We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back

Den Bosch, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back

Hello,

I want to go to Moalboal for a day for canyoneering and the next day I will be back. I understand that a bus (Ceres) takes about 3 hours to get there and leaves from Ceres South Bus Terminal. Is this correct?

Other than that I couldn't find any information about the bus schedule. How often do buses go (in either direction) and from when to when (earliest and latest bus), in either direction?

The bus stop in Moalboal is at the National Hwy as located here: https:/…345359162185033 ? Is that also where buses to Cebu City leave from?

Do you pay in cash at the bus driver?

Thanks in advance!

27 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
2,271 reviews
1. Re: Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back

The buses are at least hourly, and sometimes every half hour. In late January, it took three hours 15 minutes from the south bus terminal, Cebu City to the Moalboal bus stop near the public market. This was in quite heavy traffic through the Cebu City 'suburbs' (actually separate cities) such as Talisay.

You pay the conductor in cash. My notebook is elsewhere but from memory the fare was well under P200 each way.

A few buses are airconditioned but most are not on this route. With windows open it is quite pleasant when the bus picks up speed. The buses back to Cebu City leave opposite the arrival stop. The tricycle drivers all know where it is so you will be fine.

Ceres buses run 24 hours a day so it is actually an extremely good bus service. Be aware that some seats near the driver (on the built up section of the passenger saloon) lack legroom and can be quite uncomfortable after an hour, so seats further back will be preferable.

Edited: 26 February 2017, 11:54
Cebu City...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
12,354 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back

The bus will stop where ever you ask it to stop along it it's route.

For pick up. So long is it is on the route back to Cebu City, just signal the driver to stop.

Level Contributor
1,389 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back

You might be surprised how wrong was your information about canyoneering in Moalboal. Moalboal is known for its diving sites, sardines run, snorkeling and white beach. They don't have canyoneering activities there.

Canyoneering is in Alegria and Badian. You start in Alegria and end in Badian, particularly in Kawasan Falls. So before you get lost, telling the driver to stop in Moalboal, be sure you know exactly where you want to get off the bus.

But anyways, buses operate 24/7. Buses to southwestern seaboard are aplenty but aircon fleet are not that many compared to those plying the southeastern seaboard like Oslob. However, non-aircon buses are just as good if you don't mind the dust while in the early leg of the trip. Beyond Talisay all the way to your destination, it's actually a pleasant breeze that caress your face.:-)

Buses don't accept reservation nor they issue tickets in advance. Just show up there and get on board the bus bound for BATO via BARILI (not BATO via OSLOB). The latter plies the southeastern seaboard while the former, southwestern seaboard, your destination. Take whatever empty seat you can find. The conductor issues ticket only when the bus has already left the terminal asking you your destination. This time, be clear to the conductor/driver that you want to go for the canyoneering in Badian.

Search for adventure tour operator on the internet and find out how you can get there. Chances are, if you have made a reservation with a tour operator, they would tell exactly what to do and they might even fetch you from the bus stop.

Den Bosch, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back

Thank you all for your comments, it's very helpful! @Giorgio, I know Moalboal isn't the place to go canyoneering but I found a cheap hostel that'll organize canyoneering themselves.

However, I do prefer to be picked up in Cebu city and dropped off there again. I know some, like Island Trek Tours, offer this service, but it's very expensive if you're just by yourself. If anybody knows a company that offers a shared van/bus to/from Badian and back, that would be great :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back

Just a recap re times ........Cebu to Moalboal = 3 hrs 20 mins approx

Cebu to Oslob= ?

Oslob to moalboal = ?

Thanks

Level Contributor
1,389 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back

Cebu to Oslob = Approx. 3.5-4 hours by bus

Oslob to moalboal = 2-2.5 hours by bus on 2 legs (Oslob to Bato, Santander and Bato to Moalboal)

1 post
7. Re: Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back

how many hours from badian to oslob? thanks

1 post
8. Re: Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back

the last trip of aircon to moalboal is 6pm

Lapu Lapu...
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back

If you just want to go for a canyoneering go directly to Kawasan Falls in Badian, you can take an early bus trip 6 am and reach Kawasan by 9 or 10 am. In Kawasan you can find many agency to offer canyoneering, pay the regulated price of 1500 pesos per person, dont pay more than that. It takes 3 to 4 hours activity, by 2 to 3 pm you can ride a bus back to Cebu city.

Talisay City...
2 posts
10. Re: Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back

The easy ways are, just make sure you are in the national road or national highway where you can ride any bus going to bato via barili. if you near to the cebu, take a cab and proceed directly to Cebu South Bus Terminal

Reply to: Buses from Cebu City to Moalboal and back
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Moalboal