“use this airline to travel within the Americas over ANY other airline”
Review of Avianca

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Avianca is for sure the best choice while flying within the Americas. They also provide service to Europe.

Date of travel: October 2018
    • Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (14,616)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

In August I bought two direct return tickets, Armenia/Bogota/Havana, a 7 hour trip including changes, through Atrapalo.com at an excellent price. A few days later I was notified that I would now fly from Armenia the night before and Bogota/El Salvador//Havana the following day A 2 day trip. I refused and asked Atrapalo for a refund. I then rang Avianca to complain but they then offered me a new direct flight on a different day which I accepted. I mentioned I had asked for a refund but they assured me that the new tickets would override it, many messages followed and I trust them. Avianca issued new tickets and all seemed to be ok until check in time the day before when to my dismay the tickets appeared invalid ` because there was a refund in place"and if I wanted to fly I now would have to pay three times as much and nobody in Avianca would accept responsibility. As I had hotels and tours booked and paid I managed to find tickets with WINGO a low cost airline and I had a good trip and excellent service. Avianca has now reimbursed me but only for one ticket and I`m now having to start a new issue because they are saying they have reimbursed for two but the bank says there is only one Avianca deposit. This is not the first time I had had problems with Avianca and I`ve decided never again with them.

Date of travel: October 2018
    • Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We flew Avianca from Lima to Cusco and back.

On the way there, the system was down for an hour and a half. This resulted in many people on our flight having the seats they purchased be given to other people the day of. One lady was unfortunate enough to be bused to the plane, only to be taken back to the airport after another person took her seat.

On the way back, the flight before ours was delayed several hours while ours was cancelled without warning. This again sent everyone back to the front of the airport to the check-in line. They averaged about 25-30 minutes per customer while trying to handle issues. They also split the line and took the middle of the line to a new gate, leaving those who got there early in a terrible wait and situation. Most people lost their flights and were refused a refund. Avianca was truly disrespectful to it's customers and I will be telling everyone I know to avoid taking them.

1  Thank August C
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is my first and last time flying Avianca.

Our initial flight going from Newark, NJ to Cusco, Peru had 2 layovers, and the flight out of our second layover got delayed twice in a row, making our arrival into Cusco almost 3 hours late (and lengthening our time spent in airports and on planes to almost 24 hours in total).

Our 6pm return flight from Cusco to Newark was, unsurprisingly, delayed for 30 minutes before being outright cancelled. There was no notification of this from Avianca staff, and thankfully we checked the electronic board by our gate, otherwise we'd be waiting for a flight that never came.

Upon returning to the check-in area, there was a long line of angry Avianca flyers, as another one of their flights had also been cancelled. There was no indication of what was going on, no announcement was made, and Avianca staff did nothing to calm the anxious crowd. When we finlly reached the front of the line (which took approximately 2 and a half hours due to Avianca's lack of staff), we were told the flight had been cancelled as of 2pm. We were never told this when we initially checked in at 345pm - even though they knew the status of the flight at that time. Luckily they set us up with another flight set to go out at 850pm (a 2 hour, 50 minute overall delay from our initial flight time) that we are able to get on, but all of this wasted time sitting in line with very anxious people could have been avoided with a simple loudspeaker announcement indicating our changed flight status. If we didn't take the initiative to leave the gate area and return to the check-in area, Avianca would have left us stranded. Not to mention their other customers who are still waiting in a long line, and who will likely miss this 850pm flight because Avianca does not have enough staff to keep the line moving at a sufficient pace.

I will never fly Avianca again, and I hope you consider this review before electing to fly Avianca.

1  Thank NANCY G
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

After a late take off from Miami we landed at Bogota for a connection to Cusco. There was no stand available so we parked in Cargo and after a lengthy bus ride, finally arrived at the Terminal. There was no assistance from Avianca and after running from one end of the terminal to the Gate, we were informed that the flight had left. After a seven hour wait in Bogota, the next flight - now to Lima - was just as bad. Late take off and I was bumped from my business class seat to economy - but only discovered this when boarding.
As I write this I am expecting a late arrival in Lima and so another missed connection. If you are considering flying with Avianca, DO NOT! It is the worst organized airline I have ever had the misfortune to fly!