We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies worst I’ve known

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
51 reviews
Mozzies worst I’ve known

Been to Corfu so many times but mozzies are worse than ever. Using jungle formula autan and still being bit during the day. Any advice on what may work better would be appreciated.

22 replies to this topic
Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
904 posts
102 reviews
11. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

There are different sized tubes.

Annalong, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
32 reviews
12. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

Karen, Suzanne is absolutely spot on. Deet is the only thing that works. My OH gets severe reactions from mozzie bites so much so that she has had to visit the dr on occasions. Tried numerous products, nothing worked. Then, after lots of research decided to try deet, I know some folks don’t like using it because of the chemical content but for the couple of times we holiday a year it’s so worth it. Lifesystems expedition plus, you can buy it in most outdoor shops. If you are unlucky enough to get bitten, as she did last year there is a gel you can buy in Greece it’s called Fenistil it’s got antihistamine in it also and it is very effective stuff.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
45 reviews
13. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

Odomos is basically the Indian equivalent of DEET. The active ingredient in Odomos is N,N-Diethylbenzamide (DEB), a close relative of N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide (DEET). I haven’t tried Odomos but people tell me it smells nicer and is kinder to the skin! I don’t know if this is true?

This article published by the Indian Journal of Medical Research in 2011 may be of interest to some, but for those who can’t be bothered to read it (it’s rather long & boring), it concluded that ‘the eifficacy of Advanced Odomos and DEET creams was comparable in providing protection against mosquito bites’.

(PDF) Effcacy of Advanced Odomos repellent cream (N, N-diethyl-benzamide) against mosquito vectors. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/510… [accessed Sep 12 2018].

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
14. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

Brilliant forum, so useful. We're flying out on Wed so just bought DEET, not having my holidays dampened by scratching !

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
118 reviews
15. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

We still see people breaking all the rules ... doors open at dusk, lights on and using sprays incorrectly. Whichever spray you use, if all you do is spray it on, it will quickly evaporate. I think this is where most visitors go wrong. Once you have sprayed, for the product to be successful, you need to rub the ingredients into your skin until they have dried.

Steve

Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
99 reviews
16. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

We've been in Parga for 17 nights & now in Perama for 4. Hubby gets badly bitten, but this year he's had least bites. He uses Bug Off liberally day & evening, has gone through 5 x100mls, plus room spray & a mozzie band.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
45 reviews
17. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

Room spray works if you close all the doors and windows, etc, but it can’t be good for the poor geckos who feed on mosquitos and are therefore useful creatures to have around. :-(

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
118 reviews
18. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

In sixteen years in Corfu, I've never seen a gecko in the apartment. Sometimes, you may be lucky to see one at night by an outside light, hunting for moths. They are nocturnal.

Steve

Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
19. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

We stayed in Sidari first week in September. I was worried about wasps but they were no worse than in UK . Mossies were a real problem. We used Deet and room plug ins to no avail. My bites were not as itchy and inflamed as my partners I think because I was taking an anti -histamine Cetirizine. My partner was bitten many times on his legs between his shorts and socks(he didn't wear socks during the day) so we assume they are flying around under the restaurant tables on an evening so it may be a good idea to wear light trousers at night.

Didn't see many tourists who weren't sporting mossy bites somewhere on their person. Locals must have a wiser cover up policy!!

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
17 reviews
20. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

Mozzie milk is great we’ve used for a couple of years now no bites what so ever,told a friend who always has in the past came home full of bites he tried it this year guess what not one bite, it’s not cheap but it’s worth every penny, try it

Reply to: Mozzies worst I’ve known
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Acharavi