“Over priced bagging $200”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 5 March 2021

Charged 200 for overweight bag. No other airlines charges even half of that. Will not fly with American Airlines again

Date of travel: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (71,755)

Reviewed 4 March 2021

This complaint is due to an upcoming flight I have from Miami, Florida to Sao Paulo, Brazil from 7:50 p.m. to arrive at 5:15 a.m. I booked this trip in January 2021 and since I wanted to place a dietary meal on the flight, I decided to call American Airlines within the 30 day period they allow for these additions. I called AA and the agent explained that this leg of my flight does not offer meal service. I was shocked because in September 2020, AA provided me with a special meal on the overnight flight, but now they don't. She explained that this was a policy that if you are flighting late evening, meals are not provided. I fly often ..to Europe, Africa, and South America and I am usually given a dinner service and some kind of breakfast service. However, on this 8 hour flight, AA will provide nothing... I was mouth agape!! I would recommend anyone flighing AA that you call the reservation clerk to make sure the international overnight flight has a meal service provided before you sit in your seat. Now, I'll need to grab food and snacks for this flight which is so unfair considering the amount I paid for the ticket. Covid or not, Airlines are getting cheap with their service and we, the passengers are the ones feeling the penny pinching policies.

Reviewed 4 March 2021

I checked in easily for this flight via the American Airlines app. I knew the flight would be full as every seat on the seat map was taken when I checked in, and American was offering to take bids for volunteers to be bumped at the gate or change flights free of charge. I decided to wait until the gate to see what they would offer.

Security was a breeze, though there was no Clear lane at this terminal at MIA, which was disappointing -- at least TSA Pre-Check was open and there was no line. I waited out my time before my flight at the American Express Centurion Lounge, which was nice and I enjoyed several drinks and a warm, hot buffet meal before my flight.

I proceeded to the gate extra early to inquire about whether they would need volunteers and what they would offer. I was told that they were offering $675 to take a later flight, but that it wasn't likely that they would actually need volunteers -- in fact, the gate agent seemed surprised by my inquiry. The gate agent told me that she would all me about 10 minutes before boarding and let me know either way, which was appreciated and meant that I wouldn't have to board last to find out if they'd in fact need me.

Sure enough, the gate agent called me as promised to tell me that she wouldn't need me, but that my upgrade to First Class had cleared. I felt as if I had won the lottery and was quite grateful.

Soon enough, First Class boarding was called and I boarded the aircraft to my aisle seat in the second row of First Class. There was no pre-departure beverage but headphones were handed out before departure for the in-flight entertainment.

I SO appreciated the personal televisions on this aircraft and the high speed wi-fi. American has just ripped these out of their 737 aircraft, which is a major disappointment and downgrade relative to their competition including Delta and JetBlue.

Once in the air, the service was pretty bare bones, but still better than Delta! I was offered a turkey and arugula sandwich, which came with a delicious chocolate chip cookie. I sincerely hope American brings back the pre-pandemic in-flight service to domestic First Class soon, including hot meals, a towel, and hot mixed nuts. Drinks were proactively offered, including doubles, though in plastic cups, not real glassware, which was disappointing and hardly premium.

Overall, this was a good flight, but there are certainly areas where American can improve if it truly wants to be the best US carrier.

Date of travel: February 2021
2  Thank Fzedlach
Reviewed 4 March 2021

I have small carry on smaller than require the toke it and she threw my bag so hard on the slide to the luggage i am lucky i don't have things it may get broke , but it's unacceptable how she threw it and disrespectful, that's very rude.

Reviewed 4 March 2021

I am writing this due to the fact that I was charged 4 times for my seat selections. After staying on hold for over an hour to get a refund, the woman on the phone was of NO help. She told us to go to the website to request the refund due to the fact that my bank statement only had 12 (out of 13) numbers for the confirmation number. When I informed her about the specific numbers I was given on my bank statement, her response was "You're going to have to call your bank". Now, If AA is unable to give me the confirmation numbers, why on EARTH would Chase have any idea's on the AA CONFIRMATION NUMBER.

Date of travel: February 2021
    • Check-in and boarding
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.