We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is Morne Rouge call BBC Beach?

Michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
36 reviews
45 helpful votes
Why is Morne Rouge call BBC Beach?

I've been coming to Grenada for decades & just recently someone was filling me in on the BBC Beach & I thought a beach close to where I was staying that I didn't know about? Well it's possible. So it took awhile & when I said "Oh, you mean Morne Rouge", they looked @ me like I had 9 heads. So what does this mean, when did the name change or become a nickname? Does anyone have any idea?

4 replies to this topic
St. George's...
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
194 reviews
146 helpful votes
1. Re: Why is Morne Rouge call BBC Beach?

They are 2 different things, you need to use french or patois.

Morne rouge is red mountain or hill and refers to the area including the beach. Red because the area was full of an important cash crop a long time ago, indigo dye [original jeans dye] was produced from the red looking incredibly hard campeche tree.

BBC refers to blancos [i think] beach club which the beach became known as in the period after ww2.

Edited: 7 years ago
Michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
36 reviews
45 helpful votes
2. Re: Why is Morne Rouge call BBC Beach?

I thought Morne meant something to do with morning & Rouge, of course, red. I think the people I've met here recently think it has something to do with the British network BBC??? I guess there are many different slants but it's curious, because I've always referred to it as Morne Rouge.

St. George's...
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
194 reviews
146 helpful votes
3. Re: Why is Morne Rouge call BBC Beach?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/morne

http://gopuregrenada.com/essential-grenada/beaches/morne-rouge-bbc-beach

There are some old photos of blancos, but i cant find em...

Edited: 7 years ago
Michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
36 reviews
45 helpful votes
4. Re: Why is Morne Rouge call BBC Beach?

Okay, I get it Blanco's Beach Club, hence BBC; & the real name Morne (Hill) & Rouge (red). At least I am not under the impression anymore that I am going nuts & they're referring to the British BBC! Thanks!

Reply to: Why is Morne Rouge call BBC Beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Morne Rouge
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.