“Average South American airline.”
Review of Avianca

Reviewed 6 May 2022

Avianca is not a good airline nor is it bad. Our flight took place at 5:10 pm. We got to Pearson and Check-in was quite long. I had also found out our seats that had been in the window were changed to aisle seats. Avianca customer service did not do anything about it. After this, our gate was changed. The staff at the counter fixed the seat issue and changed us to the window. At 4:50 pm boarding began. We boarded without any hustle. The cabin crew greeted us and showed us our seats. The seats had the best legroom for a 5-hour flight. About 30-35 mins later we were in the air. 20 minutes later we were given chips, a drink, and a cheese and ham sandwich. This was the first time I actually fully ate airplane food. It was very good. Shortly after I went to watch a movie on the IFE. To my surprise, it was not working. Avianca crew re-booted the system. After this, the IFE did work, but slowly. There was a good selection of movies to choose from. I sat back, relaxed, and enjoyed the 2-hour movie. A few hours in and we were on approach to San Salvador. Prior to this we were handed out papers asking if we were going to San Salvador or San Jose, Costa Rica. This flight goes to San Jose with a technical stop in San Salvador. After this we landed and got off without a problem. 7/10. Had a few issues

Date of travel: August 2021
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank maryzu73

Reviewed 6 May 2022

I am writing this for my grandma, she traveled to Ecuador but with a layover in Bogota. I had paid her luggage online in advance (3 days before) and they charged me $65 3 times and when we arrived to the airport and we were checking in, they said her luggage wasn’t paid so she wouldn’t be able to take her luggage unless she paid AGAIN. I showed them my bank account and a confirmation from the airline saying that I had paid $65 and still they did not care. They told me to call their 1800 number which completely sucks. The “manager” pretended to call and she said they had refunded my money which of course they never did. I’m very sure she didn’t even call, she just pretended because according to her, she called the same 1800 number but whenever I tried to call them, they never pick up so quick so she was definitely lying.

Anyway, after them ignoring me and my grandma I decided to pay just so my grandma can go in. I ended up paying $80 again smh.
Once my grandma was inside the gate, I left because I thought everything was fine. We were in the airport from approximately 8pm until 10:30pm

Around 1:30am I was receiving calls from an unknown number and it turned out it was the idiot man from the airplane who wouldn’t let my grandma into the plane because she didn’t have a receipt from the luggage payment I made. We told them we paid and that it should’ve been in their system but of course their system, just like anything else, is useless. Smh

We were so worried and there was no way to talk to my grandma until she got to Ecuador and was able to talk to us. Then she told me exactly what happened after I received that call from that rude man. My grandma told me that he threatened her by telling her she would not be able to travel unless she has a receipt and thankfully there was two other passenger ladies who came and told this idiot that they would pay for the luggage but to let my grandma inside the plane. And somehow , he figured my grandma actúally did pay and they let her in. But before letting her in, my grandma told me she was literally in tears and they didn’t care. Smfh if it wasn’t for the two ladies coming who knows if they would’ve let her travel smfh
THe ladies had also told that idiot that they were witnesses of me paying for my grandma’s luggage during check in.

These people are complete idiots and I don’t go around calling anyone names but they really deserve to be called idiots or worse smh. My grandma has traveled alone and has never had such a bad experience, she was crying telling me how they treated her and how they wouldn’t even help her with anything.

Please don’t waste your money on Avianca. They are careless and beyond disrespectful. There were many people with complaints, not just my grandma.

Stay away from this airline!!

Reviewed 6 May 2022

She did not want my parents go in to the flight because of the yellow fever vaccination but Avianca's rules are +65 (Senior) do not need it well Julianna Lopez made the decision of not let my parent get in to their flight... her manager want to charge them $300 for the r/s come on this has to be a joke. Finally the did not get charge but their luggage was vandalize, they remove cloths, perfumes and purse from them. What a great service plus no one is answer the calls to fill a formal complain.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank andreamS4749RQ
Reviewed 5 May 2022

From the beginning I purchased a seat and it was changed to a seat that didn't recline. The worse feeling for a 6hour flight. They only serve a tiny bottle of temp water with no ice! They don't sell anything but they do have coke for only business class. [Which they also don't get ice]. On 5he connection flight from Bogota, Colombia I bought 2 bottle of coke and got ice from a bar so I was prepared for this next flight... to my dismay... they do not allow you to carry in any liquids even if was bought at the terminal. Apparently, you are supposed to check it at the gate or somewhere unknown then they will give it to you at the plane doors.... it's damn soda!! So I had to surrender 2 bottle of coke and a big water bottle. Their sandwiches suck too, but its the only thing available unless you buy food at the terminal. [At least spirit airlines has options to sell and have Free Ice!] They also come by to pick up trash once after they finish service then at final decent. I don't want to get I to how much of a pain in the rear it was to try to purchase sears so I don't get stuck in the very last row again. [Almost did] I didn't mind paying $20 to move up some rows. NEVER AGAIN!!

Reviewed 4 May 2022

I kept my expectation low to zero for this one and so should you if you plan to fly with Avianca.
Service at the gate sucked both times in SFO and SAL.
They didn't even call out the business class passengers. There was one line for everyone. And when I tried to ask at the gate in SAL the guy checking the tickets purposely walked away instead. Then I just pretty much have to yell to ask if they boarded business class already. Then he apologized and let is in.
What did we spend our money on? Might as well fly economy instead of pay 3x the price for shittier service.
We had one sandwich and chips and water for a 5.5 hour flight. No alcohol or other drinks available. Only coffee, coke, or apple juice.
XL business class seat wasnt very comfortable either.
I hope you read this before you press that book button and have to regret it.
Zero or negative stars for this airline.

Date of travel: May 2022
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.