We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach? Going with a baby (buggy) - URGENT!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
17 reviews
Which beach? Going with a baby (buggy) - URGENT!!

Hi all,

We plan to go to a beach today. Last time I went to broadstairs, I vaguely remember the beach was accessed via stairs/steep downhill road? I'm worried we"ll struggle with the buggy this time!

Can someone pls confirm?

I also remember seeing a beach from the train in margate (there were hardly anyone there!). We are driving this time. Can someone pls advise - is it ok if we go to margate instead, park in the station car park and take the buggy to the seaside? We don't a bright restaurants /shops scene. Just somewhere we can take the buggy with us while our 5yr old plays in the sand !

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
31 posts
1. Re: Which beach? Going with a baby (buggy) - URGENT!!

Hi there tulipzc,

My husband and me went to Margate a month ago and we parked the car at the station and then we went to the beach with our 4 year old so you can do this. We got there late so we were lucky to find a space. Unfortunately the little one needed to go to toilet when we got to the station and rushing I walked for about an hour and a half with my pencil skirt tucked in my knickers actually.

I hope we have a good time though as we really liked it actually.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,344 posts
196 reviews
2. Re: Which beach? Going with a baby (buggy) - URGENT!!

Margate station is right next to the Main Sands beach. Just a short walk away is the less touristy, more family orientated Westbrook Beach.

Broadstairs main beach, Viking Bay, is buggy accessible via a boardwalk across the sands from the bottom of Harbour Street. Harbour St is on a slope, though not massively steep. There are also several steps down from the main prom, and a lift from the clocktower end (sometimes this is not in operation though).

BUT this weekend is both Margate Soul Weekend and the start of Broadstairs Folk Week so expect both, and in particular Broadstairs, to be *exceptionally* busy, with street drinking etc.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,344 posts
196 reviews
3. Re: Which beach? Going with a baby (buggy) - URGENT!!

Probably too late now but if you are driving then I would say head for Minnis Bay at Birchington, due to this weekend's events in Margate & Broadstairs. Perhaps not the best weekend to take little ones into Broadstairs. In Margate, Dreamland car park is said to be affordable but likely to be busy or even full. You may be able to park on the street in Westbrook on the Royal Esplanade there.

Reply to: Which beach? Going with a baby (buggy) - URGENT!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Broadstairs