We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
56 posts
39 reviews
Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?

Dear experts,

My husband and I would like to stay for 3 nights in late Feb, 2019, for daily hiking in Mt Cook NP. I have read many posts and articles about Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, and Twizel. Would you kindly help us decide which area to book our lodging. I fear our options may be limited because lodging demand exceeds supply here.

Our ideal lodging: a vacation rental - a home, apartment, condo, boutique hotel - with full kitchen and a washer, ensuite, queen or king bed, quiet, safe area, clean, no scented products such as air freshener, scented sticks, scented oil (we have allergies & asthma).

Our background:

This is part our 21-night trip in the South Island: Marahau, Golden Coast, Punakaiki, Arthur's Pass NP, Mt Cook NP, Wanaka, Te Anau, Curio Bay, Dunedin.

Likes: hiking, parks, gardens, nature, wildlife, photography, tranquility, open space, fresh air.

Dislikes: crowd, noise, seedy areas, cigarette smokes, pollution, bushfires, cyclones.

11 replies to this topic
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,334 posts
476 reviews
1. Re: Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?

definitelt mt cook village. the scenery, walks and views are right on your dooorstep. try alpine court lodge or motel.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,197 posts
450 reviews
2. Re: Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?

Your demands are unlikely to be fully met due to the limited accommodation in the area.

Aoraki-Mt Cook Village has 5 accommodation providers, ranging from 4 star hotel to the YHA hostel. Aoraki Court Motel gets the highest approval rating. There is no private accommodation apart from homes for the park rangers & pilots so no vacation rentals or condos.

Glentanner is a camp ground, specifically for camper vans and budget travellers. I have stayed there a number of times. Its facilities are basic - communal kitchen, guest laundry, TV room etc.

Twizel was built as a works camp for the power scheme and many of the homes have been bought as holiday homes so this is your best chance for AirBnB with full kitchen & laundry, but you have to factor in the drive to Mt Cook Village.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
50 reviews
3. Re: Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?

Hi,

>>Twizel was built as a works camp for the power scheme and many of the homes have been bought as holiday homes so this is your best chance for AirBnB with full kitchen & laundry, but you have to factor in the drive to Mt Cook Village.<<

and also the fact that it as scenic as any works camp you have ever seen with night life to rival a nursing home.

Cheers,

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
56 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?

Flyer: you make me laugh so hard. My hubby actually works in nursing homes. I don't mind the lack of nightlife because I read, keep a journal, and edit my photos at night.

Thanks to Zhuhai and Flyer, I looked up Twizel and Waitaki hydro scheme and power stations. I'm very interested in renewable energy so I will read more on this later.

Zhuhai's info helps me a lot. I think Twizel is my best bet at getting a clean, quiet vacation rental with a full kitchen and washer. Privacy, comfort and good sleeps are important for us, especially for a 3-night stay. Most accommodations at Mt. Cook Village are already booked on our desired dates, ranging from NZ$210-600 per night. They are not comparable in price or quality to the airbnb private homes in Twizel. Therefore, we will put aside 2 hours each day for driving to and from Mt Cook Village. We would think of the drive as an attraction in itself.

Furthermore, I read that Mt Cook Village and National Park are swarmed in February and March because of the Chinese New Year. I am confused: the Chinese folks from Mainland China are vacationing here in Feb and March next year? Or the Chinese New Zealanders are traveling internally? Why do them come here versus Abel Tasman NP, Curio Bay, Te Anau, Queenstown, Christchurch, etc.?

Oz
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?

Hi,

Chinese NY sees tens of thousands of newly affluent Chinese from China vacation in the Antipodes. The numbers are growing faster than China's economy.

My advice is to stay at Aoraki/Mt Cook. The walks and activities need "full days".

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,496 posts
285 reviews
6. Re: Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?

Here is a list of accommodation in the Mt Cook areas. Try contacting them direct.

Hermitage Hotel: http://www.hermitage.co.nz/

Aoraki Court Motel: http://www.aorakicourt.co.nz/

Aoraki Alpine Lodge: http://aorakialpinelodge.co.nz

Mt Cook Lodge and Motel: http://www.mtcooklodge.co.nz

YHA Mt Cook: http://www.yha.co.nz/

20-minutes away from Mt Cook village is Glentanner Park: http://www.glentanner.co.nz/

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,197 posts
450 reviews
7. Re: Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?

You are right about the quality difference which was what OZRCflyer was alluding to. Twizel is not the most desirable place to stay but good for very basic fishing lodge accommodation. I just got the feeling from your OP that you were after something a bit more stylish.

California
Level Contributor
11,223 posts
73 reviews
8. Re: Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?

The Hermatage has some self-contained chalets and Aoraki Court Motel has a nice kitchenette in their rooms. But if you are happy with what you found in Twizel and are okay with the drive each day to Mt Cook, then all is good.

It is the Chinese who have month-long holidays coming to New Zealand. Queenstown seems to be their main destination. There is a typical routing making a loop to Christchurch, taking in the West Coast Glaciers and Mount Cook. We caution about Mt Cook because there is so little accommodation there, but they will certainly mob* Queenstown, Te Anau, Fox/Franz, etc. Curio Bay is a bit out of the way and they haven't become that adventurous (yet!). This has become apparent in only the past few years and the infrastructure hasn't caught up.

*mob is relative. It won't be like Europe in summer. It impacts accommodation, but roads won't be a traffic jam and you won't have to queue up for an hour to see an attraction.

New England
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?

Op may find my experience of interest, posts #10 and #11:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g25511…

I stayed at the YHA Mt Cook, a single room. in April 2015. Would highly recommend it. There was no grocery store at Mt Cook at that time. Food at the restaurants were pricey and lousy, even by NZ standard.

New England
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?

Oops. I meant 2016.

Reply to: Mt Cook Village, Glentanner Park, or Twizel for 3 nights?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aoraki Mount Cook...