We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?

Anna Maria Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?

I heard that there have been many sightings of COYOTES on Anna Maria Island. Is this true and if it is should I worry about bringing my dog? What about my 3 yr old?

I heard they were on the beach by the Rod and Reel pier too.

Is it safe?

Thank you

16 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
543 posts
1. Re: Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?

They run the island. Make sure you pay them protection money.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
282 reviews
2. Re: Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?

Is this a real question or a joke?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,185 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?

There were a few sightings over the summer (July-ish) but haven't heard or seen anything recently. They've recently been reported in central St Petersburg, too -- which is a much more densely-populated area, so it wouldn't be surprising that they'd be on AMI, too.

Taking over? Hardly. A few random sightings are nothing more than 'hey, they're here."

Your 3-year-old is probably bigger than the coyote, and unless you're given to a habit of letting a toddler wander alone after dark, I can't imagine what threat the coyote could pose for a child.

You shouldn't let very small pets (cats and toy-breed dogs) out alone -- but you shouldn't be doing that anyway. If they're walked on a leash, I can't imagine what threat the coyote would pose.

They are not very big, and very, very shy....and they're not exactly overpopulated.

On the scale of viable safety threats this is way at the bottom of the list.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,162 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?

We have coyotes and bobcats in our neighborhood (not on AMI).

People who let their pets roam do loose them to predation, so most keep them on a leash. Fences dont keep them out, but not heard of them in people's lanais. And never seen one on AMI.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?

Here is a story from a local TV station from 4 days ago about Coyotes in St. Petersburg.

https:/…67-603435546

As said in previous posts, this would be a problem for pets left outside overnight.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
282 reviews
6. Re: Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?

Well that’s something else I’ve learned.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
586 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?

Yes we have quite a few in the St. Pete area. I've seen them several times at night or early mornings. I assume they're down by AMI as well. I am not bothered by them, I keep my pets inside at night and I've never felt in danger when I've stumbled upon one. They're small and seem to be very scared of humans.

northwest
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?

Well I must tell you that my husband got coffee at the coffee shop across from the plaza that the Feast restaurant is in Holmes Beach.I can't remember the name but anyway on this Friday around 9 AM walked over to the beach next to the condos that are over 3 stories and sat down a few seconds later a large coyote walked by about 20 ft from him and he said he was big about the size of a german shepard he (coyote) just stopped looked at him and walked off .

So this was during the day and not a little coyote.

Edited: 16 October 2018, 07:47
essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?

Maybe they are doing the second part of Coyote Ugly??

:-)

Leitchfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
10. Re: Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?

We saw a coyote walking down the beach today on the gulf side, about 1 mile north of Manatee Beach. Not many people out, but he/she didn’t seem to care anything about them. Just kept walking south bound and occasionally stopping to look around. Broad daylight, so it must be hungry, if it’s out hunting at that time. Seems like local authorities should figure out a way to eliminate them ASAP. Friday, 9 Nov, 2018, about 9a.

Reply to: Are Coyotes really taking over the Island?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island