We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location of Brown Trout Statue

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
56 posts
258 reviews
78 helpful votes
Location of Brown Trout Statue

Hi, we will be driving from Te Anau via State Highway 94, was thinking of stopping by at Gore. Been reading much about the Brown Trout Statue and been trying to find it using Google Maps, but could not find the exact location (or driving direction) of the Brown Trout Statue. Would be grateful if anyone could share the direction/location/street name of this Brown Trout Statue. Many thanks!

10 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,288 posts
744 reviews
511 helpful votes
1. Re: Location of Brown Trout Statue

Northern entrance to Gore. right next to welcome sign, in a garden setting.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
33,898 posts
93 reviews
104 helpful votes
2. Re: Location of Brown Trout Statue

Welcome to the forum :)

You will drive right past the trout, here's a map http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/interactive/20172/monumental-gore

Te Anau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,840 posts
53 reviews
20 helpful votes
3. Re: Location of Brown Trout Statue

Actually if coming from TeAnau you might not notice it unless you are looking in the right direction

Immediately after turning left at the roundabout at the beginning of Main Street, look to you left, and there it is. If you are lucky there will be vacant parks on your left where you can stop for a look. If not, carry on a bit and turn left at the next roundabout which will bring you to a much quieter area where thre will most likely be parks.

While here you should also check out the Hokonui Moonshine Museum, and the John Money Art Gallery at the library.

After looking at the fish statue you will cross the Mataura River, reportedly the finest brown trout fishery in the world. I have my doubts about this, but then I'm not a fisherman .

There's a similar statue at Rakaia, of a Salmon.

Te Anau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,840 posts
53 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Location of Brown Trout Statue

Actually if coming from TeAnau you might not notice it unless you are looking in the right direction

Immediately after turning left at the roundabout at the beginning of Main Street, look to you left, and there it is. If you are lucky there will be vacant parks on your left where you can stop for a look. If not, carry on a bit and turn left at the next roundabout which will bring you to a much quieter area where thre will most likely be parks.

While here you should also check out the Hokonui Moonshine Museum, and the John Money Art Gallery at the library.

After looking at the fish statue you will cross the Mataura River, reportedly the finest brown trout fishery in the world. I have my doubts about this, but then I'm not a fisherman .

There's a similar statue at Rakaia, of a Salmon.

California
Destination Expert
for New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
5. Re: Location of Brown Trout Statue

If you are here: -46.098825, 168.947080 (42 Waipahi Hwy on Googlemaps), look to your left. It will be right after you turn left from SH94 to SH1.

Edited: 8 years ago
Te Anau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,840 posts
53 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Location of Brown Trout Statue

Lol. DS. Google maps is weird. I have no idea how they choose their names . I was born and raised in Gore, and never heard Medway street referred to as Waipahi Hwy. nor was Main Street called Waimea Hwy. SH1 does pass through a small settlement called Waipahi, and sh94 runs through the Waimea Plains, but you will look on vain for any streets of that name.

BTW. during a previous U.S. Election the stretch of SH1 between Gore and Clinton was named the "Presidential Highway". I thought it was pathetic, but enough people thought it was a good idea to make it happen. The signs are still there but getting rather dilapidated. Hopefully in time they will fall down and never be missed 😄

California
Destination Expert
for New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
7. Re: Location of Brown Trout Statue

It does make it very confusing to plan routes. Googlemaps places high emphasis on SH numbers, which we found almost non-existant (not marked) when traveling. Usually, we noted where the route went and looked for signs indicating that the coming turn would take you to town Such-n-such. Somehow, we managed - and without GPS.

I do like Googlemaps for ease of use and ability to make personalized maps. But road names are taken with a grain of salt.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
56 posts
258 reviews
78 helpful votes
8. Re: Location of Brown Trout Statue

Found it! Thank you all for your kind assistance and guidance. Appreciate it.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
51,286 posts
577 reviews
231 helpful votes
9. Re: Location of Brown Trout Statue

Your comment is odd about the route number deSchenke as when I travel I sometimes note the lack of street or place names and ONLY highway numbers. I can't think of an intersection on a main route through Canterbury that doesn't have the route number in large letters.

There is talk of trialling illuminated signs in 6 languages next summer. Maybe that will be even more confusing!

Te Anau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,840 posts
53 reviews
20 helpful votes
10. Re: Location of Brown Trout Statue

DS & Zuhai, its blimmin Murphy at work again. There will be street names and highway numbers everywhere except when you really need them😄

Reply to: Location of Brown Trout Statue
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gore
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.