“Staff are Trained experts in ripping off the Customer”
Review of Avianca

Reviewed 5 March 2020

I was travelling solo around Colombia and was planning to fly to the Amazon for part of my trip but became very ill with probable Lung infection after seeing a doctor in Colombia who advised me not to fly and I was treated. I called and cancelled my airline ticket with AVIANCA and filed for a refund including the note from the doctor. That was January 17. Since then I have sent dozens of emails and talked to at least 8 Avianca employees. Also 2 trips to the airport but the lines were 15-20 people long and 2 counters open. wait time: 2 hours. Each time you talk to them they tell you :your claim was not processed right, your ticket number is wrong, we cannot find you in the system, we need another note from the doctor, I will have the superviser call you tomorrow....On and on and on untill you want to scream, and I did after spending 3 hours at the Avianca office in Bogota with an agent. She finally told me that I would get my refund 165$ minus 29$ fee in 30 days and gave me the conformation number and of course I did not. And my emails are never answered, and they do not called you back, and you are on hold for long times, and when I asked them directly if they ever give flight refunds as the website clearly states, they will not answer. They are clearly trained to run you in circles untill you drop. This company in my opinion should be held responsible somehow for the truely unlawful treatment of the consumer. I have since read the dozens of aweful stories of people losing a lot more that I did. I am an avid traveler and have never had this treatment. At this point I have no more opions to get the refund than to warn others of this scam. That said Colombia is FULL of wonderful, kind honest people and it is very beautiful and safe. Just steer clear of AVIANCA AIRLINES!!!!!!!!

Date of travel: January 2020
1  Thank jennybG6301GF

Reviewed 5 March 2020

Due to misinformation I received from the host of an event I was attending, I had to change my return flight from Barranquilla to Bogota to the day prior. I was advised of this change two hours after making my original purchase. The Avianca website clearly states that reservations can be cancelled within 24 hours of purchase with no penalty. I cancelled and rebooked the new flight within three hours of the original purchase so no problem with time. That was on February 4th. I immediately filed their required refund request and received confirmation. It is now almost a month and they still have not refunded my credit card the $556 for the cancelled flight that was clearly within their stated policies. Trying to get information is futile because you just got transferred from one to another and nobody can resolve it. This is very poor customer service and unacceptable.

Date of travel: February 2020
    • Food and Beverage
3  Thank Jrv0247
Reviewed 4 March 2020

A very good flight - upgraded to Premium Economy very good service all round. Staff very helpful and details of what to expect on arrival also very useful.

Date of travel: February 2020
    • Food and Beverage
1  Thank christopherbailey3
Reviewed 4 March 2020 via mobile

I got there 3 mn late and I have to buy another airplane ticket for another day and paid $1000. Dlrs extra!!! Then they were delay 2 hours and denied to give any compensation! Worst airline and workers are very rude!!!

Date of travel: March 2020
Reviewed 3 March 2020 via mobile

I booked my Avianca flight to have a long layover in DC to see my parents. A month before my flight, Avianca sends me an email letting me know they had sold the seat they sold me and that my new flights would nearly double my flying time and give me stressful and short connections. I didn't complain. Now I show up at the airport and they delayed my first flight giving me 15 minutes in Bogota to connect. Last night, they cancelled my friends flights due to weather. I checked the weather, it was a lie.. they just can't keep a schedule at all or honor commitments when I already had selected seats on a far superior itinerary. No apologies were offered. They are easily the worst airline I have encountered anywhere in the world.

Date of travel: March 2020
    • Value for money
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.