We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Iraq/Kurdistan border

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
North Iraq/Kurdistan border

Hi Guys,

Hope you are all well!

There is only a few weeks left for my big Caucasus-Middle East trip... I can't describe how excited I am to visit North Iraq/KRG. I do, however, have an important question that I would appreciate to have a clear answer to.

I am planning to enter North Iraq/KRG from Iran heading to Sulaymaniyah, after that to Erbil. Afterwards I intend to leave by bus to Diyarbakir in Turkey.

My questions are thus the following:

1. KRG visa on arrival is also issued on land border crossing points, right? Not just the Erbil Airport?

2. The situation in South Turkey is politically volatile... I have heard that in some cases the Turkish border authorities can arrest foreign tourists for thorough interrogations. How is the situation like there now? Not that I am afraid of facing tough questions, just wondering how stable and safe it is to cross the border there.

Many thanks in advance! :)

6 replies to this topic
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
499 posts
1 review
1. Re: North Iraq/Kurdistan border

Wow! You're doing what I am too chicken to do - crossing the land border. I read that it can be tricky because they may wish to interview you and may not speak English. The page I saw said that they only recommended that you cross that border on land if you speak Farsi well or if you have someone you trust as an interpreter. However, that information could be wrong. I was going to fly from Tehran to Sulaymaniyah in Iraqi Airways, but when I tried to book the flight it was sold out. So, I'm staying in Iran.

Whatever you do can you please tell us in this forum how it works out.

Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
2. Re: North Iraq/Kurdistan border

I crossed the land border at Ibrahim Khalil in a bus. Going back into Turkey from Iraq took a long time, but I wasn't interrogated or anything. Southeastern Turkey is fine, I don't think you'll have any problems there.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
499 posts
1 review
3. Re: North Iraq/Kurdistan border

I've heard of people crossing the Turkey/Kurdistan border, even on foot. It was specifically the Iran/Kurdistan border that I read was tricky. However, not everything you read is true.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
87 posts
4. Re: North Iraq/Kurdistan border

I drove across the Iran - Iraq border at Beshmaq, spent 10 days driving around northern Iraq and then drove into Turkey. The borders were friendly and fine, just a bit disorganised upon leaving Iraq, but that was probably due to having the car.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: North Iraq/Kurdistan border

Thanks a lot, everyone!

So much more fascinating to cross the land border than flying. That's a great way to see and experience more of the region/countries...

Will be happy to report and update everyone with the latest information afterwards!

Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
6. Re: North Iraq/Kurdistan border

I totally agree, I also always prefer Overland travel. Have fun on your trip!

Reply to: North Iraq/Kurdistan border
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Erbil