We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I will soon be moving to Nonthaburi .

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
441 posts
57 reviews
I will soon be moving to Nonthaburi .

Can anyone tell me about the area; Department stores, restruants, Food stores, attractions. Than you very much .

9 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,440 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: I will soon be moving to Nonthaburi .

I was once to a wedding in Nonthaburi town. My topmost feeling was amazement how much it looked like a quiet dusty provincial town somewhere in Isaan despite being across the border from Bangkok. It of course is the capital of Nonthaburi province. Thankfully there were metered taxis so that it was easy enough to get away.

The sights are not extensive https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g209… Koh Kret island village and Bang Kwang prison might be the most famous landmarks.

The Orange flag Chao Phraya Express boats run to Nonthaburi pier but now the MRT Purple line goes to Nonthaburi, too. www.bangkokmetro.co.th/mapPPL.aspx… I suggest you look at the station area maps to see what is there. The usual suspects are available: Central Rattanathibet, CentralPlaza Westgate, The Mall Ngamwongwan, etc.

Most of Nonthaburi is northwest of the river so where you actually are staying is rather significant for services. Being near a MRT station is now a good idea. I hope you are not going to reside in a moobaan down a small soi far away from any public transportation. There are such places also in Bangkok and you must get a motorbike or a car if you do not want to find life inconvenient.

Sort out where to go if you fall sick. Yanhee International Hospital can be a good choice despite being on the Bangkok side of the border. It is a full general hospital with an international service department despite being famous for plastic surgery.

Edited: 11 September 2016, 21:36
Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: I will soon be moving to Nonthaburi .

Hi

Why?

I hope because of work. If so try and stay as near to your work as possible

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,500 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: I will soon be moving to Nonthaburi .

Hi,

You are a bus/taxi ride away and a short ferry crossing to Koh Kret.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,342 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: I will soon be moving to Nonthaburi .

Nonthaburi is neither purgatory nor limbo. It has big shopping centres -- Esplanade and The Mall Ngamwongwan -- a huge market near the pier, nice restaurants, like along the riverside, the Impact Arena. Now it even has the MRT Purple Line. Rental costs are less than Bangkok and there are some nice residential districts. Even so, it's not actually that far from the city centre.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
441 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: I will soon be moving to Nonthaburi .

Thank you all for your replies. I am retired and have lived in Thailand for 26 years. Married a Thai Lady (Nurse) 24 years ago. We just bought a new home in a very exclusive housing area and that it why we are moving to Nonthaburi. Thank You.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,342 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: I will soon be moving to Nonthaburi .

Hope you enjoy your new home!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
35 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: I will soon be moving to Nonthaburi .

I've been living in Nonthaburi or close by for 12 years. I like it, although not the town centre around the market so much, which is a bit of a dump.

There are the usual Central department stores at Rattanathibet and Bang Yai (Central Westgate) as well as Esplanade Khae Rai (close to where I live) and The Mall Ngam Wong Wang. There are plenty of Tesco and Big C supermarkets as well as Tops and Villa (better for foreign foods).

There are excellent public transport links (including the new MRT Purple Line) from the Ngam Wong Wan area covering the entire Greater Bangkok area, although if you are living in an up-scale mooban then you'll probably have a car. If you do, there are motorway entrance/exits at both Ngam Wong Wan and Chaeng Wattana further north. To get from Ngam Wong Wan to Victory Monument by bus only takes about 25 minutes on a good day

For hospitals there is Nonthavej at Ngam Wong Wan, Kasemrad at either Bang Yai or near Ngam Wong Wan, (down Prachacheun Road at the junction of Ratchadapisek Road). These are all private.

There are plenty of Thai Government hospitals too - and the Ministry of Public Health is in Nonthaburi, not far from me, with a mental health and physiotherapy and rehab hospital on the site as well as a school of dentistry. At Khae Rai is the National Chest Institute, THE premier training hospital for cardio and other chest problems. One thing Nonthaburi isn't short of is hospitals!

As you are retired, you'll have to do your 90 day report to Nonthaburi immigration office, way out in the boonies a few miles from Bang Yai. It's not easy to find, but once you have been a couple of times, it will get easier. The Immi officers aren't the easiest to deal with, but they get better once they've seen you a few times.

As everywhere in Thailand, there are restaurants coming out of your ears, of varying quality. I can recommend Ban Rabiang Nam, on the Chaopraya river, just off Sanam Ban Nam Rd. Excellent Thai food. Although the name in Thai literally means 'house balcony water' they call it River Tree House on the website. www.baanrabiangnam.com/gettous.php3?lang=Eng The website has a very loud and annoying song on the home page, so be warned.

There's also Maria restaurant on Ratchapreuk Road, about 5 miles west of the river, which is an Italian place, but Thai style so not strictly authentic Italian. It can't quite make its mind up what it is, as they also sell Thai, Vietnamese and other cuisines as well as Italian. It's not too bad, not excellent, but good enough.

There are always plenty of restaurants here, and you just need to explore and find a few you like.

If your 'exclusive housing area' is out in the boonies (and it probably will be) then you'll need a car, of course, in which case, please bear in mind the traffic problems you'll get as you drive closer into Bangkok. It can take some commuters 2 to 3 hours to get from downtown Bangers out to places like Bang Bua Thong or further, (and longer when it rains). And it will rain. A lot, when in season.

I hope this helps, but post here again if you need more detail.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
35 posts
40 reviews
8. Re: I will soon be moving to Nonthaburi .

I forgot to mention in my previous reply that from Nonthaburi town centre, you can take the Chaopraya Express boat down into deepest Bangkok. The line terminates at Tha Nam Non (Nonthaburi Pier) and is the easiest an cheapest way to get into most of Bangkok without tearing your hair out in slow traffic.

Take a look here to check which lines go where (there are four) - http://www.chaophrayaexpressboat.com/en/home/

I often to take the boat to Phra Arthit pier (number 13), which is a short walk to Khaosan Road which, although hipster backpacker country, has some nice Western and Thai restaurants and bars, as well as a decent second hand book shop (Book Lovers - 089 9219022) in Soi Rambutri by the large temple (Wat Chanasongkhram Ratchaworamahawihan)

If you do go to that temple, note that the staff are VERY strict about dress, and will turn people away if they think they are improperly dressed.

Khaosan Road is worth a visit at night, for the market and the atmosphere, but note that the boats stop running at dusk.

Taking the boat all the way down to the Central Pier at Saphan Thaksin will get you to the Skytrain station and then you can get up into central Bangkok very easily.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
441 posts
57 reviews
9. Re: I will soon be moving to Nonthaburi .

Mr FixIt Bangkok, Thank you for your very imformative post. We bought a beautiful house in 'Perfect Masterpiece' . Do you know it and if so what is around it ? Yes I do have a car. I just got a map on how to get to Thai Immigration. Wow its out in the boonies alright. Thank you for your reply.

Reply to: I will soon be moving to Nonthaburi .
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nonthaburi