“Business Class Scam”
Review of British Airways

Reviewed 16 October 2021

I booked and paid for what I thought was a business class seat on a flight to Athens. What I got was a premium economy seat. The first nine rows were business class seats, rows 10 to 16 were what should have been the premium economy cabin (but had been added to the business class section) which had less comfortable seats that didn’t fully recline, unlike the seats in rows 1 to 9 (I was in row 11). This is not a case of me being snobby, but simply a point of principle and a clear case of BA mis-selling. Had I known prior that I would be paying the same business class price but for seats that were less comfortable than other business class passengers on the same flight, I wouldn’t have booked. I complained on board along with several other passengers who also resented being scammed in that way. I also made a formal complaint to BA but was fobbed off. Apparently this is a long running scam, I don’t know how they get away with it.

Clifford

Date of travel: September 2021
1  Thank 56cliffordo
Write a reviewReviews (55,244)

Reviewed 16 October 2021

This was our first trip across the pond in almost two years. Pre-pandemic, we often took the British Airways flight to London and booked it this time to feel like we were in the UK from the moment we stepped on the plane! Well, the journey was nothing special at all. We certainly realize that the pandemic has changed what can and cannot be done and the airlines have had to economize in many areas. Having said that, the trip was average at best. We always travel in Business Class internationally and truly miss the upstairs Business cabin on the old 747s.it was so
quiet and private. We started in the BA Lounge, which was completely packed and barely offered a small sandwich to the Business/First guests.My bedded seat on the plane was quite dirty, filled with crumbs from the previous passenger (while I was brushing away the crumbs, I did find £5 in coins, so I guess it is not all bad). I guess they don’t vacuum. The dinner service was one tray with everything on it from the starter to the dessert and presented as you would serve an economy meal. Very disappointing. Breakfast was even worse and I had to wait 20 minutes to have the flight attendant notice my light on requesting a coffee refill….

They announced that they had fewer staff, so this must enable them to serve easier…..throwing all
the food onto a tray and putting in down on front of the passenger. Or maybe they are following Covid protocol and not able to properly service passengers paying thousands of dollars for a flight!

The economy section was pretty empty…..while
Business/First were full. There was very little
that was special about traveling in Business and we could have save quite a bit buying an economy seat.

Hope it improves!!! We usually love BA!

1  Thank Noconplaints1
Reviewed 15 October 2021

I suppose to fly from Vancouver to India on Oct 1st. There were some travel requirement which we ned to fulfil before we fly. I did all this, I received an email from British Airways saying I need to upload some documents on their portal by using booking reference number. I tried many times but system keep giving me error that reference number is wrong. I called customer support and discussed with them about this issue. The representative told me that, its not a big issue, you just carry you physical documents and present at counter in airport. I did same, my flight timing was 8:30 PM, i reached 4 hours early at airport. I was standing in the line up to get my boarding pass. When my turn came, the lady at counter asked me if i submitted my documents online or not. I explained them everything but they said its mandatory to do. We can’t allow you to board flight without that. I got panicked, like what is this happening..this is not my mistake..this is your system not accepting the reference code. The lady looked at her system and reconfirmed me the booking reference number. It was same as i was entering. She was also not able to do it and she said i cant do anything m sorry. You have to submit online documentation. I called british ariways customer support again, the person was reconfirming me same things i knew already, in all this mess at last the representative said very easily that mam you cant board this flight, doors are already closed. I was shocked like what and why is this happening. Then same person offered me to book another ticket for next day. I said who gonna pay for the hotel and cab i booked in Delhi. He said we can’t do anything. Then he said I can book for Air India flight same night (Oct 1st) i said yes just do it. But he said its gonna cost $1200 CAD for this ticket. I said whatever is happening is not my fault. Why should i pay more than what i already pay. My old ticket with Brirish Airways was for aprox $700 CAD. The person said i will refund you the money for old ticket. I didnt had any option and i was so harassed i just want to board flight, then i agreed to book new one. He started booking another flight with much more amount than I paid earlier. He asked me for card details to pay money for ticket. I gave him details for 3 different cards but none of them went through due to their technical issue. My new flight timing was 12:15 AM, until 10:30 my ticket was not confirmed. Once my ticket got confirmed it was still not easy to board flight because Air India have their own formalities to do. Somehow with the help of my brother I was able to complete the formalities just 10 minutes before closing of their boarding pass issuance counter.
Because of non seriousness and misguidance of British Airways, i have to gone through a lot. I still havent got my refund of old ticket. I have to pay way more amount for new ticket. I have to pay for hotel room in Delhi which i havent used. I have to rebook my cab from delhi to my home town and pay double for that. On the top of it that harassment and restlessness me and my family suffered from this incident is no payable. I would not recommend anyone to fly through British Airways. Very disappointing behaviour.

2  Thank 703sandhyar
Reviewed 14 October 2021

The flight was delayed at BER and the pilot was clearly annoyed/embarrassed by the situation. Though it does not help, it's to somewhat nice to see It's not just the passengers suffering. When arriving in LCY, the airport was in somewhat a disarray, with luggage arriving super late and at the wrong carrousel, again not the airlines fault, but putting a dampener at the overall experience.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Legroom
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 14 October 2021

The flight was busy, but everyone on the flight was keeping to the current regulations. The flight was delayed, but seems the fault was with Heathrow rather than BA. The pilot was very apologetic.

Date of travel: September 2021
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Legroom
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.