“Surprisingly good experience despite events”
Review of Air New Zealand

Reviewed 3 October 2020

When Emirates cancelled our return flights home from New Zealand to the UK in March 2020 due to Covid-19 we had great difficulty obtaining replacements. Emirates were no help whatsoever (to this day they have not provided a refund, an apology or any other contact).

We eventually applied for and received ESTA visas to enable return via Los Angeles and booked Fully Flexible tickets with Air New Zealand direct. The ANZ member of staff was helpful and confirmed that in the event of a change of plan we would receive a full refund (there had been mention of possible repatriation flights being chartered by the UK Government).

A few days later, in keeping with what was going on at the time, their airline partners, British Airways, cancelled our London to Glasgow leg of the trip which would have left us stranded in London Heathrow terminal overnight! When I called Air New Zealand to cancel they agreed the refund. The call handler was very pleasant and although he indicated it may take a few weeks to process, in practice it took just a couple of days. We thought that this was exceptional service in comparison to what we were hearing was happening with other airlines.

Our ultimate route back was via Doha with Qatar Airlines and required a domestic flight with Air New Zealand from Christchurch to Auckland.

Christchurch Airport was quiet and the ANZ staff we dealt with were friendly and efficient in checking us in under different arrangements. The ANZ flight was socially distanced from the point of view that there were three seats for two passengers (in theory a gap in between). In practice this arrangement didn't provide much "distance" as the plane was busy and we had people immediately in front and behind us. Nonetheless the flight was short and on time so no issues.

With many tales of woe relating to the airline industry at that time it was a pleasant surprise to experience very good service, in particular relating to the cancelled flight.

Date of travel: April 2020
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Legroom
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
2  Thank Rantinrover
Write a reviewReviews (13,478)

Reviewed 2 October 2020

Worst air company experience that I had, I will never use this company. I bought two tickets for return flights from Buenos Aires to New Zealand in February. One month later the Air NZ announced that they will not longer be operating these flights and will refund the tickets. I spoke several times with the air company I still no received money, it has been more than half year. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!

Date of travel: March 2020
3  Thank EKAYBHRefund
Reviewed 28 September 2020 via mobile

Thank you so much Air New Zealand team.
Our flight to Queenstown was cancelled due to bad weather and it was highly likely that the next one we were moved to would also be cancelled. We explored our options and asked to be moved to a Christchurch flight. Juggling the car rental company and flight options meant we booked in seconds within the check in closing. The lady arranging the changes for us was incredibly helpful and even managed to get us seats together.
Very accommodating to try and help you find your way. Airport adventures, let me tell you....

• Customer service
Reviewed 21 September 2020

Air New Zealand is a joke
In July they put flight for Tahiti in September for cancel them 2 weeks after and after they tell you the next flights will be in end of October so they put flights for October and November and then they cancel again and now it's January
Air New zealand is just taking the money they put flight they are not sure they can confirm just for take money of the people what a joke
Shame...

2  Thank Leliapoh
Reviewed 18 September 2020

The airlines is the antithesis of Kiwi hospitality. I will never to be going anywhere near you. It was worse service than I have received from the likes of Ryanair and Easy Jet - which is saying something.

I was due to have a connecting flight to Sydney ahead of flying with Etihad flight to London. It was booked on August 8th. One week later I got an email telling me the time ONLY had changed an hour later, which was fine as I had a long layover. A week later they sent a "confirming changes from previous email" email.

Two days prior to flying out I realised they had discreetly changed the flight by THREE weeks in the second changes email. I called them in a panic hoping it was a typo. The customer service on the phone was so dreadful; a robot like woman from whom I received no apology for them randomly changing the flight by three weeks, and no apology for their emails being incorrect. I was held on the phone while they were trying to palm me off to another team.

I had to get to London, and the only solution was to use the credit for the moved flight to another flying from Auckland by Singapore Airlines on behalf of Air NZ. The short story is i had to pay about £800 on top, as well as £125 for extra baggage at the airport because the woman on the phone gave me the wrong information. I missed by Etihad flight from Sydney, and just have to close my eyes to it as it drives me nuts every time I think about it.

I received no reimbursement at all. I truly despise this airline and their service.

3  Thank Jemima H
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.