We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to see and do near Gore ?

dungog
Level Contributor
236 posts
91 reviews
33 helpful votes
to see and do near Gore ?

We have Gore on our must visit list , as my OH,s last name is Gore, and am wondering what you suggest for us to see and do in the area.

We wont be in a rush, and if any of you could suggest a nice place to overnight , we might even stay the night. We like small quiet places that dont cost an arm and a leg. With a nice view would be even better.

Any help and suggestions for the town and area are appreciated.

Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Te Anau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,840 posts
53 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: to see and do near Gore ?

Gore is not moted for being a top tourist destination. It's main claim to fame is as The Brown Trout fishing capital of the world. Despite being born and raised in Gore I have never caught a Brown Trout there, so I can't attest to the validity of this claim.

It is also "The Country Musoc Capital of New Zealand". And the Gold Guitar awards are held there each year on Queens Dirthday weekend. (Early June).

The "Creamota" breakfast cereal factory is in Gore, but it now produces stock feed. The Sergant Dan. logo still adorns the factory wall facing the Main Street.

In the nearby town of Mandiville there is the aviation heritage museum which is well worth a visit.

The next town north of Gore is Clinton. And in a previous US presidential election the local council made the cringe worthy decision to name the stretch of SH1 between Gore and Clinton the "Presidential Highway". Fortunately the sign is in the process of falling down, and I don't think there is any enthusiasm to replace it.

There are a number of Motels, and one Hotel, Croydon Lodge. Nothing I would describe as cute or unique , but cheap and comfortable.

I hope you enjoy your visit go Gore. Please come back and let us know if you find any hidden gems.

Oz
Level Contributor
18,996 posts
41 reviews
22 helpful votes
2. Re: to see and do near Gore ?

Hi,

>>The next town north of Gore is Clinton. And in a previous US presidential election the local council made the cringe worthy decision to name the stretch of SH1 between Gore and Clinton the "Presidential Highway". <<

I believe the nearest cross street is Lewinsky Lane ?

Cheers,

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
33,898 posts
93 reviews
104 helpful votes
3. Re: to see and do near Gore ?

The Gore art gallery is quite renowned.

I've only been once and that was a number of years ago when the visiting collection was on Antarctica (I had just returned home from the ice). And yes, I was impressed. http://www.esgallery.co.nz/

If you stay and happen to visit nearby Invercargill, do visit Henry the Tuatara. http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/150-stories-in-150-days/8242247/Henry-111-is-finally-in-the-mood

Enjoy :)

Te Anau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,840 posts
53 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: to see and do near Gore ?

Been there have you OZ 😂. I wasn't going to mention that. LOL 👍👍

Te Anau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,840 posts
53 reviews
20 helpful votes
5. Re: to see and do near Gore ?

True WL. Forgot about the art gallery. It houses the John Money collection. John Money is quite (in)famous. Do a search on the name. He was also an avid art collector, and for whatever reason, decided to bequeath his entire collection to the Gore Art Gallery.

Also worth a visit is the Hokonui Moonshine Museum, just across the road from the art gallery. Interesting history of Gore's illustrious past as a hotbed of illegal whiskey distilling in the early years of the 20th century

Edited: 7 years ago
Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
33,898 posts
93 reviews
104 helpful votes
6. Re: to see and do near Gore ?

Truly a fascinating man.

dungog
Level Contributor
236 posts
91 reviews
33 helpful votes
7. Re: to see and do near Gore ?

OK, will keep all those suggestions on my list of "to do " in Gore.

I will have a read about John Money .

Thanks all.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,530 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
8. Re: to see and do near Gore ?

t thing about Gore is the road out.

Reply to: to see and do near Gore ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gore
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.