We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arequipa and Colca Canyon advice

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Arequipa and Colca Canyon advice

Hello

Myself and my husband will be in Peru in less than a month now and I'm just doing the last of the planning and organising. We will arrive in Arequipa early morning (about 7am if I remember correctly) on an overnight bus from Nazca. We then have 48 hours before we have to catch a flight to Cusco. My basic itinerary that I imagined isto do a short morning tour of Arequipa, then make our way to stay at Killawasi Lodge and stay overnight (only because i've read such good reviews!) then take the morning tour to see the condors and maybe a hike or a horse trek, and back to Arequipa in the afternoon to stay the night. Am I being too ambitious and can anyone give me any advice on how to get around etc?

Thanks so much :)

Ash.

2 replies to this topic
Israel
Level Contributor
233 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arequipa and Colca Canyon advice

The Killawasi tour departs from Arequipa between 7:30am and 8:15 am

If you make it in time - sure, go for it.

If you're late to the pick up, you have 2 options:

1. stay the day in Arequipa, and take the 1 day tour the next day (departs very early - 3-4 am and returns in the afternoon)

2. Get to Colca independently using public busses (I think there should be a Reyna bus departing to Chivay at 14:00, arriving 17:00. From Chivay you take a taxi to Killawasi which is about 5km away in a village called Yanque.). Then you join the tour from there (basically only the tour to the condor viewing point the next day as you will miss the 15:00 daily hike into Colca valley offered by the hotel for free.

In any case, the tour usually returns to Arequipa at 16:00 or 17:00, which will leave you little time to wander the old streets of requipa before sunset.

This is far from ideal, but can be done with proper planning and risk management

Edited: 27 March 2017, 21:58
Israel
Level Contributor
233 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arequipa and Colca Canyon advice

I didn't read your question thoroughly, so the answer is yes, you can go independently by bus as I said.

However you won't have time for any hike or horse ride, as all the tours return from the Condoer viewing point to Chivay around noon-1pm, and then continue to Arequipa after a short break for lunch. You can stay a little longer and take the last bus to Arequipa that leavas at 16:20. During this time you can hike from Chivay to Calera hot springs and back, or do a zip line there.

The bus time table is :

lacasadesantiago.com/eng/local-bus-arequipa-…

Edited: 27 March 2017, 22:33
Reply to: Arequipa and Colca Canyon advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted