“great airline”
Review of Air New Zealand

Reviewed 1 April 2024

Read this if you want and honest review or need some help deciding if you want to fly ANZ

I've seen so many bad reviews for my home countries airline. especially from aussies but its not actually as bad as other people think when they fly or read the reviews. its the best airline in my opinion.

food: of the many reviews i've read the food is brought up a lot. I've read that most of the flyers find that the food is either "disgusting" or "appalling" is the food. I think that the food on air new zealand isn't actually bad but it could use some improvement. the bread and little things like the cakes are quite good. other things like the chicken and veggies may look good but overall they're just mid. one of the other things I noticed is that nobody's mentioned getting free candy. I don't know if it's just the flights i've been on or everybody but every flight i've been on with ANZ offers free hard candy made by the airline.

Seats: another one of the things that are brought up a lot is the comfortability of the seats. on all of the ANZ flights i've been on the seat comfortability is better than you'd expect if you've read a lot of the reviews like me. one of the reviews that stuck out to me was "the seats in premium economy were hard and had not much cushioning which is simply not true. on my way back from australia we upgraded to premium economy and the seats were soft and had a lot of cushioning in them, especially in the head rests. while we were in economy from wellington to Brisbane on our way there the seats cushioning made the seats comfy and the seats weren't hard but also not soft. there was also plenty of legroom

customer service: some reviews say that the customer service was bad and some say it was good/okay. over the 20ish flight's with them i've flown since I was 2 the customer service was amazing 16/20ish times. the few bad experiences come from the gate agents and once from a male flight attendant. I don't think he was trying to be rude but I was trying my best to tell him which drink I wanted (I was 10) and he couldn't hear me so he kept asking me to speak up. in the end he sked my dad who was sitting next to me to answer for me so he could finish his drinks service

Date of travel: May 2023

Reviewed 31 March 2024

The cabin crew on the flight were very good, but that is where it ends.

The food was appalling. In one dish, as soon as you opened the lid of the meal container you were put off by the look of it. After one taste we closed the lid and called the Flight Attendant. She too was taken aback by its appearance.
The second option was not much better.

To add to our disappointment, the entertainment system was malfunctioning in one seat, which, by coincidence, happened on our next ANZ flight.

Date of travel: March 2024
1  Thank J6773XS
Reviewed 30 March 2024

As a proud NZers we can no longer endorse Air NZ as a quality airline. Having traveled extensivley with Singapore airlines and Vietnam airlines they are leagues ahead in customer service and onboard offering. The flight attendant was rude and argued when asked for a second drink and the food was appaling and did not reflect a New Zealand flavour in anyway enticing a visitor to NZ let alone a citizen returning. We sat on the tarmac for 45 minutes with no air. The attendant said this was due to the engines not being on. Ok but Sigapore and Vietnam have air piped into the plane while waiting . Not good enough. Overall we suggest dont use AirNZ where possible.

Date of travel: March 2024
Reviewed 30 March 2024

Poor overall experience. The seats are hard with little padding (A320) with little width between them. If you don’t upgrade to the works food upgrade you are offered NOTHING to eat until every other works paying passenger has finished (last hour of the flight! Attendants are like robots with no warmth about them. Very second rate experience. Won’t be flying with them again on international flights.

Date of travel: December 2023
1  Thank Techno M
Reviewed 26 March 2024

If you fly with Air New Zealand airline, don’t upgrade to “The Works”, it is not worth it and a scam since everyone on board gets free entertainment and a meal on any International flight.

Now their customer and support service took more than 3 weeks to reply to my issue with a copy paste answer and did not provide any help nor the requested refund ($100) for the additional that was anyway already part of the flight ticket but offered us anyway as an upgrade making you think otherwise you won’t get it.

It is a terrible company to use and if you can avoid it, better for you. Charter airlines are more transparent about their services and cheaper.

Date of travel: February 2024
    • Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.