We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telcel, texts and iPhone messaging.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
151 helpful votes
Telcel, texts and iPhone messaging.

My Canadian provider did away with travel packages and now only offers a “Free to Roam” $16 a day option - so much for the CRTC. I went to my local Telcel provider and purchased a SIM card and a package. Almost immediately, all of my contacts were switched over to the Mexican country code. I got some help and changed my most often used contacts from +52 to 001. My iPhone can now message other iPhones but text messages to android phones are almost alway “not delivered.” Has anyone experienced this as well, and can anyone suggest a fix.

9 replies to this topic
Riviera Nayarit...
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
377 reviews
121 helpful votes
1. Re: Telcel, texts and iPhone messaging.

I would encourage you to download the WhatsApp communication app to your phone. It works very well in Mexico for texting and calls. I don’t believe it is carrier dependent either. We prefer it to regular texting via AT&T or messenger. Good luck.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
151 helpful votes
2. Re: Telcel, texts and iPhone messaging.

Thanks for the advice. I have downloaded the app. Now, I have to figure out how to use it, ha, ha.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
151 helpful votes
3. Re: Telcel, texts and iPhone messaging.

Thanks for the advice. I have downloaded the app. Now, I have to figure out how to use it, ha, ha.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
358 posts
104 reviews
160 helpful votes
4. Re: Telcel, texts and iPhone messaging.

Feliz navidad! Yes, that's the only downside, iPhone to Android does not work. WhatsApp is a good option, as is Facebook Messenger, but both sender and receiver need to have it installed. Still the Telcel SIM card is a great way to be connected and stay in touch both locally and at home.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
151 helpful votes
5. Re: Telcel, texts and iPhone messaging.

Thanks, out of curiosity, does android to android work!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
41 reviews
41 helpful votes
6. Re: Telcel, texts and iPhone messaging.

If your phone has eSIM capability Airalo app is a good option. It’s a little more expensive than telcel but it basically gives you data on your eSIM. Can then use WhatsApp, messenger, google etc. You can’t talk and text on your home number (well you can but your carrier will charge you the daily roaming fee). But you will still be connected to your home number in case any verification is needed.

So you’d put your home SIM card in then get the Airalo app and load the data you will need

https://www.airalo.com/about-us/about-airalo

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
35 reviews
66 helpful votes
7. Re: Telcel, texts and iPhone messaging.

I have an iPhone but with TMobile service.

I also have coverage in Mexico and Canada.

I can send texts to Androids.

Several years ago before I had TM I bought a Telcel sim for my iPhone and got a Mexico # number but still was able to send messages to my wife’s Android.

Who knows.

New Richmond...
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
10 helpful votes
8. Re: Telcel, texts and iPhone messaging.

It’s a function in your settings, if you have dual lines (eSIM & the chip) you can default which one is primary for both phone calls and data. When you set the default it also asks if you want to associate your contacts with the (Telcel) Mexico line. If you don’t allow your contacts to be associated that can cause some texting issues, and probably won’t show as an instant message on your iPhone, just as a regular text message. You might need to mess with your phone line settings to get it correct.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
151 helpful votes
9. Re: Telcel, texts and iPhone messaging.

Thanks for your help. I downloaded WhatsApp and that resolved most the issue.

Reply to: Telcel, texts and iPhone messaging.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.