“Typical American Airlines Experience”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 9 December 2019

I always enjoy the in flight experience on American Airlines, but am almost always disappointed in the booking experience and gate service. Nearly every time I book with American, I seldom fly the flights I selected because American is constantly canceling and rebooking my reservations. I booked a non-stop flight from Baltimore to Phoenix, but before I flew, American canceled that flight and rebooked me on a connecting flight through Charlotte. While on my return flight, I received an email from American notifying me that an upcoming flight from Pennsylvania to Montana had been rebooked through Chicago. On this latest flight, twice the gate agents opened their stations and then walked away until boarding time - leaving no agent at the gate to work with passengers. Hence, once the agent returned, there was a long line of passengers needing service. Gate agents cannot provide good service if they are not present.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
2  Thank SwedeViking17

Reviewed 9 December 2019 via mobile

Let me start off by saying, we fly American Airlines every year from the DC area to mazatlan around thanksgiving. We have been going the past 6 years and have never had any issues, actually all great experiences...until this year. First, American canceled our connecting flight from Dallas to mazatlan without even notifying us! We only found out because I decided to log in to add our passport information and could not find the flight. The customer service lady told me the flight was cancelled because of the holiday, which is BS! Again, we have flown this same flight years in a row. After being transferred to multiple managers we finally found someone willing to help us and gave us a substantial voucher for future flights. However, we stilled arrived about 3 hours later in mazatlan than originally planned and had to transfer in LAX (disaster). Second, our connecting flight home was through Phoenix with a 9 hr layover and second flight leaving at 1am to go home. We planned for this and left the airport to explore Phoenix. We are in the middle of seeing a movie and had to leave because I got a notification that they had “delayed” that flight until 6am! Unbelievable! They blamed this on flight crew not showing up. We then had to get on a flight to Baltimore which is an hour from home and much further than if we had landed at Washington Reagan as originally planned. This time, American only decided to refund us the money we paid for the upgrade our seats on the original flight. Needless to say they have completely lost our business and I will now look elsewhere when booking flights! It is worth it to spend the extra money to fly another airline after the disaster we experienced on this trip.

1  Thank lucyhB5134JZ
Reviewed 9 December 2019 via mobile

I was scheduled to leave Cancun on Friday, December 7th. The flight was 815 leaving Cancún at 4 pm for a 4 hour flight to Philadelphia. I had set up to get alerts. The first one I received was a Flight Delayed alert. It was now scheduled to leave at 6pm. Another alert a short time later delaying departure till 8pm. Then another that is was now delayed until after 10 pm. At this point I called and then said could I change my flight without penalty. However it was the last American flight out that night. They offered me no suggestions so I scheduled for the next day. It cost me another $280 to stay at my resort for the night. Luckily they had a room. Even though I had changed the flight I still kept getting alerts. Now it was leaving at 11:50 pm but was only going to Miami, lol. It finally I believe left at 12:30 am. You know I would have spent the night in the Miami airport waiting for a morning flight. When I arrived home I called customer service and was lucky enough to get a gentleman who obviously hated his job and was very curt to say the least. When I asked why it kept getting delayed without them just cancelling he said he had no idea. When I asked what would have happened as far as getting lodging in Miami after arriving so late he said he had no idea. He acted like he was in a great hurry and I was being very rude in delaying him from hanging up. When I told him I had paid for a seat on the cancelled flight and then again foe a seat on the next day flight and inquired about how to apply for a refund he said” you’ll get it automatically, look for it” now seeming to be desperate to hang up. It was a very bad day dealing with all of the delays and then when I thought it couldn’t get any worse I had to deal with him

2  Thank joanmO8359CK
Reviewed 9 December 2019

The flight attendants were terrific, and the pilot was excellent and that makes it work for me. The gate attendants were not helpful and the attitude was uncomfortable. I would have given it a lower rating except for the kindness of the folks on the airlines. Not a good idea to ask for any changes or upgrades at the gate (even if you are willing to pay)_

Date of travel: November 2019
    • Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
2  Thank Norman S
Reviewed 9 December 2019

baggage claim takes FOREVER in DFW. They stink. Avoid at all costs. Rude employees. Nickel and dime you. They are terrible.

1  Thank juliecN2643IY
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.