“Wanted to love it, they made it hard to..”
Review of Air New Zealand

Reviewed 24 January 2024

My husband, 10 year old daughter and I flew from Perth to Denver, then Minneapolis to Perth in October last year. We booked online in April, we booked the Skycouch service and paid the extra $600 each way for it because I have physical issues that make travel extremely uncomfortable otherwise. Our booking was 'lost' several times in the system, apparently due to United (their partner airline) making changes to flights and after the third time this happened, I checked the online booking and our skycouches had disappeared. 8 hours on the phone later, the result was - they'd given away our skycouches as they left the system - no one advised us at all, if we hadn't checked we'd have got to the airport and been sorely disappointed - we were offered a refund as they couldn't get the seats back. The seats that we'd booked and paid for months earlier. So the compromise was a different route with the Skycouch. And admittedly, that service IS great, if you get it and if they don't give your seats away first. You have a decent amount of room (I'm 160cm tall and like, 60kgs, we had our small 10 year old and we booked an extra seat for my husband). Turning the seats into a bed worked well for us and it helped my back no end and if it wasn't for the customer service and mess ups, I'd consider using them again. But it would have to be a phenomenal price to tempt me to deal with the atrocious customer service, so probably not in all honesty.
So the trip over was relatively uneventful once our booking finally stayed put. But the trip home was another story.
Our itinerary AND the app, both clearly stated we had 2 bags per passenger, for a total of 6 bags, plus the carryon allowance. We turned up at Minneapolis airport and couldn't check in without assistance. We were then charged $340 for the 'extra' two bags. We had 5 bags total, despite the bag allowance being clearly stated in our printed itinerary, the email AND the app, the United staff member said "this happens all the time, you have to take it up with your airline, we only allow 1 bag per person".
So we paid it because we had to. Then our flight was cancelled, we were rerouted, instead of Minneapolis to Houston then Houston to Auckland with the Skycouch, we were sent, after 12 horrendous hours in the airport, to San Fransisco, where we boarded a United flight to Auckland, with of course, no Skycouch.
The United staff were pretty good and did upgrade us to their economy plus and it was okay. But they also changed the booking and in doing so, took our skycouch OFF the next leg, Auckland to Perth.
Once on the plane in Auckland, the staff on the Air NZ flight were actually lovely and we ended up with the skycouch we should've had, but I have to say, that leg is pretty much the only one that left a good feeling. And realistically, we got lucky because the flight wasn't completely full, if it was, our skycouch would have been not available. Even though we booked and paid for it. In April.
Once home in Perth we requested a refund for the skycouch from the US to NZ as we didn't have it, and it came pretty quickly. But the refund for the bags was a whole other story. I spoke to so many people over the course of 2 months - we were told to fill out a complaint and request a refund. We did. We were then told to fill out a specific form and request a refund. We did that. We were told yes, you can get a bag refund, it'll simply take another month. We waited about 6 weeks. We were then told sorry we can't refund you through this system but send an email to the customer care people and they'll take care of it for you. We did.
But then we got an email from a rude little man saying hey, well actually you only had a one bag allowance so it's a no from us. Case closed.
I replied that he was wrong and should see the original itinery - which they had received copies of way back when I first asked to be reimbursed. He ignored me completely. No response at all. I sent another email, and again, no response.
So basically, we're out of pocket $340 for a service we paid for initially, we didn't receive the service we paid for, we had to fight for so many hours on hold on the phone to get our original booking found, to get our seats re-allocated, to actually change our trip to accomodate their mess ups, and in the end it was a really sub-par experience that just left us drained and with a whole lot of frustration and disappointment.
Beware if you book the skycouch - it might end in disappointment, they will most likely lose your booking before you even fly and beware if you plan on using your full bag allowance, it will cost you extra at the airport, regardless of what they tell you before you give them your money.
Really unhappy with what should have been a premium service when the only premium thing about it was the price.

Date of travel: October 2023
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding

Reviewed 24 January 2024

I was trying to scan my passport. It was not working after so many attempts I asked Lisa are you able to help me pls .she answered me just follow the instructions you will be able to do it .

Reviewed 23 January 2024

Special thank you to Annette Tan for making me feel welcome when I was traveling by myself today. She went above and beyond, great customer service from the whole crew :) overall, great flight experience and easy check in! They kept refreshments flowing and the food was good too! Thanks Annette & Air NZ

Reviewed 19 January 2024

Our two children used this service today for the 1st time and it was outstanding. Friendly, professional service at both ends, priority support through immigration and text message confirmations provided peace of mind for kids and parents alike. I would highly recommend this service to reassure kids flying alone and ours can't wait to fly Air NZ again.

Reviewed 16 January 2024

Flew Australia to LA stopping in Auckland. Arrived in LA with 2 kids to find luggage "never made it onto the flight" apologetic at the time but was a complete nightmare after that. Took 5 days to get the luggage, which when it arrived to us it was minus a wheel with a hole in it "sorry, take it up with Fed Ex" Gave us a $150USD eftpos card to use since we were on other flights in NY in 3 degree weather with no shoes since they lost the luggage. Card wasnt even activated!! "we can activate the card, but sign this waiver to say we werent at fault" After filing complaint, told to send receipts and provide details of the suitcase... now no replies. A complete headache. Flew business class and were treated like rubbish from the admin teams via email.

Date of travel: December 2023
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.