LJM wrote a review Apr 2024
17 contributions
A lovely ship but seems as if there is just so much jammed into it. Ship was horrendously busy and getting a seat on the deck was a nightmare most days, unless you were up ridiculously early. Staff were exceptionally friendly and really did make the cruise a lovely place to be. More options for food would be better as the windjammer was unpleasantly busy at all times.
Sail Date: August 2023
Dining
Pools & Sundecks
Onboard Activities
Entertainment
Scroll below for other great reviews

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas

12 Night Cruise to the Baltic Sea
Departure date
Sunday, 02/06/24
Route
Southampton, Lisbon, Lanzarote, Gran Canaria, Tenerife, Madeira (Funchal), La Coruna, Southampton
View Map

Cabins
  Ocean View (2N)
  Ocean View (1N)
  Spacious Ocean View (1M)
  Interior with Virtual Balcony (2U)

Cabins

Balcony
Cabin size: 119 - 272 sq. ft.
Connected rooms: 378

• Sky Bar - Top Deck Bar*
  • Vintages - Wine Bar*
* May require additional fees

Reviews
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.

• 108
  • Filter
  • English
Alex wrote a review Today
Grimsby, United Kingdom24 contributions4 helpful votes
We have just came home from our first Royal Caribbean cruise and we have had an amazing week exploring the ship and trying out new activities. There is plenty to do on the ship and the staff were very welcoming and friendly. Our room was spotless when we arrived and was checked over daily by our lovely stateroom attendant Yoga, he always gave us a quick hello when we saw him in the corridors! In the room is a large double bed, a double sofa bed for the kids, balcony with 2 seats, a shower room that was larger than I was expecting on a ship. The shower had a shampoo/shower gel dispenser but there was no hand soap so I would make sure to pack some if we went again. There was a hairdryer, 2 US plug sockets and 1 EU socket on the dressing table, a kettle and tea and coffee but we didn’t use it. Our eldest daughter has celiac disease so follows a gluten free diet. It was very hit and miss food wise for her. We ate at the windjammer buffet most days for breakfast and our evening meal. It was very repetitive and the same standard of food as the many all inclusive hotels we have stayed at. However there was no allergy information on the food labels. There was a small gluten free section which was extremely repetitive. GF Breakfast had everything you needed;bacon, hash browns, scrambled egg, beans and some sliced meat and cheese. The gluten free evening meal section every day was a choice of 3 curries / stews, rice, mashed potato, gravy and a tray of vegetables. We found Sorrento’s Pizza did a gluten free pizza on request, you asked on arrival and it was cooked in 5-10mins on its own tray so no cross contamination. My daughter said it was the nicest GF pizza she has had and ended up having about 3-4 during the week! We did try the main dining room 1 day for breakfast and evening meal; the menu again had no allergy labelling so we had to ask to waiting staff about everything on the menu and they then had to go to the kitchen to check with the chef what was and wasn’t GF, it was very awkward and not an enjoyable experience so we stuck with the windjammer. We found the café promenade during the day had a selection of sandwiches and cakes, every day there was 1 GF sandwich to choose from and at least 1 pudding. The staff there were really helpful and friendly! Royal Caribbean advertise unlimited ice cream at the ice cream bar next to the pool where a member of staff is there to serve unlimited ice creams however there are no GF ice cream cones and no bowls so my 14 yr old couldn’t use it. I was very disappointed at such a huge company not being clued up on food labelling. As a family we loved all the different activities that were available on the ship. We swam in both the indoor and outdoor pools and use the hot tubs. We did I-fly with Stephanie which was an amazing experience and was included in the price of the holiday when used on port days, Stephanie was fantastic! We also did boogie boarding 3 times which was again included and lots of fun! The girls did rock climbing a few times. We found the boogie boarding and rock climbing very relaxed and easy to use…. it opened for a few hours a day and you could just get in the queue and wait for a turn, there was no time slots or limits of how many times you could have a go. We did lots of quizzes and the murder mystery and found the entertainment staff lots of fun. The shows in the royal theatre blew us away!!!! We will rock you and The gift were 100% west end quality and we always managed to get good seats to enjoy the shows. The comedians and juggler were good fun! We did also watch the spectre show which had some brilliant dancing and music but we didn’t really understand the story and talking between the dances. The bar staff in every part of the boat were fantastic and super friendly!! We bought the drinks package when we booked the holiday and found it very good value for money, there was Starbucks coffees, teas, hot chocolate and Frappuccinos included. Milkshakes from Jonny rockets. Pop, bottles of water, cocktails and mocktails from all the bars. We loved the activities available on board anthem of the seas and the fact you get to visit lots of different towns on your way, the food side of it was a let down but the shows were just amazing and we’re probably the highlight of our week!!
Stephen B wrote a review 20 May
Haughley, United Kingdom93 contributions120 helpful votes
Okay, so this is not my first Royal Caribbean cruise or my first time on the Anthem. In general I enjoyed the cruise, specially the Bar areas with the staff as they were on the Ball.. Chris and team in the North Star bar and Ben and team in the Solarium… Had a great time with them guys. I also have some first time cruises with me and they are brought into the cruise thing. My issue is the food. Its bland, tepid, and limited choice…. I can say that as my first RCA cruise was Wow!!! What fantastic food. So, I am comparing RCA from past cruises and NOT all-inclusive food in general, I get repeats and all that. Also why is there so much curry? Why all of a sudden do RCA think 90% of their passengers are Curry fans? Beef Bourguignon, Beef Stew, Irish Stew, Chicken chasseur, Lamb Hotpot, Beef Curry, Tika masala… Then a day after, they put a lid on it all and call it a pie. The list goes on, it’s a cop out.. The food is appalling. Food plays a huge part in the cruising experience, Royal are failing.
DayTrip08811543166 wrote a review 19 May
1 contribution
Arrived at the port to disorganised parking at near empty parking, not PC, but still bad impression. Went to board and was told I had to check my luggage in which I had not wanted to do. Got to our upgraded cabin which looked tiered and seemed to be missing some furniture. My wife was surprised that there was no shampoo or body wash, only cheap looking shower gel. Then went for lunch at the solarium cafe. The roast beef on offer was very tough, the beef stew not much better. In the solarium itself were only loungers and hardly any other (more comfortable) seating unless you wanted to sit in the smoking area further down the deck. We went to see the show which got better as it went on. Unfortunately after the show the main restaurant was closed and we opted for some pizza and sandwiches because we did not want to pay extra. The following morning we went for breakfast at the main restaurant. One of our party is gluten and dairy intolerant and the service they received was poor, which should not happen in an operation as large as RC. My eggs Benedicte had soggy muffins, one egg yolk missing and the hollandaise was thin enough to run of my eggs. Lunch at he Windjammer restaurant was average at best. I had to pick and try a number of the dishes before I could find something palatable. Though beef and stew. Some items cold. Desserts mainly pastries and chocolate, uninspired. The fried fish with tartar sauce was good. That evening we ate at Wonderland restaurant. The food looked better than it tasted. It lacked seasoning and imagination. There also was no themed service, mad hatter or Alice. I have contacted RC and am still waiting for a response and have since cancelled our next cruise on this ship
BriRose69 wrote a review 17 May
Ajax, Canada17 contributions20 helpful votes
We haven't even left for our trip yet June 2024 and I'm already fed up with RCL. We planned this trip for our 25th wedding anniversary almost 6 months ago. We've planned two (2) excursions so far - booked weeks ago. One has had the time changed and the other was completely cancelled. We were told by RCL excursion department that the prices will fluctuate throughout the cruise and prior to sailing and are influenced by tariffs and/or exchange rate and may increase with or without notice. They cannot give out their tour company info due to "preserving the exclusivity of their shore excursions, they are unable to provide guests with our tour operators contact information" (as per my request because I wanted to leave a review), For an example we booked a Tuk Tuk tour of Lisbon for 2pm as our time dinner was 5:30pm. Our price for two of us CAD was just over $300. The tour company increased their price to upwards of CAD $551 pp. They told us our time slot of 2pm is unavailable and bumped us to 6pm (the only time available). However, if you go to purchase at the $551 price mark you can choose a 1:30 time slot. It seems to me that the more you pay the chances of a better time slot is awarded. We've also book another tour in Madeira and that was abruptly cancelled on us. I wonder if its due to that fact that I requested their tour company information so that I could leave a review about their lack of customer service. I guess RCL is not was it use to be (as I've sailed on RCL two times before). Buyer beware! We've never had this issue on a Disney Cruise....and I've cruised with them 6 times.
Honest review wrote a review 13 May
Upholland, United Kingdom35 contributions93 helpful votes
Age 40's Weekend sample cruise on RC as a couple. (Previously been on P&O and Marella cruises) -Organised swift boarding process. -Disappointed -No spectacular atrium-shopping centre instead. -The pool deck was small for this size of ship-absolutely packed on sunny days, not enought sun loungers or seating, lots of disappointed people. -Under staffed (pointless having a drinks package-lots of ques and waiting at bars) -Windjammer buffet looked great but was very busy, repetitive and expected better quality food. -lots of lifts -Nice spacious, clean balcony cabin. -Great evening entertainment. Summary: Lots of activities for children-but large ques and overcrowded areas. *We wouldn't bring our family on RC, much prefer the value, service and food on P&O

Upcoming itineraries

12 Night Cruise to the Baltic Sea
Departure date
Sunday, 02/06/24
The map for this itinerary is not available at this time.
Itinerary
Prices are cruise only, per person, double occupancy, and are provided by our partners. Taxes, fees and port expenses are not included. Fuel supplements may apply. Availability of prices is subject to the supplier’s pricing availability.