“Great flight”
Review of Air New Zealand

Reviewed 29 January 2024

Great flight. The captain kept us informed when there were delays. The food was enjoyable (I know, amazing). The seats weren't fabulous but they were fine for a 3.5 hour flight. Staff were good, entertainment was good, wifi worked well. All in all no complaints.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding

Reviewed 28 January 2024

Jackson made the trip an unforgettable experience. My wife and I were going to our honeymoon in New Zealand when we met Jackson. Now, how a human being can remain so polite and generous on a 14 hour flight is beyond me! He was genuinely interested in making our trip fun and enjoyed doing it. Before we left he dropped off a handwritten note from the crew. We will carry this in our travel box forever. Thank you Jackson for a wonderful experience!

Reviewed 27 January 2024

Was leaving Auckland to Sydney on NZ105 at 11.05am Jan 26th. Checked in and then delayed 1 hour. 5 min from boarding and delayed another 1 hour. 10 mins from boarding then cancelled. At this point a bit annoyed but s*** happens kinda attitude. For the next 3 hours the entire plane of people were sent around the airport like we were competing in the amazing race. Counter to counter, level to level. I won't go into details as this would become 2000 words long. But trust me when i say it was a nightmare and if someone told me that it was the staffs first day I would of believed them. They couldn't care less, no apologies and just a zero f***** attitude. Not one staff member took charge, they all kinda looked at each other dumbfounded. There's procedures for fires on planes, medical emergencies on planes but no procedure for a canceled flight. After pissing around at airport for 5 hours finally got to re book for next day same flight. Wake up and delayed 3 hours. Ring AirNZ and told it's cancelled even though it's delayed online. I was told, and I quote "I'm not 99.9% sure it's cancelled, I'm 100% sure it's cancelled". I said with all due respect I don't believe you, can you go and double check. He came back and said it's not cancelled....I cancelled and ended up flying with Qantas. That AirNZ flight was then delayed another 25 mins and then another 20mins. On flight AirNZ staff, amazing. AirNZ ground staff, horrific, incompetent and rude. If AirNZ read this please contact me.

Date of travel: January 2024
Reviewed 26 January 2024

I don’t normally rant online but from our experience with this Airline i am beyond disappointed.

After 8 years, my Family and I are finally spending our first Christmas and New Year back home in the Philippines together with my Infant.

But due to issues with my passport such as me needing to change my passport number on the booking due to marriage, I had to cancel our flight a week before our scheduled flight because Air New Zealand’s only option for me is to fly differently from my Family and that’s not what we want considering we are flying with an infant for the first time.

So, we cancelled and book to a different airline and had to pay double the air ticket price since it is 1 week before our planned date and it is Christmas time.

And since we cancelled our plane ticket we decided to get a refund. The lady who i’ve spoken to told me that i have to pay $600 total for 4 adults for the cancellation fee ($150 per person excluding infant) and refund will take 2 weeks max. So we agreed!

2 weeks had past but we did not receive a refund. I emailed them since calling is impossible. You had to wait for many hours just to talk to someone.

Luckily, they responded to my email saying that refund will take 6-8 weeks time. I told them that i won’t take it since i got told 2 weeks max for our refund to be process and they can check the call since it was recorded.

We exchanged email and asked them to please accelerate the process since they promised it will be 2 weeks.

We are not rich and we needed our money to fund us overseas.

Then they finally responded after 4 weeks saying to wait for another 10 working days for our refund.

And guess what? it is now over 3 weeks since their last email and we are now back to New Zealand not being able to make the most out our of long awaited holiday back home in the Philippines.

Thanks Air New Zealand for your very disappointing costumer service.

Still waiting for our refund to be refunded.

Reviewed 24 January 2024

My husband, 10 year old daughter and I flew from Perth to Denver, then Minneapolis to Perth in October last year. We booked online in April, we booked the Skycouch service and paid the extra $600 each way for it because I have physical issues that make travel extremely uncomfortable otherwise. Our booking was 'lost' several times in the system, apparently due to United (their partner airline) making changes to flights and after the third time this happened, I checked the online booking and our skycouches had disappeared. 8 hours on the phone later, the result was - they'd given away our skycouches as they left the system - no one advised us at all, if we hadn't checked we'd have got to the airport and been sorely disappointed - we were offered a refund as they couldn't get the seats back. The seats that we'd booked and paid for months earlier. So the compromise was a different route with the Skycouch. And admittedly, that service IS great, if you get it and if they don't give your seats away first. You have a decent amount of room (I'm 160cm tall and like, 60kgs, we had our small 10 year old and we booked an extra seat for my husband). Turning the seats into a bed worked well for us and it helped my back no end and if it wasn't for the customer service and mess ups, I'd consider using them again. But it would have to be a phenomenal price to tempt me to deal with the atrocious customer service, so probably not in all honesty.
So the trip over was relatively uneventful once our booking finally stayed put. But the trip home was another story.
Our itinerary AND the app, both clearly stated we had 2 bags per passenger, for a total of 6 bags, plus the carryon allowance. We turned up at Minneapolis airport and couldn't check in without assistance. We were then charged $340 for the 'extra' two bags. We had 5 bags total, despite the bag allowance being clearly stated in our printed itinerary, the email AND the app, the United staff member said "this happens all the time, you have to take it up with your airline, we only allow 1 bag per person".
So we paid it because we had to. Then our flight was cancelled, we were rerouted, instead of Minneapolis to Houston then Houston to Auckland with the Skycouch, we were sent, after 12 horrendous hours in the airport, to San Fransisco, where we boarded a United flight to Auckland, with of course, no Skycouch.
The United staff were pretty good and did upgrade us to their economy plus and it was okay. But they also changed the booking and in doing so, took our skycouch OFF the next leg, Auckland to Perth.
Once on the plane in Auckland, the staff on the Air NZ flight were actually lovely and we ended up with the skycouch we should've had, but I have to say, that leg is pretty much the only one that left a good feeling. And realistically, we got lucky because the flight wasn't completely full, if it was, our skycouch would have been not available. Even though we booked and paid for it. In April.
Once home in Perth we requested a refund for the skycouch from the US to NZ as we didn't have it, and it came pretty quickly. But the refund for the bags was a whole other story. I spoke to so many people over the course of 2 months - we were told to fill out a complaint and request a refund. We did. We were then told to fill out a specific form and request a refund. We did that. We were told yes, you can get a bag refund, it'll simply take another month. We waited about 6 weeks. We were then told sorry we can't refund you through this system but send an email to the customer care people and they'll take care of it for you. We did.
But then we got an email from a rude little man saying hey, well actually you only had a one bag allowance so it's a no from us. Case closed.
I replied that he was wrong and should see the original itinery - which they had received copies of way back when I first asked to be reimbursed. He ignored me completely. No response at all. I sent another email, and again, no response.
So basically, we're out of pocket $340 for a service we paid for initially, we didn't receive the service we paid for, we had to fight for so many hours on hold on the phone to get our original booking found, to get our seats re-allocated, to actually change our trip to accomodate their mess ups, and in the end it was a really sub-par experience that just left us drained and with a whole lot of frustration and disappointment.
Beware if you book the skycouch - it might end in disappointment, they will most likely lose your booking before you even fly and beware if you plan on using your full bag allowance, it will cost you extra at the airport, regardless of what they tell you before you give them your money.
Really unhappy with what should have been a premium service when the only premium thing about it was the price.

Date of travel: October 2023
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.