We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Chanthaburi

Level Contributor
51 posts
83 reviews
Safety in Chanthaburi

Hi.Is Chanthaburi a safe area for a young female solo traveller? Many thanks.

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
172 reviews
1. Re: Safety in Chanthaburi

Yes, Of course you need to take normal precautions for your own safety as with anywhere, don't hire a motorcycle unless you have a full licence for one from your home country and are an experienced rider. Do not get over drunk.

Level Contributor
51 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: Safety in Chanthaburi

Thank you for your reply.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
785 posts
313 reviews
3. Re: Safety in Chanthaburi

Quite safe. I have visited Chanthaburi on many occasions. I like taking the 6.30am bus from Mochit. Traffic permitting, you should arrive before noon (approx 4-5hrs bus ride). Ticket price is 187B on the Transport Co. government bus ride.

Alternatively for a hair-raising experience, try the minivans (rod-dtoo). I haven't put my life at risk with this option, since these minivans are notorious for speeding even while cornering.

Anyway arriving at the Chanthaburi bus terminal, you will be stormed by taxis (Mazdas... you call them that) when you arrive. Just steer clear. Otherwise the price for a one way ride is usually around 50B. I understand locals get it cheaper but hey, don't haggle over 50B. If is any price in the 3digits, don't board the vehicle.

Anyway your biggest challenge in Chanthaburi is transport. If you cycle, great. Remember reflective bright clothings and head and tail lights.

Otherwise you may be able to cover most of the city grid on foot. But if you intend to visit the nearby attractions, it will be 20-30KM away, which makes commuting a challenge without your own wheels.

There motorbike rentals but beware of scams and other unnecessary scenarios.

Safe for solo women. No fear.

Dress well and all should be fine. There is an expat community in Chanthaburi, so you won't be uniquely exotic meat.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
4. Re: Safety in Chanthaburi

Yes, generally safe for solo women travelers IMO.

Reply to: Safety in Chanthaburi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chanthaburi