We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway and Kenmare itinerary suggestions

2 posts
1 review
Galway and Kenmare itinerary suggestions

We are a sibling group of 7 traveling to Ireland May 19-24. We arrive at Shannon Airport early in the morning of the 19th. We would like to book a driver for airport transfer from Shannon to Galway where we will stay at the Park House for 2 nights. We have then rented a house in Kenmare and return to Shannon for a noon flight on May 24. I have a number of questions that I hope the Forum can help with:

--Does this overall itinerary sound OK? Would Galway be a good base for two days?

-- We will be adjusting from jet lag, so I thought that on the arrival day we would just sightsee in Galway. The next day, we would do some sightseeing, perhaps to Connemara or the Aran Islands. Which would you recommend?

--We will then go to Kenmare. We will spend one day of our three day visit fly fishing and hiking and a day or two sightseeing.

--Can anyone recommend a good itinerary? I assume we will see the Cliffs on the way down to Kenmare from Galway. I assume we would drive The Ring of Kerry one day from Kenmare. In terms of likes, we would like to have some city experiences including pubs and Irish music, and some small towns and then "typical" sites like the Burren, Ring of Kerry, Dingle Penninsula (if this is possible)

Also, we would like to hire drivers or driver/guides throughout so that none of us have to drive. Can you recommend a good company or companies to help with Airport transfers and sightseeing for several days?

--We will split costs, but if the driver idea is too expensive, we can also rent a small van—although we are hoping to just have fun and not worry about driving.

Thanks so much for any advice. I know I have a lot of questions.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,244 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Galway and Kenmare itinerary suggestions

2 days for Galway gives one middle day and leaves a long drive to Kenmare. Fine if all you want to see is either Inis Mor or a bit of Connemara. Galway to Kenmre is a long haul when fitting in the Cliffs of Moher, possibly Bunratty.

I'm not allowed to give my Clare and Galway driver/guide on forum but contact Ring Of Kerry Sightseeing Tours.

Recently priced up a Mini Bus (9 seat) rental for an 8 day tour next May, €1700 (including insurances and €200 fuel) so that's a base price self drive you can about double that if you add a driver/guide for the full trip.

As to Itinerary, you seem to know what you want already but if you are talking to a driver they will (should) work with you on what is practical.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,244 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Galway and Kenmare itinerary suggestions

Should also have said Kerry Experience Tours.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,616 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Galway and Kenmare itinerary suggestions

Tony knows that area very well and his ideas are good....

however, with only 5 days, and 1 of them arrival day IMO you have too much planned....you really need to be close to Shannon the night before your flight as you need to be at the airport by 9:00 a.m.......which means you'd have to be on the road from Kenmare at about 6:00 and too much can happen to delay you causing you to miss your flight and to rebook is quite costly......just something to think about....

2 posts
1 review
4. Re: Galway and Kenmare itinerary suggestions

Thanks so much. I have been concerned about the Kenmare to Shannon ride on the same day as the flight. Do you have any suggestions about how to divide up the 5 days? Three days in Kenmare are fixed, but I could do 4 days there and a day someplace closer to Shannon on the last day if that made sense. Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks so much!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,616 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Galway and Kenmare itinerary suggestions

can you not cancel your Kenmare time?.....if so IMHO Tony's ideas for Counties Galway and Clare would be less driving and less stressful than the trip to Kenmare....there is more than enough to experience and see than can possibly be done in 5 days in those 2 counties......of course it's your trip and only you can decide....

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,244 posts
76 reviews
6. Re: Galway and Kenmare itinerary suggestions

If you could have your last night in Ennis you could catch a little of the http://www.fleadhnua.com/ but finding accommodation in town for a group could be tight.

I had miss read your post this morning assumed you had 2 days in Galway then a week in Kenmare, totally missed the dates. 5 days just doesn't cover too much.

With 2 nights in Galway you would then need to head straight down to Kenmare. perhaps see a bit of the National Park and Muckross that late afternoon. Ring of Kerry on the middle day and if aiming for Ennis the Dingle figure of eight between Kenmare and Ennis. The Cliffs would have to be day one on the rise from SNN to Galway.

Bay Springs...
Level Contributor
62 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: Galway and Kenmare itinerary suggestions

Kenmare is a great base for the Beara peninsula. I know the ROK gets more publicly but we did both the ROK and Beara on our recent visit and we liked Beara much better. If you can fit both in, all the better but if I was having to choose one or the other Beara would be my choice every time - especially from Kenmare (which we loved incidentally).

8. Re: Galway and Kenmare itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2018, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Western Ireland
Recent Conversations