“Disappointing Service to Loyal Customers”
Review of Air New Zealand

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We are Koru members and frequent flyers, but its at times like these we wonder why.

Our flight from Honolulu was cancelled by AirNZ as they are taking planes out of service.

The original flight from Honolulu to AK was 8.5 hours, but instead we were put on a flight to LA on United (5.5hrs in the wrong direction), a 5 hour layover in LA then a flight time to Auckland of 13 hours, total time 23.5hrs!!!

We asked for a stopover in LA, it was refused, we asked for compensation, it was refused.

The united flight was packed and we couldn't even get seated together. Despite being Koru with and an extra luggage allowance united tried to charge us extra for luggage, we were then refused entry to the lounge at Honolulu "as our flight hadn't originated with AIRNZ"

We hadn't had breakfast at this stage and got on the united flight, and it turns out AirNZ hadn't bothered to order any food for us, and you can only buy food with the united app, but of course their 40yo plane didn't have any working wifi,

So no food for 5.5 hours, good one AirNZ!

We then arrived at the Star Alliance LA lounge where they initially wouldn't accept my Koru, as whoever changed my flights didn't put my frequent flyer or koru number on the booking.

Just an all-round disappointing and exhausting experience. Like many loyal AirNZ customers, we're becoming disenchanted with high prices and very average service.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

No wonder I stay loyal to Air New Zealand with being an Elite member , as they were absolutely fantastic today when I had to cancel our Business Class flights to Sydney due to major surgery that I suddenly have to have. They were compassionate and no hesitation to put our flights into credit . Top marks to them and to Sam who I spoke with today. Thank you Air N.Z !!!!

Date of travel: April 2024
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Our plane was half way to Auckland when a passenger became sick and they turned the plane back to land at Los Angeles. We were told to collect our bags that the flight was cancelled. There was a line several hundred people deep to get a hotel and learn their new flight arrangements. Extremely disorganized and no concern for customer service or exhaustion all started st 3:00 in the morning. The medical issues wasn’t their fault but the mismanagement of accommodations , transformative, communication and rebooking is entirely their fault. Would never fly with them again.

Reviewed 18 May 2024

My flight is NZ5655 on 18/5/24 at 11:50am.
I don’t usually write a review, but from the experience I had today I will make that an exception. Air New Zealand, you are such an utter embarrassment and disgrace towards the whole airline industry in New Zealand. Today I was supposed to fly to Queenstown for a nice weekend getaway, to meet my friends from Thailand who are traveling down south of New Zealand, but due to the weather it was canceled first in the morning and then again at around lunch time for the replacement flight. They aren’t going anywhere at all from the supposed date to travel. This is very understandable. For me personally I had a short time to travel due to having to come back to school. So I was going to ask for a refund plus compensation for my hotel bookings. When I was at the counter however, the first initial experience was absolutely terrible, the lady asked me “So what would you like to do?” without giving me any options whatsoever, in a rude way and bad attitude as well which was very surprising because I thought Air New Zealand was supposed to be one of the best airlines here in New Zealand and expected better customer service; very disappointing. I do understand that there were a lot of people that missed their flights and had to go to the counter before me, but it’s literally your job to take care of the customers. If you are tired of working there then you shouldn’t have gotten the job in the first place. After I told her my situation, she said that the airline doesn't offer a refund but flight credits instead which was already bad in itself, to add more to the injury they do not offer any compensation at all and said that it was because of the weather and that I didn’t buy travel insurance. As we all know New Zealand weather is very unpredictable and flight cancellation happens quite often, if you are going to make an excuse as an airline about zero compensation because of the weather, why bother even having domestic flights in the first place if it was going to be canceled most of the time? Like I said I understand that it’s normal to have flight cancellations because of the weather here, but zero compensation??? Come on, that's pathetic. Even airlines like JetStar offer compensation for the cancellation of flights due to weather issues. Air New Zealand you are an absolute disappointment.

• Customer service
1  Thank Roving02164824920
Reviewed 17 May 2024

My relative, a first-time flyer, was directed to sit and wait to board her plane, and was not aware of the "check in" process nor were they directed to check in. (This may be an obvious process for frequent flyers, but considering how much you pay for a ticket and that you have the ticket with you, I wouldn't fault someone for thinking that was enough to get on a plane with a seat-only ticket). They have been moved to a different flight 8 hours later and have been charged a fee to change their flight. They were turned away less than 10 minutes after the check in time passed. I am disgusted by the way the AirNZ staff handled this.

Date of travel: May 2024
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.