“Bad experience”
Review of Air France

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I bought 2 tickets for the 24th of of May.
On May 23, I received an email and a text message informing me that Air France cannot accommodate me, and my reservation was changed to May 27 for no reason. I have been using AF for many years. This kind of service is terrible, especially when I can use other airlines. The food was also not so good.
I will think twice before considering Air France in the future.

Date of travel: May 2024

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My flight was delayed for more than 6 hours at the Paris airport. A couple days later I contacted the Air France customer service to claim financial compensation for the delay, which the company is legally meant to provide according to European flight customer regulations.
Almost 4 months later I haven't received any compensation, and the company stopped following up with me. I called customer service many times and I was always told they would get back in touch with me on the phone and via email, but they never did. I was the one having to do all the follow-up with no positive outcome.
It seems to me that the company is trying to "save" money on those delay compensations.

Date of travel: March 2024
1  Thank Camille J
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our recent flight with Air France was the worst experience we've had in over 30 years of travel with various airlines. We selected Air France specifically for a layover in CDG—where we had prior arrangements—on our return journey from Istanbul to Los Angeles. However, less than 12 hours before departure, Air France abruptly cancelled our flight without offering any explanation. Despite our attempts to get clarity from their customer service over the phone, we were directed to go to the airport—an hour away—to find out more details. This unexpected situation left us scrambling to make new travel arrangements in Istanbul and completely disrupted our plans back home in the US.

About half an hour later, Air France informed us via email that our flight had been rebooked with LOT Airlines via Warsaw, Poland, resulting in an arrival time 4 hours later than our original schedule. Additionally, our flight from Warsaw to Los Angeles experienced an additional 3-hour delay, bringing the total delay to 7 hours.

When we sought compensation under EU 261 regulations, Air France shockingly denied responsibility, claiming our flights were outside the EU. This was perplexing because our original itinerary involved travel to and from CDG, France (within the EU), and we were rerouted through Warsaw, Poland (also within the EU), where we endured a 10-hour layover with significant delays. This ordeal resulted in our arrival time in the US being pushed from 4:05 PM to 11:05 PM, causing immense emotional stress and financial losses due to last-minute constant changes, disruption to work and plans, and navigating foreign countries with limited resources.

We strongly advise against choosing Air France if you value peace of mind. Their actions appeared profit-driven, potentially cancelling our flight due to low passenger numbers and transferring us to LOT Airlines without providing compensation or taking responsibility, based on our profiles. We are crossing Air France off our list forever, and will choose more reliable and ethical airlines for future travel.

Date of travel: June 2024
1  Thank Vanessa T
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Worst airline I’ve ever used. Air hostess was rude on one of the flights. One my return, Air France lost my luggage that had expensive personal items, rental gear and necessities including medicine. Air France has poor customer service and has not given me any updates. The seats are way smaller & uncomfortable than typical international airlines, the food & service sucks. It is not clean and some of their air hostesses are unprofessional & rude. It’s been over a week now and I have still not received my luggage. I am very upset. I travel very often and this has never happened to me with other airlines.

Something to note, when I booked I booked via KLM and it’s website, it was certainly false advertising since it said KLM (which I have no problem with) but as soon as I paid, my tickets came as Air France. I dislike false and pretense advertising disguised as something else. If you merge, let people decipher on their own by the rotten reviews Air France has. This was the worst travel experience I’ve ever had. I have lost my best items and luggage, I’ve missed necessary deadlines and items. I would not recommend Air France to my worst enemy.

I have global entry so I zoomed through customs & was the first to get to buggage claim. But I waited until the end & nothing!!
They sent me auto message saying “delayed buggage” & they actually LOST the buggage & I haven’t heard anything now for over a week

Date of travel: June 2024
1  Thank dianamY8479NP
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

If I could give this business minus 10 stars, I would. Never but never in all my decades of travel have I had a worse experience, and never but never would I ever fly this airline again, even if it meant I had to travel by train across the US and then boat to Europe. ANYTHING would be preferable that experiencing what I experienced with them.

I was moving to Europe with my 3 precious cats, and had purchased tickets for them to fly with me in the cabin. 4 friends accompanied us to help with the move. My travel agent booked us a flight that had a connection in Paris, and when I saw the amount of time at the airport in Paris was only one hour, I was concerned. I checked with my agent and also I phoned Air France several times, to confirm that one hour would be sufficient, and they all assured me that that it would be.

The flight itself was extremely stressful. I had brought with me a portable litter box, so that I could take my 3 cats one by one to the bathroom so they could relieve themselves and not have to go in their carriers. However, when I got up to take the first one (in its carrier) to the bathroom, a flight attendant stopped me and insisted they had to all stay under the seats in their carriers the entire duration of the flight. This was absurd. They were safely in their carriers, and me letting them out in the bathrooms would have caused no harm to anyone!!!! Instead, I was forced to suffer right along with them for the duration of that long flight. It was awful! And of course by the time we arrived, the carriers had been filled with pee and poop, and the smell was way worse than what would have happened had I been allowed to take them to the bathroom. A far worse situation for all of us and for the people around us!!!

Once we went through security and arrived at the gate for our connecting flight in Paris, we were so relieved to see that the plane was still there. But then, shockingly, the woman at the gate told me they had "just this moment closed it." However, one of our party was a flight attendant, and she knew the rules as to when the plane doors could be closed, and we were still within the time frame by a few minutes. However, the attendant at the gate apologized and said she had been specifically instructed not to let anyone on the plane who was from the LAX flight, which was totally insane. We begged and pleaded, as we stood there, a party of 5 people with 3 cats who had already endured the long flight from LA and the stress of having to go through security although we were only transitioning. That plane stood there too, at least another 10 minutes, with our empty seats. The entire situation was insane: the airline had very deliberately slammed the door in our faces.

When, in tears, with my 3 poor cats, we went to the desk to inquire about next flights, we were told the next direct flight to Split was 4 days away. That made the refusal to admit us to this flight all the more insane, of course. We then were forced to change terminals yet again, go through security yet again (also more suffering for my cats, who are 14 years old and had already gone through security twice, once in LA and once in Paris). Once we arrived at the desk for Croatia Airlines, I was forced to pay again for my cats and for the extra luggage, although that had all been paid in LA already. We then had to suffer through the subsequent 2 flights, before finally arriving in Split at 11 pm, 20 hours after we had left LA. We had originally chartered a water taxi to take us to the island of Hvar, our ultimate destination, but of course by midnight, it had long been canceled.

Not only all that, but when we arrived, 2 pieces of our luggage did not arrive with us. By the time we finished filling out the forms to report the missing luggage, it was midnight and they locked the airport doors behind us as we left, the last ones to leave the airport. We then had to find a pet-friendly hotel nearby and take taxis to that hotel, incurring additional expenses we never would have had, had we been allowed on that plane in Paris which sat there on the tarmac for 10 minutes as we begged and cried to be let on.

When I reported this horrible situation to Air France and demanded reimbursement for the over $1000 I had been forced to pay (again!!) for my cats and luggage, plus for the hotel we were forced to stay at, I received this response:

"Thank you for your email dated 3 May 2024 regarding your recent experience while travelling with us.

I appreciate that you shared your disappointment with us. Our records shows that the flight change was caused by a booking error on your original flight. As a result, we kindly ask you to contact your travel agency to request for possible reimbursement of your incurred expenses.

I trust I have informed you sufficiently.

Best regards,
Maria Van Rami"

Totally unacceptable!!! This was their fault 100%, alllll of it. #neveragainaf

Date of travel: May 2024
3  Thank sandra s
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.