We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raglan

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Raglan

Hey Everyone,

I am hoping to travel to Raglan from the Cormandel next week. Even though i have been thee before - it was so beautiful and relaxing id love to see it again.

I was thinking of heading the next day to Waitomo to do the cave experience - and then up to Rotorua for the evening. Spend a few days around rotorua/taupo/tongariro national park.

Thoughts? Any better recommendations? Is that drive to long?

Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: Raglan

Hi Danielle,

Driving from the Coromandel Peninsula to Raglan on the same day is very doable. The drive from Hamilton city to Raglan alone is a 45 minute drive, and the road is currently in very good condition. We drove to Raglan and back from Hamilton last month, and visited the Bridal Veil Falls as well. The side road to the falls is sealed, apart from a short section near the falls itself but the road was good anyway, just a little windy.

I recommend you don't take the back road via Kawhia to Te Anga, for Waitomo, but return towards Hamilton again, then turnoff to Otorohanga using SH39 to join SH3 and the turnoff to Waitomo village. There are two main routes from the caves to Rotorua, using either SH30 from Te Kuiti (just south of Waitomo turnoff), or the route through Putaruru to join SH5 at Tirau to Rotorua. This second day is a long journey, so take your time and enjoy frequent rest stops on the winding King Country/South Waikato roads.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Raglan

Thanks for the tips - had a great time!

Reply to: Raglan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Raglan
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.