We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals - Convienence vs Price - Groceries in France

Sundsvall, Sweden
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Car rentals - Convienence vs Price - Groceries in France

Hey,

I was hoping to get some advice from someone who knows the area more than myself.

A group of 8 of us will be traveling to Val-d'Illiez for a ski trip at the end of February- early March. We have rented a Van and are unsure if we should keep it for its conveniences, or cancel it as an unnecessary cost.

Ski Conveniences - Will this van allow us to ski different areas much better/easier or is our location just fine for getting around the mountains via gondola and skies?

Shopping Conveniences - I see that we are about 20 min drive away from Vonnes, France. Would we be saving a significant amount of money by doing our grocery and alcohol shopping in France?

Airport Transfer conveniences - Would it be much nicer to have this van instead of bussing from the Geneva Airport?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if you have any recommendations for skiing or other.

Clark

2 replies to this topic
Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
202 reviews
1. Re: Car rentals - Convienence vs Price - Groceries in France

You posted this on the Verbier forums as well - please see my reply there.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
655 reviews
2. Re: Car rentals - Convienence vs Price - Groceries in France

It all depends on where you'll be based in Val d'Illiez. If you are not by the train line, then a car is useful anyway. Then, yes nowadays you'll save money if you go shopping in France. But try to limit this to one shopping trip as it is a pain. Regarding ski domain variations, well, Portes du Soleil is so big, I am not sure this would be useful. But technically you could go to Villars or even Verbier, the latter being one hour aways.

Reply to: Car rentals - Convienence vs Price - Groceries in France
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Val-d'Illiez