“American Airlines does a good job getting you there”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 2 December 2017

We prefer to fly with American Airlines from Shreveport, because the transfer usually takes place at DFW in Dallas. The on-time arrival for American Airlines is pretty good, and the connection time at DFW is also pretty good. We have always had good experiences with American's personnel that we have interacted with. The planes are generally neat and clean, and the on-board food-for-purchase is pretty tasty. The Shreveport airport is fairly small compared and easy to navigate. Both DFW and Boston Logan airports are very large, and the seating areas at the gate are also neat and clean. DFW is easy to navigate between gates. Boston Logan is also easy to navigate, but our main complaint is how difficult we found it to get from the airport to our hotel, although this is not the fault of the airline. We have begun paying the extra fee to board the plane early, and to obtain additional legroom. We believe that the cost is well worth the benefit.

Date of travel: September 2017
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (52,423)

Reviewed 2 December 2017

I gave it 4 stars because the planes overhead cabins are so low that a 10 year old will hit his or her head getting in or out of their seat,

Reviewed 2 December 2017

It's been a while since I flew on a 737-800. And it has been even longer since I flew on American. I do not know what their advertised seat pitch is, but at 5'-7" and 135 lbs I felt like I had no leg room at all. My knees were just about hitting the seat in front of me. It's a good thing they have very small limits on the seat recline otherwise the guy in front of me would have been in my lap.

The flight was packed - a challenge for the flight attendants. I did not find them very attentive and not overly friendly either. They did their basic service and that was it. Snacks were very basic - I asked for a gluten free snack and was given pretzels.

I used the forward rest room early in the flight and found it pretty dirty - the plane was at our departure gate an hour before we boarded.

Overall - not the best flight. I felt like livestock. Bottom line - they got me home on time and in one piece and I am thankful for that.

Reviewed 2 December 2017

We had a terrible experience with American Airlines (AA). It started on the flight to South America. We chose business class because of the distance. AA cancelled our first flight from Toronto into Miami stating because of the aftermath of the hurricane they were not flying into Miami. It was interesting that the Miami to Buenos Aries flight was still scheduled but they would not take us to Miami to get that flight. We were never contacted! We found this out ourselves and worked with our travel agent on a three way call to AA. It took some time but they got us on a flight from Toronto to Houston (ironic location) and then to Buenos Aries. The first leg was not business class but Houston to Buenos Aries was business class. United business class was excellent. It took persistent follow up but the different route worked.
Then came the return home from Quito to Miami to Toronto. We got up at 3:00 AM to be at the airport in time for a 6:30 AM flight. The hotel lobby flight board indicated that the flight was delayed until 9:00 PM that evening - almost a 15 hour delay. We went to the airport during business hours to find the AA office. The facility was more of an area for flight attendants to hang out. We were permitted to enter and a couple of flight attendants tried to help us. The first thing we discovered was that the flight delayed until 9:00 PM had no chance of occurring. The plane had a serious engine problem. The parts and the mechanics were being flown in. The flight attendants continued to work on the computer and found us two economy seats on a flight at 11:30 PM - almost 17 hours late. We received a voucher for a day room and approximately $40 for meals. We used the room to shower and clean up and spent less than $40 on food. At 11:30 PM we got on the flight to Miami in economy and arrived in Miami several hours before the Miami to Toronto flight. Since business class permits one to use the business class lounge, we did so. The lounge in Miami is terrible. The furniture and carpets are very dirty. The coffee and bagels are included but anything else costs. The flight from Miami to Toronto was in Business Class and the service was really poor.
The end to this saga is AA provided a very small refund for the substitution of business class to economy. There are two flights in question - Toronto to Houston and and Quito to Miami. A couple of hundred dollars is far from the difference we paid for business class seats. The fair thing to do would be to compare the difference in cost between business class and economy on the day the seats were purchased. Then refund the difference between the two costs. AA had our money for an extended period of time and we should be compensated accordingly. AA is not a good airline with which to deal.

Date of travel: September 2017
Reviewed 2 December 2017

Good flights...no problems other than delay in Dallas. Flight previously cancelled worked out ok.Had some problembooking seats due to cancellation.