“A seat choice is no guarantee.”
Review of Air France

Reviewed 3 May 2024

So, I was separated from my wife and made to sit 2 rows from her on this flight. Three months before, we were together but somehow, AF decided to separate us today. The reason - my seat next her was blocked for some technical problem. We boarded, sat down, and voila, some Frenchman takes the blocked seat. Apparently, he was upgraded or was using points, so they elected for him to use the seat. Apparently the audio was not working on that seat. I asked them if they thought that was "good business practices" and of course, the flight manager, did not have a clue of what I was referring so. Their customer rep , Mr. Concon said this after I flied a complaint "A seat reservation does give a certain assurance, but unfortunately never implies a full guarantee for a specific seat. Even though we try to honour a preference, a re-assignment of seats can occur in the case of an aircraft change, group booking or due to safety measures." I'll pass on Air France in future.

Reviewed 2 May 2024

Unique situation: a 3.5-year international assignment to France with monthly flights to the US. Selecting and sticking with an airline is a challenge. Here's why I started with Air France & Delta and switched to United for my 20+ international flights and 30+ flights inside the EU:
1. Use Air France and Transavia side EU for holidays and business: not recommended, expensive, tired old planes that you get bussed to and climb a staircase to board
2. Enjoy better service and French food: sub-par, tons of attitude, language and culture barrier, and Unided staff will go above and beyond if you are nice to them.
2. Get to premier class fast and enjoy the perks: it takes WAY longer, and very unfriendly policies like
- locking the seat map 48-24hrs before check-in
- making passengers pay for things that come standard with United
- wiping out seat selection when changing aircraft
- lounge access and flight availability are generally better with United

Loyalty is a two-way street, passengers are still just a number to airlines, but if you will travel frequently, make sure you give your $$$ to someone who cares a bit more.

Date of travel: March 2024
1  Thank 677sergeyz
Reviewed 30 April 2024

Air France is seriously pushing me to jetison my loyalty to their Flyinig Blue program with increasingly mediocre service, like that which I experienced between Dubai and Paris on AF655. The Sky Team lounge in Dubai is frankly disgusting--shabby, poorly located, and with really terrible food and cheap wines, low-grade alchol, etc. If Air France wants to compete against Emirates it sseriously needs to up its game.
Aboard flight 655, the stewardesses did not greet passengers or hang their coats on boarding. The 'snack' served in lieu of dinner was frankly disgusting--a proper meal should have been an option in business class, and no further beverage service was offered after the meal was served. Breakfast was rushed, becuase the stewardesses waited too late to serve, and the one serving me had to be asked for bread and pastries and never bothered offering jam. These are details, but when you pay extra for business class you expect a much better level of service and amenities.
Finally, Charles de Gaulle terminal 2E is one of the most disorganised and poorly designed air terminals in the world! Plus staff is aggressively rude. Next time I will fly Turkish Airlines or Emirates, both of which offer much much better business class than Air France, a company that has been ruined by obvious cost cutting everywhere.

2  Thank InveterateExplorer
Reviewed 29 April 2024

I have paid for premium economy round trip. However, on the return date 04/29/2024 they change my seat to economy like they don’t have enough places for premium. I didn’t have a choice to seat on economy but that was nightmare. If your premium economy seat is full that’s not the customer problem Airfrance should find a way to make sure I’m on the seat I have paid for . With that horrible experience I don’t think so I will be flying with them again

1  Thank Ebongue s
Reviewed 29 April 2024

A Disappointing Journey

As an Iranian traveler, I recently had an unfortunate experience with Air France that left me feeling stressed, frustrated, and disheartened. Let me share my story in the hope that it serves as a cautionary tale for fellow passengers.

Booking Process and Lack of Transparency

When I booked my flight from Mumbai to São Paulo via Paris and operated by eight France itself , I trusted Air France to provide a seamless journey. However, upon arriving at Mumbai airport, I was blindsided by the revelation that I couldn't proceed to São Paulo through Paris due to a transit visa requirement. The shock and confusion were overwhelming. Here's where Air France fell short:

1. Misleading Information: Nowhere during the ticket booking process did Air France mention the need for a transit visa. As a result, I found myself stranded at the airport, unable to continue my journey.

2. Stress and Racism:
The lack of clear communication caused immense stress. Moreover, I felt discriminated against, as if my nationality played a role in their decision. No passenger should endure such treatment.

Denied Boarding and Financial Loss

1. Denied Boarding: Air France left me with no choice but to cancel my ticket. Imagine the frustration of being at the airport, ready to fly, only to be turned away due to an oversight by the airline.

2. Inadequate Refund:
To add insult to injury, the refund process was a nightmare. Out of the ₹ 75360 I paid, I received a paltry ₹ 4369 back. This discrepancy is entirely unjust and unacceptable.

Passenger Rights and EU 261

1. EU 261:
As an EU-based airline, Air France is subject to EU 261 regulations. These rules protect passengers' rights in cases of flight disruptions, including denied boarding due to visa issues.

2. Compensation:
I urge Air France to honor its obligations under EU 261. Compensation should not be a mere formality; it's a matter of fairness and respect for passengers.

What Air France Can Do

1. Transparency: Air France must improve transparency during the booking process. Clearly communicate visa requirements to passengers, ensuring they make informed decisions.

2. Fair Compensation:
Refund policies should be fair and consistent. Passengers deserve more than a fraction of their hard-earned money back.

Conclusion

My experience with Air France was disheartening. I implore the airline to rectify its practices, treat passengers equitably, and uphold the standards expected of a reputable carrier.

Flight Details:
Route: Mumbai to São Paulo via Paris
Booking Date: 4th April 2024
Ticket Number: 0572316385356

3  Thank mehrdad b
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.