Marlon Jones wrote a review Mar 2022
Fairburn, Georgia10 contributions2 helpful votes
My wife and I sailed on March 7-11th of 2022. It was our first cruise ever, and I wanted to give those who have never cruised a heads up of some unforeseen issues we ran into during and after our cruise. All things considered, the cruise experience was really good, and we would do it again. Overall, I'll give the experience a 7 out of 10.
(THE ROOM) We initially reserved a interior room, but was offered the opportunity to bid on an upgraded accommodation a week prior to sailing. We took advantage of this and landed a "Panoramic view suite" on the 12th deck, which had plenty of room and an amazing view. Everything was perfect about the room except for when we were sailing and facing strong winds. The turbulence vibrated the glass/framing a-lot, which was extremely noisy and woke us up several times. Also, the doors of the bathroom/closets would chatter loudly when we were docking or undocking. It was only momentarily, but something to take note of. Again this is our first cruise and maybe all rooms are like this.
(DINNER) On our first day, we ate lunch at Sorrento's. The pizza was pretty good. For dinner on our first night, we we ate at Chop's. I have been to Chop's in Atlanta, GA a few times, and they are always on point! The appetizers were good, my wife's dinner was good as well, but my steak fell way short of what I have experienced at the land restaurant. I requested for my steak to be cooked "Medium Blackened," and when I received it, it was burnt on one side and barely cooked on the other with no seasoning. There is a slight communication barrier with the ship staff, and I attributed it to this. Chop's on land would have someone's head for the steak I was served. We were celebrating a late anniversary, and they brought us out a piece of cake and sang "Happy Anniversary" to us, which was a nice touch. We ate at the main dining room for the remaining nights and for breakfast. The dishes and selection served there were all really good. Just remember you can have more than one dish/appetizer/desert. We missed our "My Time Dining" on our 3rd night after coming back from a show. Just know that if you miss your assigned dining time, you will have to dine later and possibly on a different deck. We were given the run around several times by the Host's on Decks 3 and 5 and by Guest Services before we were seated. It literally took over an hour to get seated at a table. We also took advantage of Johnny Rockets for lunch, which was good, and Ben & Jerry's which was good.
I ordered room service on the 2nd night of our trip around 11pm (wings and fries) and was told it would be 45mins. I called back after an hour and a half to cancel because it was taking to long, and was informed that they did not have an order for my room at all. I tried this again on our 3rd night and received my food in 40 minutes. I was totally disgusted at what they brought me. The smallest wings I had ever seen in my entire life, and I refuse to believe it was even chicken. I refused to eat them and contacted guest services to let them know I did not want to be charged for them and was not going to eat them and guest services informed me that I wasn't charged for the food, I was charged for the room service itself (for them bringing the food). I told them if I knew that what was what I was getting, I never would've ordered it. I did not get my money back nor did I receive an apology for being inconvenienced.
(CHARGES) Please please please be aware that any charges you make from purchase on the cruise AND your daily tip's will be deducted from your method of payment DAILY! We were given the impression from the documentation we had received from Royal that all accounts would be settled by 11pm the night before the end of the cruise. Our intention was to pay cash or use a credit card to settle the account, but instead our debit card was hit. We did not realize this until the 3rd day of our cruise once we were in the Bahamas and had a phone signal so we could check our accounts. We immediately went to guest services once we returned on the ship and had the future charges placed on a credit card instead of our debit card. The individual at guest services looked at our account and said "yes, we charge your account daily and it shows here you still owe $44. I asked where could I find documentation showing that charges would be deducted daily and he could not tell me. I was offered no apology or restitution or anything. FYI, Just know that Royal places a $100 hold on whatever card you let them use, and tip charges and any other purchases are deducted daily.
(MASSAGE) I must admit, the couples massages are more than what you pay on land, but it was absolutely the best massage we have ever had in our entire life! It was truly amazing, and before the charge incident happened, I was going to have another.
(SHOWS) The shows were good as well. Something different but I truly enjoyed each venue. We saw 2 comedy shows, a show on Ice, a musical, and an illusionist. There are plenty of things on the itinerary throughout the day to keep you pretty occupied and entertained.
(CASINO) I only play Black Jack, and the payouts are pretty good. They have a nice selection of table limits from $15 on up. I enjoyed that. $$
We really enjoyed spending time on the helipad during the evening, watching the sunset, and at night looking at the moon over the water and looking at the stars. It was truly romantic. Even sitting in the lounge chairs at night by the rails listening to the sound of the waves crashing as the boat sailed. Just know that if you book your cruise in March, it is the same time as College Spring Break. And yes, they were everywhere. About 70% of the people on the ship excluding the staff were college age kids (I'm 45). We did not get in the pool or hot tub because there was never any room! Lol. And the bars stayed packed with the party goers.
(Perfect Day at Coco Cay) I enjoyed everything about Coco Cay. The beach layout is great, the food selection is great (they even have funnel cakes). I wanted to rent a jet ski, but apparently you have to plan this excursion days in advance as they sell out quickly. The price for this excursion is very reasonable.
I am including pictures in this as well. Also keep in mind that their is a slight language barrier with the staff. Almost everyone is English speaking, but not very well.
All in all it was a great cruise that I would do again. I would have like an apology and some empathy about the account issue which created overdrafts and the room service issue. Those were personnel and communication issues. I encourage anyone who has never cruised to visit the FYI page and search related questions to find answers prior to sailing.
Sail Date: March 2022
Pools & Sundecks
Onboard Activities
Entertainment
1 Helpful vote
Scroll below for other great reviews

Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas

Interior (2V)
  Interior (6V)
  Interior (1V)
  Interior Accessible (3V)
  Ultra Spacious Ocean View (1K)
  Ocean View (8N)
  Ocean View (1N)

Amenities
Studio B
Arcadia Theatre
Conference Center

Cabins

Balcony
Cabin size: 188 - 214 sq. ft.
Connected rooms: 173

• Filter
  • English
Terry F wrote a review 8 Aug
New York321 contributions163 helpful votes
My wife and I recently spent a great 4 nights on the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas. We sailed out of Miami with stops at their Private Island and Nassau. 4300 souls were on the cruise. EMBARKATION; Royal Caribbean is at Pier A in Miami. We couldn’t find this anywhere in our Cruise papers and the uber driver didn’t know where it was either. Something for future cruisers - Pier A. Getting on to the ship was real easy as I had reserved a suite and Royal has a separate entrance for that. Luggage, covid test results, vaccine cards, passports, sail-passes were all checked and we were on the ship within 10 minutes. ROOM; The suite was fine although I thought it was a little smaller than the last time I had a suite. Two sliding glass doors led out to a large balcony (photo) with two loungers. It was on the 10th floor. The room sleeps four with a couch that opens up to a queen size bed. The steward did a fine job and everything that I asked for, whether it was ice or the daily schedule was delivered. The stewards work from 8:00AM - Noon and then again from 4:00PM to 8:00PM. The A/C was just cool enough and the bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. The room had plenty of storage room for everything that you might bring. FOOD; We decided to eat in the Main Dining Room for dinner each night and the food was surprisingly exceptional. We had a table right at a window and the service from the waitress and the asst. waiter was impeccable. They both had a great sense of humor. The menu has some of the same items every night with several changes on the menu as well. We had prime-rib, chicken cordon bleu, shrimp, spaghetti bolognese, shrimp cocktail, key lime pie, ice cream, cheesecake, caesar salad, etc. You can order twice if you want and they will bring it to you. The dining room was three floors. We also had breakfast one morning in the main dining room. One thing we found out, as you’re always getting lost, is that all the food was on one end of the ship and all the entertainment was on the other end. The Windjammer is the buffet, which is on the 11th floor, next to the pool. The buffet had the usual choices and I only had two meals there, both were lunch and both were good. The Windjammer was the only food available on the first afternoon. The ship had a taco stand outside, next to the pool, and it had a huge line all day long. It is set up like a buffet, as you make your way down the line and just take whatever you want for your taco. They also had burritos which were already made and wrapped up. People in the suites are allowed to go to the Crown & Anchor Lounge, which is on the 14th floor. They have continental breakfast in the morning and hors d’oeuvres from 5:00 - 7:00 each night. They had three different hot items each night (fried shrimp, chicken skewers, beef skewers, mozzarella sticks, polenta, quiche, pigs in a blanket, etc.) and everything was good and you can have as much as you want. They also had vegetable sticks, fruit sticks, rolls, chocolate covered strawberries, etc. All drinks are free in there. I like this place best as part of paying for a suite. People who pay for the suites are also allowed to eat breakfast in one of the Specialty Restaurants, Chops. It is a full breakfast with waiters and asst. waiters. This is usually a Steakhouse and there is a charge for dinner here. There is also an Italian Restaurant and a Japanese Hibachi Restaurant for a charge as well. There is a Johnny Rockets on the 12th floor and there is a charge for whatever you order. Also there is a Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream place on the 5th floor and you have to pay for that as well. There was a pizza restaurant (Sorrento’s) on the 5th floor and there were crowds in there all day because this place was free. Ice cream was free in a cone by the pool. ENTERTAINMENT; We saw one nighttime show which featured the singers and dancers. They were actually very good. The show ran about 45 minutes. There was a show another night which had a juggler, but we didn’t go, nor did we go to the other shows in the theater. We did go to an ice skating show, which they had every night on the 3rd floor. This show was mostly figure skating to music and surprisingly we enjoyed it a lot. They were doing real olympic type jumps like triple sowcows and triple lutz, with spins and jumps. Very entertaining. There was the usual ‘Sexiest Man’ contest by the pool and the ‘Belly Flop’ contests in the pool which was pretty good. They showed replays of the flops backwards and forwards on the big screen. It was mc’d my the Cruise Director Chris who was very good at his job. He kept the energy going, no matter where the show was and he was funny also. There was an energetic vibe throughout the ship with music playing and games going on. However, if you wanted to find a nice quiet place, you could find one. There were shows in piano bars and lounges all over the ship. All the kids on the ship seemed to be having a ball, with the club and the water slide. There was also a Flowrider surfing thing going on at the 12th floor. Pretty cool. On the 5th floor, was the Promenade Deck which had food and shops through a long hallway. Above that, there were windows from the rooms on the 6th, 7th and 8th floors which rooms overlooked the walkway. CASINO; The casino was much like a casino on any other ship. They did have a poker game every night, which was up my alley. Very friendly dealers. There were many, many kids on the ship so the casino wasn’t as crowded as on some other ships. PRIVATE ISLAND - The cruise stopped at a Private Island called Coco Cay. Huge area with both Ocean water and Lagoon. Plenty of loungers no matter what area you wanted to sit. They also had a huge pool with a bar and this place was rocking' the entire day with music and fun things going on. The BBQ food was great on the island with plenty of places to sit and eat. DISEBARKATION; For some reason, we were delayed for 40 minutes during the exit from the ship. Long lines of passengers with their luggage and cary-ons just standing in a line for 40 minutes. They never let us know what the problem was but evidently it was something in the terminal.
Byron wrote a review 1 Aug
Detroit, Michigan247 contributions12 helpful votes
My wife and I did the July 22nd 3 day cruise to the private island and Nassau. Freedom of the seas is a really nice ship. More of an elegant upscale 5 star hotel feel than carnival or Norwegian ships. Room service was nice and timely. We found the options at Windjamers to be better than the main dining room. Both of our NY strip steaks in the main dining room weren't cook as we ordered. They quickly got us new steaks as we ordered. The seating can be tight with little privacy depending on your location. Ee found the App to be great!! It makes things easier checking in and competing the process. I highly recommend using it. It makes checking in so easy. You go right through. We purchased the photo package and we found this to be a waste of money. The ppl that take the photos arent aroynd too many areas of the ship so we only had 4 or 5 photos taken. The Key package was we purchased was worth it. The vip lunch when we boarded was nice. Getting the bags taken the night b4 debarkation was nice.My only complaint is with the small fridges in the staterooms. We had an Oceanview room and the fridge is not cold at all. We called maintenance and they came right away. The maintenance guy said the fridge is just meant for STORAGE of drinks NOT to keep your drinks cold. I think that's crazy!! Royal should either remove these or just put in REAL fridges. I would also suggest having luggage carts in the parking structure when you arrive to help get your luggage to baggage check in. The long lines Getting an elevator to get back to your car to leave should be addressed in some way. The baggage porters are great helping you take your bags to your car. Just wish their was the same help when you arrive. Overall I recommend Royal.
Ijec40 wrote a review Jul 2022
San Juan, Puerto Rico17 contributions24 helpful votes
We took a few days to vacation in July to celebrate or 10 yr anniversary and birthdays, and go on a cruise to the Bahamas. Royal Caribbean offered a really good package for the Bahamas. The trip was 4/3 nights on the 4th of July. We went into Coco Cay, Royal private island and Nassau. Great experience, food and plenty of activities to do. On the cruise great service, food and night entertainment shows. We booked everything ahead and saved a couple of hundreds. Definitely a worthy experience, Royal never disappoints.
Aidita G wrote a review Jun 2022
Cutler Bay, Florida3 contributions7 helpful votes
Not a good deal because they charge for everything extra on the ship. You only have buffet and main dining options to eat. All the other restaurants they charge. If you get the deluxe drink package they charge 400 per person plus gratuity. They charge 15 dollars gratuity per person per day either way automatically. The ship doesn’t have enough seating poolside. You have to wake up very early to save chairs with towels if not you are stuck the whole day without a place to sit. Good luck on a sea day with that.
Fabio Sá wrote a review May 2022
3 contributions2 helpful votes
You see it on TV: "come spend a perfect day at CocoCay". There's this massive waterpark on a private island. Your daughter gets excited. You buy the cruise (not cheap and definitely not cheaper than the competition). But you buy it, after all, they're the only ones with a water park on a private island, and that's what you want for your kid. You get an email and start checking in to your reservation. Only THEN you realize that all that money you paid for actually DOESN'T include the water park!!! "But, sir, you can still access the beach and the complimentary pool". If I wanted a beach and a pool, then why would I be buying the "Perfect day at CocoCay???". You want CocoCay? It's an extra $300 for you and your kid, or $450 if you're a family of 3. Was that written ANYWHERE during my booking process? No. Well, maybe in the very fine print of the 100pg contract. But definitely not in the whole sales process. Had they warned me it would cost me an extra $300, as they did warn me about other stuff that would cost me additional money and which I happily declined to, maybe I would have even paid for it. But scamming me like this? Making you pay for access to a cruise with a waterpark that you don't really get access to? That's lying and scamming. At least they said they'll give me my money back. I'll wait and see. In the meantime, I hope nobody else falls for that scam.
2 Helpful votes

Upcoming itineraries

3 Night Cruise to the Bahamas
Departure date
Friday, 10/02/23
The map for this itinerary is not available at this time.
Itinerary
Prices are cruise only, per person, double occupancy, and are provided by our partners. Taxes, fees and port expenses are not included. Fuel supplements may apply. Availability of prices is subject to the supplier’s pricing availability.