. it had tomato sauce a bit of cheese and lots of spices in it. it was fine but i was never a fan of spices so if you dont like spices too, just choose the cup noodles. The cabin crew will also hand over some drinks. I think they did it 3 times the entire flight. so if you feel thirsty, you have to look for one crew and request for it.

Oh, and also they do not have the kit most of the airlines have which they leave in your seat before you enter the aircraft. no toothbrush, socks and eye covers. Maybe you have to ask the cabin crew for it.

1  Thank maumat04

Hi maumat04,

The airports have many aircraft arriving and departing, hence not all of them will have a jet bridge connecting the gate to the aircraft directly.

Also, we regret the food served on board did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please do let us know if you plan to travel with us in the future and if you would like us to select special meals for you. We would be happy to help. In the meanwhile, we will pass on the feedback to our team as we always aim to improve our services. *Sky

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.