We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low cost dive vacation

Boston...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
10 helpful votes
Low cost dive vacation
Save

Hello! It's been a while since I planned a vaca and am in desperate need. My daughter and I went to Iberostar Cozumel a few years ago for a week long dive vacation in April and really enjoyed it. We are looking for another low cost all inclusive option in Riviera Maya (lower flight cost to CUN) for just 5 days with 6 dives. We would go back to Cozumel but would prefer a better swim area. Any recommendations for Riviera Maya and Cozumel are welcome! Thanks for any advice.

7 replies to this topic
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
2 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Low cost dive vacation
Save

It is easy to get from CUN to Cozumel using the ADO bus and ferry. There are plenty of hotels on Cozumel from the Melia at the far north to Iberostar.

Go to Google Earth and zoom in to Cozumel to see the hotels and where they are located then check their prices.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
689 posts
121 reviews
123 helpful votes
2. Re: Low cost dive vacation
Save

we stayed at what is now the sunscapes on coz. i remember the beach / swimming area to be quite nice.

i have also stayed at the allegro on coz. that was a very long time ago though.

i know people who vacation at the secrets aura every year. they love it. but i think that is pretty pricey.

the occidental is also in that same southern area.

we have also stayed a few times at what is now the wyndam hotel cozumel. we enjoyed it there. some nice easy shore diving is avail too. great at night. prices have def gone up there.

barracuda? scuba club?

i would def recommend coz over playa for ocean diving.

you could certainly do cheaper rooms in town on coz, and eat at the less expensive local restaurants. but that comes with a price for the diving. often it is just not as convenient to get to the boats etc. and there is no beach area in town that i know of except for a small one at the park royal.

i have stayed there as well and i really liked it.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Low cost dive vacation
Save

I highly recommend Cenote Xperience (yes they also do ocean dives), they have a small family run dive shop in Playa Del Carmen and they also dive over on Cozumel. I have been diving with Nico for over 12 years.

http://www.cenotexperience.com.mx/index.php?language=en

Edited: 19 February 2024, 12:39
Boston...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Low cost dive vacation
Save

Thanks so much for the information! I guess I assumed the dive shops in Playa would go out to the reefs near Cozumel. I'll look into some of the places you mentioned for sure. I appreciate it. Any particular dive shops on COZ you'd recommend or steer clear of? We are both pretty new divers with Open Water Certs only.

Boston...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Low cost dive vacation
Save

Thanks so much for the information! I guess I assumed the dive shops in Playa would go out to the reefs near Cozumel. Is that not the case? We'd only have 5 nights so I'd like to minimize travel. I assume it would take a while to coordinate a bus and ferry from CUN to get to COZ. Any particular dive shops on COZ you'd recommend or steer clear of? We are both pretty new divers with Open Water Certs only. Thanks again!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
2 reviews
13 helpful votes
6. Re: Low cost dive vacation
Save

The ADO bus from the Cancun airport and ferry are easy. Sure it takes two hours or more but travel is travel. Do what you have to do.

Read this for a general idea of the process:

http://tinyurl.com/7m3r6

Taking a small boat from the mainland to dive on Cozumel is not something that I would do or recommend.

If you want the best open water dive experience stay on Cozumel.

I use Aldora.com but you may balk at the cost.

If you give up on the swimming from your hotel requirement, you can stay in town for less and have more dining options.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
689 posts
121 reviews
123 helpful votes
7. Re: Low cost dive vacation
Save

you can check with matt at tank ha in playa.

they did have their own boat that took divers across to coz but i am not sure if they still do that.

at one time, they were the only shop that had their own boat and were doing this. but things may have changed.

Reply to: Low cost dive vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Riviera Maya
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.