We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are 9 nights too long in Moalboal?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Are 9 nights too long in Moalboal?

We are planning our 1st real trip to Philippines (were there only briefly over 15 yrs ago) next Feb. We have about 2-3 weeks. Flying in to MNL, then CEB, spend 1 night near airport, we will rent our own car at airport and drive down to Moalboal where we have booked 9 nights at Turtle Bay Resort. I know many of your would recommend against renting our own car, but we like to be independent, and drive our own car all over the world, including Bali every year, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Istanbul, Naples. We are very slow travelers, we like to spend time in places and really relax. Our main goal this trip is great snorkeling, preferably off the shore, or if necessary, a very short boat ride. We are looking for fabulous world class snorkeling, as good as Komodo Island or Bunaken. My question is: would we be happy just snorkeling every day in Moalboal for a week (either at the Turtle Bay Resort) or a short boat ride away? We are happy snorkeling in the same place for a week if the coral and sea life are fabulous. Also, after Moalboal, we are planning on driving via car ferry to Siquijor, and snorkeling off the marine sanctuary by Coco Grove for about a week. From there, we might just go off to Bali as we do every year, or maybe on to Coron to do some island hopping.

Basically we are looking for a lazy beach vacation with fantastic easy access snorkeling. Will we find that in Moalboal and Siquijor?

Thanks advance for any input.

12 replies to this topic
11. Re: Are 9 nights too long in Moalboal?

For me its too long. I have been there but never liked the beaches.

But, you mention you have a car. Youcan drive along the coastal area South of Cebu. Visit the famous Kawasan Falls. there is also Aguinid falls which is very nice to visit. From there you can drive to Oslob for Whale Shark watching. You can also visit Sumilon Island for a boat ride.

From Oslob it is only a 20-25mins drive to Liloan Port where you can hop on a Ship to Siquijor., which is only 1 trip a day (10am) I am not sure how much they charge for a car round trip. I only know from Liloan to Sibulan Dumaguete it cost Php1086 for a car round trip.

Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
12. Re: Are 9 nights too long in Moalboal?

sorry for the late reply but i dont login often.

i just got back from moalboal 2 week holiday with my wife and kids and new born in october.I understand your need to hire a car but honestly its not needed. You can get a van or taxi for 2000 peso to moalboal from cebu city. yes it would be nice to have a car in siiqjor but u need rego papers etc etc im sure u can also get a carand driver in siqijor for a day trip also around the island.

i always stay at pacitas in pagasama beautiful place cottage 8 is the grandest ocean views 20 metres to the water right where u want to snorkel.

i have snorkled outside coco grove but i had to go out at least 150 metres to see any larger fish .

In moalboal now there are many boats or alternativly get on a dive boat to pescador island 30 mins travel for snorkling also .

If it is snorkling u love then Balicasaag island off alona beach panglao is fantastic, as is apo island off dauin negros 30 min car ride from dumagete.

im going back to moalboal and balicasaag late feb 2019.

In reply to your question really it is moalboal over sicijor for me .

i just think the short distance u will be driving just doesnt warrant car rental .

Reply to: Are 9 nights too long in Moalboal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Moalboal