“Good flight”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

This trip has become more enjoyable since Piedmont Airlines upgraded their fleet to the Embraer RJ145; although the DASH-8 was fun to fly in it’s nice to board through a jetway instead of having to go into the elements.

• Value for money
Write a ReviewReviews (48,650)

Reviewed 10 April 2018

This was the first time I've flown on the 787 Dreamliner and I loved it! This aircraft contains a lot composites making it stronger and lighter than aluminum. This makes the passenger experience a bit better than most other planes I have flown such as:

-Bigger windows. I'm a window person. I need my windows and instead of small windows that are quite low, the 787's windows are much taller than any other aircraft I have flown on. It made looking outside much more enjoyable.

-No window shades! That right, look for the button under the windows. This makes it easy to darken the windows to a level of your choosing. You can darken your window to a point which makes watching a movie easier but still allowing you to see out.

-Cabin pressure and humidity: Having a composite fuselage allows them to pressurize to a higher level and increase the relative humidity. A normal cabin is pressurized to a 8000 foot level while the 787 is 6000 feet. Relative humidity on most aircraft is around 4% from what I understand while the 787 is around 14%. Believe me, this makes a HUGE difference. I was very comfortable. I didn't get that dried out feeling I sometimes get and no headache! In fact, I just cannot sleep on an airliner but I managed to get a short cat nap on this aircraft! That's a first for me!

-The entertainment system was great. So many movies and TV shows to choose from including live TV. I did notice the live TV was a little glitchy and the content wasn't of interest to me but that is a very minor negative. The touch screens worked perfectly and I managed to watch 3 movies. HUGE amount of content!

-The food on board was tasty and adequate. They serve you I think 3 or 4 times, 2 meals and a snack or two. I don't quite remember. I brought some snacks on board but I really didn't need them.

-The crew was very friendly and helpful. Thumbs up!

-Since these aircraft are typically lighter than most other airliners, they can cruise at higher altitudes which makes for better fuel economy (good for the airline and your ticket cost) and a typically smoother ride (good for us). We cruised at 39,000 feet which is a bit higher than most aircraft. The ride was smooth.

-I really thought that the seat room would be horrible in Economy but I was wrong. I was quite comfortable. Plus, when you lean the seats back, the seat bottom moves forward making things fairly comfortable.

-We did not try the inflight WiFi. Unless you are addicted to online services or need your email, there really isn't a need to hook up to inflight WiFi. There was plenty of entertainment on-board.

-Rome airport craziness: I've read about how crazy Rome airport was but we really didn't have much of an issue. Yes there was a special security line for US passengers and they could have used a couple of more signs but there are information booths and the security line was reasonable. Our flight left at 11 am so we got there 2 1/2 to 3 hours early and that was plenty of time to return our car and get to the gate.

Anyway, thumbs up to American Airlines on the Rome to Chicago route.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

Ok, remember when you could go in and book your seat on line? They block everything out anymore. you have to BUY an isle seat, you have to buy a seat for extra money for any seat other than the middle or before the last 10 rows. This airline is really taking advantage of someone who just wants a mode of transportation. If the cost of the flight is not enough, you have to pay for a seat now on top of it. Thought the price of my ticket would let me pick my seat at least, come'on, have to pay for an isle seat now. Someone say greedy?

Reviewed 9 April 2018

This 9-hour long haul flight was full : nothing wrong with AA. But seats in coach class are really narrow with very little leg room. Little room space is acceptable for short haul flights but unacceptable for such a long flight: one can book an aisle seat but for an additional 89$ and an “exit” row seat for 139$!!: I found this outrageous. Otherwise, service and meals are in the average; multimedia is rather good.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

The staff, in addition to badly faced with a terrible service, the flight was delayed, the fly attendance very arrogant and rude, do not know how to say please, costly flights, without space between the seats, literally does not fit one in the seat, the exaggerated charge of overweight, if one goes through half a pound they do it or pay or take things out of the suitcases in the counter.
The only difference in going on third class on a bus or fly with American Airlines is that is cheaper on a bus; you get at the same time with all the delays.