We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies worst I’ve known

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
51 reviews
Mozzies worst I’ve known

Been to Corfu so many times but mozzies are worse than ever. Using jungle formula autan and still being bit during the day. Any advice on what may work better would be appreciated.

22 replies to this topic
Corfu, Greece
Level Contributor
404 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

If you get bitten, putting a hairdrier on the bite as hot as you can bear (without burning) really works.

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

Are they much of a problem as coming out next week

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

May just be where we are staying in Acharavi. The pool area has lots of plants and is watered daily. But defo bring lots of spray etc. Been bit 20 times plus.

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
119 reviews
4. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

The watering will provide them with breeding grounds - may garden just along the road is exactly the same. If I leave a full watering-can overnight, it's soon full of larvae. They are much the same as usual, overall.

Steve

Edited: 08 September 2018, 21:24
scotland
Level Contributor
33 posts
99 reviews
5. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

The locals use a product callled citronella, geranium and tea tree oil. Buy it in any shop for 4.80 euros. You will find it in a pale blue bottle.

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

We are staying in Dassia at the moment and being bitten by mozzies when we come out of the pool. We are putting Autan on but clearly not working! Got some antihistamine from a pharmacy and using the cooling spray once bitten.

North Wales
Level Contributor
595 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

We were in Acharavi last week and the mozzies were a constant menace.

jersey,Channel Isles
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

Too late for people already there but this year I used Odomos Cream after reading recommendations. I normally get eaten alive. In 3 weeks I had 2 bites.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
952 posts
102 reviews
9. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

I used Odomos last year Karen and it worked beautifully. This year, two holidays including Corfu and no effect. The tubes were all new and I ended up throwing it in the bin and reverting to deet.

Edited: 11 September 2018, 19:41
jersey,Channel Isles
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
62 reviews
10. Re: Mozzies worst I’ve known

Oh no and I thought that I had found a solution at last. I bought mine from Amazon this year and it was so good that I ordered some on my return for my holiday in October. The ones on Amazon had gone up in price massively so I ordered from EBay and the tubes were much smaller.

Reply to: Mozzies worst I’ve known
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Acharavi
Recent Conversations