We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colca Canyon Day Hike without a Guide?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Colca Canyon Day Hike without a Guide?

We will be in Colca Canyon for 2 days (1 night).

- Is it possible to visit the canyon and do a day hike (or two) without a guide?

- If so, is it dangerous to trek without a guide?

- If not, are there designated routes to follow?

- Where is the best place to start/finish/stay overnight?

Most of the things I read online focus on official guided 2 days/1 night Colca tours. I am keen to avoid a group tour so that we have more freedom to explore the canyon in our own time.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn

3 replies to this topic
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
4,474 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colca Canyon Day Hike without a Guide?

We went hiking in the canyon on our own. You would have to go to Cabanaconde. All hotels there can help you plan your trek and they have maps as well. Although it is possible to hike down into the canyon and back up in one day I highly recommend staying overnight in the canyon. We had more time and spent two nights in the canyon. This website helped us a lot:

http://www.pachamamahome.com/cabanaconde.htm

One day hike:

pachamamahome.com/cabanaconde.htm#sangalle

Two day hikes:

www.pachamamahome.com/cabanaconde.htm#sanjuan

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colca Canyon Day Hike without a Guide?

You can go down the canyon and back up from Cabanaconde in a day, if you wish so. But in this case, why don't you sleep at the bottom like orgznized groups do ?

You can also hike in Yanque, as far as the Inca ruins.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colca Canyon Day Hike without a Guide?

We did the 2 day trek from Cabanaconde staying in StGalles with a tour and guide.

I would absolutely recommend the 2 day with 1 night stay to have time to enjoy the view, really get to see the flora and fauna and have the chance to stay in the canyon over night in all its beauty and peace and quiet.

We definitely saw people doing the hike on their own, however we had a great time with our guide and we would recommend doing a tour, if the money is not a big issue. You always see and learn more with a guide. You get a personal perspective on the culture, get to know plants, herbs, see animals, spot the condor you may not have seen on your own cruz by, get an explanation for the cochinella farming going on on the cactus.

The hikes are not marked!!!!! So unless you have very good orientation or really good maps, it may be bit difficult at times.

You can read about our experience on our blog: https:/…

Reply to: Colca Canyon Day Hike without a Guide?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted